Is Steel Guitar Fading Away?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Of course it is. In the '70s, even the '80s there was all sorts of country rock, and C&W had steel all over the place. That's all gone now as well as the honky-tonks where the music thrived.

These days, not so much. Instead of being part of the band, it's a flavor, not an entrée. It is what it is. But have heart, most owners cannot play out for beans. There are still gigs for those who put in the hours to play the thing...
I need an Emmons!
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

For anyone that has Satalite XM radio, the Outlaw channel with not only older Waylonesque music but new artist and a new wave of Outlaw music featuring pedal and lap steel. Very refreshing and inspiring. Also, interviews and hosts like Steve Earl and Jim Lauderdale. Hope this catches on big time...👍
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Tom, that's perhaps the best description of the state of things I've seen, (except maybe in Texas or Oklahoma) "a flavor not an entree".
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

Bob - if you want to hear harp in a modern context check out bjork and/or cocorosie
Steel is doing fine. Was there really -that- much steel on country radio from the 70s until the neo-traditionalists of the late 80's/90's?
One thing that gets overlooked by members of this forum is that steel guitar is just an instrument. The goal of a musician should be to support songs.
The players who are really pushing steel guitar forward don't get a lot of recognition on this forum.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

also I agree with Jon Alexander’s post, and it made me realize that I forgot to add Jeremy Long to my previous list. A very tasteful player who you can hear on Sam Outlaw’s records. AND you can go see him play live with Sam. They’re on tour now, go see them!
b0b

Post by b0b »

Look at this guy's credits, then tell me that there isn't enough steel on today's records.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/greg-lei ... 02/credits

and of course, there's our good friend PF

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/paul-fra ... 78/credits

I've been getting a few steel gigs with younger bands. Sometimes I'm the oldest guy in the room by a long shot. I don't know why there aren't more young people taking up the steel. The things that young bands want from the instrument often aren't the mind-bending licks that we heard from Nashville in the '70s. Mostly, they just want clean, simple stuff like what Ben Keith played with Neil Young.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jeremy Steele

Post by Jeremy Steele »

Will Van Horn, I was on that Cayamo cruise you mentioned, and will corroborate your assertion that there were MANY acts using pedal steel (all of them fantastic, BTW)...Robby Turner was a standout, however...he blew me away.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

b0b wrote:Sometimes I'm the oldest guy in the room by a long shot. I don't know why there aren't more young people taking up the steel. The things that young bands want from the instrument often aren't the mind-bending licks that we heard from Nashville in the '70s. Mostly, they just want clean, simple stuff like what Ben Keith played with Neil Young.
I'd say it's probably because there aren't enough idol-types (young steeler role models) for them to emulate. In other words, this has sorta become an "old mans' instrument". Back in the '60s, when the instrument was in diapers, mostly all the really great and well-known players were in their 20s and 30s. Now, they're mostly older guys...old grey-hairs or old bald men who don't have a lot of influence or credibility with the younger generation. Young people just gravitate towards young people, and we've reached a point where there aren't any young and famous steelers.

All IMHO, of course. :|
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I don't know Donny, when I was sixteen I was seeing Willie Dixon and listening to B.B. King. Youthfool looks wasn't the most important thing. Off course I wanted to look like Alvin Lee :lol:
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Is Steel Guitar Fading Away?
Seems the environment in which it thrived is fading away and will, as a consequence, take a large part of it with it. It will go on, but it will never be the same... :\
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Joachim Kettner wrote:I don't know Donny, when I was sixteen I was seeing Willie Dixon and listening to B.B. King. Youthfool looks wasn't the most important thing. Off course I wanted to look like Alvin Lee :lol:
That was another time, Joaquim...back before MTV, CMT, and before the majority of younger listeners were infatuated with boobs, butts, biceps, and bellies. Back 30-40 years ago, you just had to be good, or weird and different, to get attention and platinum records. But nowadays, you have to be a young sex object. If you aren't, you might as well go find an indie label and take your shot, because the majors don't want you. :aside:
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

then how did adele make it?

i've got nothing against sex. ashley monroe is hot and i dig her singing and her attitude! there's nothing wrong with having it all going for you.

while we're on the subject, how did kanye west ever get popular?

the voice and idol seem to be pushing alot
of unattractive people into the spotlight.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Being young and fashionable is important for stardom, but you don't have to be beautiful. A sideman playing the steel guitar just has to fit with the visual style of the band, which is mostly about clothing and haircuts. Look at pictures of Buddy and Paul in the '80s. Trendy clothes are expected. If you show up in boots, snaps and a Stetson for an alt hipster gig, they won't call you back.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

b0b wrote:Being young and fashionable is important for stardom, but you don't have to be beautiful. A sideman playing the steel guitar just has to fit with the visual style of the band, which is mostly about clothing and haircuts. Look at pictures of Buddy and Paul in the '80s. Trendy clothes are expected. If you show up in boots, snaps and a Stetson for an alt hipster gig, they won't call you back.
I agree with you b0b. I ain't hip these days by a long shot. The players,music,and instrument are evolving. I haven't done very well at changing with the times,as I was already "ironically authentic", and I can't fit into skinny pants lol .More power to these kids. It's a different world these days. Artists have to develop themselves and bring a marketing plan and a following with them to the negotiating table when they try to get some financial backing from the labels. You're really signing onto their mass marketing power in exchange for your soul.
D.S. Rigsby
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

chris ivey wrote:then how did adele make it?

i've got nothing against sex. ashley monroe is hot and i dig her singing and her attitude! there's nothing wrong with having it all going for you.
For sure; even Adele has the "young and sexy" thing going for her:

...the voice and idol seem to be pushing alot
of unattractive people into the spotlight.
Whereupon, they then re-mold them into attractiveness. You can easily see the change in the performers as they progress through the eliminations in those shows. You have to have the look and as b0b said, something trendy. Steel players are sidemen, so they don't require the same polish and sex appeal as someone who's headlining the show.

Older music-loving folk, generally, don't care nearly as much about "trendy". They don't care nearly as much about a person's looks or dress. Witness: the three fiddle players in the Time Jumpers, for instance. Often, with age, there comes a "I've been around this long, and I can do what I want" attitude, but the younger set definitely prefers you fit-in.

Of course, if you're an alt-hipster, weird hair, a beard or soul patch, and some tats definitely seem to help. :lol:
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

Donny Hinson wrote:
For sure; even Adele has the "young and sexy" thing going for her:

wow.....not to mention 'airbrushing'!!!!!!
b0b

Post by b0b »

Actually, it's Photoshopped. This has drifted pretty far from being a steel guitar topic. Not sure how Adele is relevant to the subject at all. :?
Charles Campbell

Post by Charles Campbell »

Is steel guitar fading away...I don't think so, just listen to Zane King's Orange Blossom Special (Version #2).
Charlie
Joachim Kettner

Joachim Kettner

Donny I fully agree with your previous assessmement. Voyeurism is taking over :(
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Orange Blossom Special is hardly a tune that demonstrates that steel is alive and well.

Pedal steel isn't nearly as desirable to play as a first or even second instrument in a band as it once was as recently as the '70s.

It joins the accordion, clarinet, xylophone, horns of all shapes and sizes as a niche instrument. You either like playing it for what it is or you move on.

Steels are heavy, cumbersome, need a high-power amp and accessories to join the fun. I recently bought a banjo for frailing and I have a fiddle or two and a decent mandolin. They are all portable and fun not to mention the three Cajun 10-button accordions I also play regularly.

So it's a crapshoot as to whether the pedal steel will be around in any significant numbers in the not too distant future.
I need an Emmons!
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

At a gig last night, after some of my (very poor) Mooney imitation, a "bro country" dressed patron came up and said "what the [heck] is that???".

I gave the usual "it's a pedal steel" schpiel. After the gig, we talked a bit. "Yeah, I know what *steel* is..." :) Said he'd seen country cover bands around but he thought the steel put us up a bit.

I know what he means. The younger guys seem to roll into some uncanny valley of the same generic sound. Our singer is more ... raw and this lets us embrace more of the traditions.

So the truth is out there, but it's not ... evenly distributed. Keep at it; they'll find you.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

b0b wrote: If you show up in boots, snaps and a Stetson for an alt hipster gig, they won't call you back.
LOL! A couple years back, I got a call from a just such a band. They'd never seen me but heard I was a pro steel player, and they were a hot new country band and needed a steel player for a local showcase gig. It paid good so I accepted and learned the material.

I showed up in b0b's exact description of my clothes. Talk about feeling like a marshmallow in a raisin box! I could have come onstage in a wheelchair and couldn't be more out of place. :lol:

Everyone in the band was in uniform. Sleeveless t-shirts, torn jeans not even suitable for paint rags, and backward ball caps.

It felt like I was onstage at the Grand Ol' Opry. :lol:

Hey, they played good, and when I was their age I lost gigs because I had long hair. I know from rebellious youth and changing preferences of dress.

I'm reminded of an old Hank Jr. tune: "Why don't you leave them boys alone and let'em sing their song."
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

I see no difference from the 70s to now. Ask anyone on the street if they know what a pedal steel guitar is, and you'll get a negative answer pretty much all of the time. No one who isn't making/playing music cares. Is it fading away, heck no. Look at all the young guys playing and getting good. It will persevere at least in the community of steel pickers.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Allan Jirik wrote:I see no difference from the 70s to now.

huh ... good for you