Does anyone play with fingers only?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Eric Gross

Post by Eric Gross »

I use only bare fingers, however I did practice with finger picks when I got a resonator, I tried different makes but ended up using Propik finger picks, they worked great especially the thumb pick. I have been playing fingerstyle on electric guitar for 30 years, I shape my fingernails into mini picks which works pretty well. One of my friends who plays a lot more than me super glues the ends of picks underneath his fingernails and then files them down, he has done this for so long you wouldn't know they are picks.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

This thread makes me wish I had my box of picks here in Berlin and not in storage in Stockholm! :) Since I started finding my style on lap steel I haven't used picks at all, but reading all this I'd like to see how they feel to me now.
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Mike OMalley, I relate completely to your standpoint. When I had my one and only lesson on steel in the eighties I came to the same conclusion but I now feel that my rejection of picks back then has put my development back twenty years. I still don’t like them that much and don’t use them at my workbench but I’ll always use them on a gig.

Why? Clarity, articulation, dynamic range and velocity. This is not to say that these functions are not available without picks, but rather that the range of these things is extended.

Which of the great lap steel players, Hawaiian or western swing, did not use picks? (I would anticipate silence in answer. Bobby Koeffer used a flat pick but no picks?) Why would that be? They all had the benefit of amplification so they didn’t need picks for volume.

My theory is that they all developed their style in the beginning on acoustic instruments, presumably with picks. The early players, Sol, the McIntire brothers, Bob Dunn and Leon McAuliffe had no alternative as they began before amplification. Others like Joaquin, Jerry, Noel and Herb Remington started early in Hawaiian schools or with teachers. I would suggest that a kid starting out back then would be unlikely to get an electric.

So, I pose the question, is the electric Sol possible without acoustic Sol? I would suggest not and his mighty right hand developed such clarity and velocity while digging in hard to get the acoustic instrument to speak. I surmise that developing chops while needing to play hard is key and is greatly beneficial to the development of coordination and control. (Mike Neer, was your time on acoustic Tricone with the Moonlighters the making of your right hand?)

I would also suggest that successfully using picks has a parallel in the embouchure of brass players. It takes a while to develop and needs to be maintained.

That said, if you are not digging picks then they may put you off the instrument which would be a bummer. So in the end, whatever feels good.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Toward the end Buddy threw the picks away... just sayin'.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Dustin Kleingartner

Post by Dustin Kleingartner »

About picks being uncomfortable and whatnot:
You can't expect brand new picks to feel and play perfect out of the bag. Shaping them carefully with some small jewelry pliers goes a long way, as does covering them with electrical shrink fit stuff for comfort. A good set of picks takes awhile to achieve, but then they can last a long time... if you don't lose them.
Proud parent of a good dog.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

I use fingerpicks on resonator for volume and tone. I use bare fingers on lap and pedal. I do find that I have to make sure to get enough practice hours in so that I have some callus built up on my picking fingertips or else my attack suffers. The part I can't get past on fingerpicks with electrics is the tiny little click at the beginning of the attack. Probably picking too hard.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
David Renson

Post by David Renson »

I've played elec guitar for 50 years but only a few months on 10 string console (Eharp & Holiday). Besides wanting to play big chords and some classic Don Helms & western swing,,,,I really want to be able to Solo any and all licks my blues/rock/fusion/jazz guitar brain comes up with. Ex: every lick Duane Allman & Dickie Betts played on "Live at Fillmore East" I can't imagine using picks as I'm always using my thumb and 1st 2 fingers (and palm) for muting.
Miles Lang

Post by Miles Lang »

I don't use picks on steel. I do a lot of muting with my fingertips and the picks just get in the way.
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Almost 6 months into taking the steel seriously (after 30 years of straight guitar.....25 of it professionally), and I'm about at the point where I'm going to put the picks aside.

I play bare fingers or hybrid flatpick/fingers probably 75% of the time on the armpit axe, and while I'm getting the hang of fingerpicks, I don't really love the feel and articulation so much. I find I definitely miss that flesh on string connection.

Honestly, there have been times, while I forced myself to use the picks, that I would walk away from a practice session thinking I should just give up steel altogether.......then as soon as I sit down with bare fingers, I get happy again.

It definitely seems like there will be tone and speed trade-offs, but if something leaves me not actually wanting to play, it's probably best to put it aside, IMO.

Not to mention, since I plan on hauling this out for gigs real soon, and switching off with my guitar (even mid-song), it's just more practical this way.

YMMV.
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Volume is the main issue also getting clean articulation with fingers is tricky.

Picks just make life easier but there will be a HUMP to get over.
:D
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Stephen,
Toward the end, Buddy threw the guitar away. :(
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Stephen Cowell wrote:…I developed a five-finger technique on armpit guitar and just couldn't part with it for steel.…
Armpit guitar! That is funny but also a good description. If lap steel is okay than armpit guitar is apropos too.
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Forgive me if I missed this while reading the thread.

Steel guitar player with bare picking fingers?

Freddie Roulette!

A7 if I recall.

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/008381.html

http://www.well.com/~wellvis/roulette.html

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 9f87d7b91c

"Freddie Roulette - no picks ever, coated bar, no volume pedal, generous use of volume knob"
David M Brown

Post by David M Brown »

Jim Fogarty wrote:
I play... hybrid flatpick/fingers....steel .
I've had situations where I had to play a lot of guitar and a bit of steel, using an A/B switch.

So sometimes I had to play steel with hybrid pick/fingers. Like Steve Howe.

I ain't Steve Howe.
Randy Chow

Post by Randy Chow »

I am new to lap steel and have tried playing with finger picks but it was a disaster. I think playing the bass with bare fingers for 30+ years have led me to play the lap steel the same way. I am still having trouble finding lessons so there is no one to tell me that my techniques and equipment are all wrong. :?
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

I'm a pick guy. On armpit guitar I play hybrid (flatpick and fingers). I feel that I have more control with picks. I don't have the toughest finger tips or nails, so I can use all the help I can get.

I find it interesting that in bottleneck slide playing picks are discouraged. Duane Allman, Ry Cooder, Derick Trucks, Warren Haynes, Sonny Landreth... I don't think any of those guys use picks.

But I can't think of a Hawaiian or country swing player who doesn't use picks.

Like tunings, it's whatever gives you the results you want.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

I take a 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin in my coffee every-other morning. My finger nails are as tough as a standard, medium, finger pick. They are so tough I need to use a toenail clipper to trim them.

So long metal finger picks :D

I've been playing "under-arm" standard guitar for 55 yrs...thumb + three fingers style (no finger picks)!
Dave Thier

Post by Dave Thier »

Paul Arntson wrote:I use fingerpicks on resonator for volume and tone. I use bare fingers on lap and pedal. I do find that I have to make sure to get enough practice hours in so that I have some callus built up on my picking fingertips or else my attack suffers. The part I can't get past on fingerpicks with electrics is the tiny little click at the beginning of the attack. Probably picking too hard.

I can understand the no fingerpicks option for lap steel. Amplification and relatively lighter gauge strings make this possible. A resonator is a much more physical instrument with heavier strings driving a a cone. Fingerpicks are a necessity to achieve the tonal and volume potential of the instrument.
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

Ben Harper plays both lap steel and weissenborn without picks
Steve
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Couldn't imagine how much playing with bare fingers at speed would sound.

But the warmth of the fingers can't be beat. However when I hear the timbre and clean sounds of Doug Jernigan or Buddy or Tom wouldn't think it could sound any better than it already does.

Plus consider the hours of woodshedding and the painful callouses you will get plus infections. Ouch.

No thanks I'm picks all the way. I developed a cut from practicing palm blocking on my ring finger. Wouldn't wish that on anyone especially on your fingertips. :whoa:
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"