MCI Range Expander vs MSA Classic D10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ed Boyd

MCI Range Expander vs MSA Classic D10

Post by Ed Boyd »

If both guitars are in equal condition which is the better guitar? I found this MCI that is local. I found 2 black MSAs online. The MSAs will be detailed and setup by a professional tech. The MSA has True Tone pickups.

Here are pictures of the MCI. The seller inherieted the guitar and he doesn't know anything about them either. If the guitars are equal quality guitars I will probably lean toward the MSA because of the setup, detailing and new strings I will be getting. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Ed Boyd on 26 Feb 2016 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

Thanks everyone.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Both are Bud Carter designs, the MCI is the next generation. I'd buy it and have someone knowledgeable check it out.
Dustin Rigsby

Mci

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Can't go wrong with either,however, if they're pretty close in price I would buy that MCI. It has a 3 raise 3 lower changer,while the MSA's are 2 raise/lower. Both guitars I believe Bud Carter had a hand in designing. There may be some debate but Bud Carter was the father of modern (nylon tuning system)all pull steel guitars .
D.S. Rigsby
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

Thanks. I'm taking a friend with me to play the guitar and check it out. The seller has several for sale. This is probably the only doubleneck in my possible price range. Right now the seller was asking retail prices on ebay. ($2500) He said would let me have it for less. I guess the selling fees are high on ebay. If I was going to pay retail I would buy from a shop with a good tech. The MSA is 1599 plus shipping and insurance As Is. Plus another 300 to covert it to an Emmons setup and new strings and detailing.

Thanks
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

I haven't seen any videos of Buddy playing a MSA, but there's a few where he's playing a MCI, get my drift.......?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I'd choose the MCI. They're roughly equally good mechanically, but the MCI won't weigh as much. MSA are legendary for the mass. If you're gonna gig it, grab a guitar that won't make you dread the loadout.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

My vote would be the MCI, too. Great guitars and I think they're pretty simple to work on. I had one briefly and had to switch it from 'Day' to 'Emmons' in order to make the sale when I ordered my new Zum.

I remember its terrific sustain up the neck.

Believe me - if I can switch changes on one then anyone can - I'm hopeless.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Daniel J. Cormier

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

MSA is a great guitar , but if price is the same price I would grab the MCI .It will have much better tone and is much easier to change setup on
Daniel J. Cormier
Rittenberry with Tone to the bone,profex or tubefex and what ever amp, hilton pedal, BJS bars. Email at kajunsteelman@yahoo.com.
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

Square cross-shafts are better.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

But round shafts allow perfect pull timing, more variables even than the Emmons 14 hole
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Lane is quite correct. I've had several MSAs and several MCIs. If I had to choose between the two brands, I'd pick the MCI.

BUT, that's because I have played both brands for extended periods and know what fits me best. Ed, you may prefer the MSA. The only way to know is to sit down behind each one and see for yourself which you like better.

As said previously, they are both fine steels that will give you many years of reliable service. The real question, and the only one that matters, is which one do you prefer.
Best regards,
Mike
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

MCI, no contest.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

You're all wrong. Get the MSA and send the MCI to me. Welded frame MCI's are terrible instruments on which only Buddy Emmons could sound good. I will dispose of it in an environmentally responsible fashion.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

get the mci for as cheap as you can.

say, 'hey man, they don't even make these anymore. i'd be taking a chance. i'll give you $1400!'
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

That is a good question. If my friend checks this guitar out and everything is good, What is fair value for the MCI in a private individual sale?
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

Only drawback I see w/MCI is the Barcus Berry pickups. Get someone to install different pu's. With older MSA's, it's the round cross shafts and weight. Me personally, I'd spend the money on a new S-10, especially if it's your first psg.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

The MCI because its lighter by far, and much more rare.. MSA is a GREAT pedal steel, but they are around by the thousands and go cheap... The MCI is a much more rare steel.. thats what I would go for... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Just noticed the MCI asking price. Too much IMO especially considering the BB's, which I also didn't notice. :oops: Not more than $2K if I'm buying, less if possible. Feel free to disregard my comments however.
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

Thanks a ton Sir! No more than $2k was where I was at but I seriously didn't want to insult anyone by making a low ball offer.
Deane Cahoon

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Strictly speaking from my experience buying used stuff, you're in the good position buying from someone who inherited it and knows nothing about it, here's what I'd do:
If you can and feel comfortable doing so, bring cash with you when your friend goes to check it out with you. If all is well, offer to buy it cash now, have a predetermined amount in a wad in one pocket, say $1500. If he's like most people in his position, he'll go for the sure thing. If that doesn't work, offer to up it $200, which your friend will be holding and you will ask to 'borrow'. If that's still a no-go, say that's my offer and here is my email or phone # if you decide later on to sell to me. Don't be a jerk about it. Really, cash on the spot is a good strategy. I once bought a snowmobile during a snow storm for 25% below the asking price.
If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. Good luck.
MSA Classic D12 project, now an SD12, my 1st PSG. Hilton pedal.
1979 Carvin CM130 guitar (bought new with paper route money), Peavey Mace and Line 6 Spider amps.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I have an EMCI, same as an MCI and for tone, you can't beat them with a stick.
I have played Sho-Bud, and Emmons and sound beats them all hands down.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Either way you'll geta great steel, but the MCI would be my choice. The old MSAs had a reputation of being made out of solid lumps of a neutron star - very, very heavy!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Tommy Shown wrote:I have an EMCI, same as an MCI and for tone, you can't beat them with a stick.
I have played Sho-Bud, and Emmons and sound beats them all hands down.

Hands down ? :roll: :?:
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Phillip Ogle

Msa vs mci

Post by Phillip Ogle »

Dustin, not all msa's are double raise and double lower? I have an msa d10 vintage xl, and just traded an as d10. Both are triple/triple while the mci is much lighter, they are not as stable.l han a new mci, and it wobbled when you hit a knee lever,however l do like square cross shafts. Makes changes much easier. If l were a young man, I would probably take the msa.never had a problem with them. I've many msa's. Just my opinion.