Do some of the older players have the necks reversed ?

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pat Richardson

Do some of the older players have the necks reversed ?

Post by Pat Richardson »

I watch a lot of the older country music TV shows on RFD and YouTube . And is it my imagination , or do some of the guys who played back in the 60s have the E9th neck next to them and the C6th in the far position ? Opposite of what a Standard setup would be for a D-10 guitar today ? Please bare with me and ignore my ignorance on this as I welcome an answer from those of you here that are informed on the subject . thanks.
GFI D-10 Ultra, Peavey Nashville 112, Goodrich 120 .
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Curly Chalker had the C6 neck on the front, I'm sure there are others I don't know about. Not really sure why he did it this way, I never heard it explained. I'm sure other members will chime in with the reasons for this.
Sierra Crown D-10
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Ralph Mooney had his E9 on the back neck, but his front neck was some kind of open G I believe kind of like an extended dobro tuning
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Curly Chalker was a monster player on both necks. He loved to play C6th and everyone who was knew it was on the back neck. I have been told they would tell Curly to play the front neck. So he went and had the necks reversed so he could still play more C6th.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Pat, my friend Bruce Dobronski bought the black MSA from Curly Chalker in the late 1970's or early 1980's. It was a cool pedal steel and had the C6 tuning on the front neck. Bruce grew up in Champaign and started playing pedal steel a little after I did. He moved away before I remember seeing you on the scene. I love watching the old Wilburn Brothers Show. There are some cool youtube videos of Curly Chalker playing the black MSA on the Wilburn Brothers Show.
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Doug Jernigam, while
on Faron Youngs band,
had a Push Pull with
reversed necks.
~Rw
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

My Marlen was set up that way when I first got it. The gentleman that owned before me bought it that way in 1971. We is/was a huge Chalker & Mooney fan...
Pat Richardson

Post by Pat Richardson »

Thanks Bob, Russ and every one ! I watched them old Wilburn Brothers show on RFD and seen Curly playing and thought I was seeing things ! Come to think of it Mooney had a Sho~Bud set up that way in some of those Waylon videos . Oh well I dont feel as stupid is I did now !
GFI D-10 Ultra, Peavey Nashville 112, Goodrich 120 .
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Thanks Russ. I didn't know that but no doubt in my mind he could do good no matter which way he had them.RS
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Bernie Gonyea

Curly Chalker

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Paul : Are you telling us he used both necks with the C6th tuning. I'm aware that his back neck was tuned in Cth. Thanks..Bernie
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Mark Greenway

Post by Mark Greenway »

I had MSA build me a new Legend, and I wanted so bad to reverse the necks but was afraid I'd have a hard time selling it if I ever decided to sell it. It seems to me to be the smart way to set one up if you play more E9th than C6th.
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

In 1975 I took delivery of a new MSA White Tidewood Classic D-12 9 & 5 through Norlin, and the front neck was C-6 and rear E-9. I loved it and wish I had never sold it. It was last in So California. (baby come home)
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

:roll:
<b>Rick Johnson Cabinets<b>
<b>Brand X Custom Fiber Cases</b>
<b> John Pearse Thumb Picks, Bars and Strings</b>
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin