Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Quarterly Meeting!!!!!

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Peter Hart

Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Quarterly Meeting!!!!!

Post by Peter Hart »

On Sunday, February 28th, The Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association will be having their quarterly meeting.
The doors will open at 12:00 noon (or soon there after) and will run until 5:00pm.
We will arrive, setup, tuneup and jam for a while afterwhich we will have a quick business meeting and then back to jamming! It will be fun for all!
Be sure to bring your own food and drink, and maybe a little extra!
If you have not paid your annual due this would be a great time to get that squared away too!
I suppose you want to know where the meeting will be held?? :-)
The meeting will be at the Tiverton VFW, Post 5392, 134 Shove Street, Tiverton, Rhode Island.
I hope to see you there!
Jim Rice

Post by Jim Rice »

Thanks for the reminder Pete. Looking forward to see everyone there!

It's a pot luck lunch so bring something to share.

If you have joined our Facebook page, see the list of jam songs and other helpful documents. I'll try to post some directions there also. If you're not on Facebook send me a PM or email and I'll send you the docs.
RISGA President: GFI SD-10, 1969 Emmmons D-10, Nashville 112, Hilton pedal
manny escobar

I Can Not Wait!

Post by manny escobar »

It`s two weeks from now and I am getting excited! We will be having so much fun. One note of caution. If we bring drinks into a room that has a bar, the "Wheeler & Dealer" Jim Davis will throw us out. Our treasurer Roger Trahan is playing that same room from 6-10pm with the band "Crossfire". The other RISGA member, Elaine Ellis is their bass player. I wonder if Elaine and Roger will have the stamina to pick and grin from 12noon to 10pm.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Jim. Peter. and Manny glad you guys are going to be at the VFW in Tiverton,Anna and I use to go there with Al Carter and his wife every Friday night to see Nancy Rayel and Roger Trahan on Steel.That is a nice place and you will enjoy it.If we were up there we would be at the meeting and stay for the band after so we could dance.Have a good time Back in Rhode Island.
Sam & Anna
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Jim. Peter. and Manny glad you guys are going to be at the VFW in Tiverton,Anna and I use to go there with Al Carter and his wife every Friday night to see Nancy Rayel and Roger Trahan on Steel.That is a nice place and you will enjoy it.If we were up there we would be at the meeting and stay for the band after so we could dance.Have a good time Back in Rhode Island.
Sam & Anna
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Jim Rice

Directions to Tiverton VFW

Post by Jim Rice »

I just posted a map with the location of the Tiverton VFW on our Facebook page. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Remember it's a pot luck so bring something to share, but no drinks allowed. The VFW has whatever you need to quench your thirst!

Also take a look at the various files I've posted recently including:
- List of jam songs, and keys
- Jam etiquette
- Farewell Party Tab

If you can't get to the Facebook page and would like any of these files, just send me a PM and I'll send them to you. Or you can join our Facebook Group!
Peter Hart

Post by Peter Hart »

One more week until our meeting! Hope to see you all there!
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

bump
manny escobar

All Levels Of Skill Are Welcome At The Meeting

Post by manny escobar »

I can`t master such a long list of songs. I`ll have to do some faking, and maybe throw in an idiot sweep or two. Only five days til fun time.
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

I've got a Friday gig on Long Island and Saturday in Springfield - don't think I'll have energy on Sunday, but who knows? Lots of coffee and donuts!
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Jim Rice

Post by Jim Rice »

Hey Carl, according to Google there are at least 4 coffee and donut shops within 1/2 mile of the Tiverton VFW, so there's no reason to miss the jam.

Plus, we get to see Manny "fake it" for 3 hours! (I doubt it)

I think we may have a couple of new players and old friends show up too.
Peter Hart

Post by Peter Hart »

I have a gig tonight in Framingham, should be getting home early though! Come on down Carl! We can do this!
BAD NEWS: I won't be bringing the EMMONS!
GOOD NEWS: It's because I dropped it off to Tommy Casella for a bit of a tune-up!
See you all there, 12:00 sharp!
Charles Rodrigues

Post by Charles Rodrigues »

Peter, where did you pick up the EMMONS? It's in good hands now. Tommy Cass does beautiful work.

Chuck
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I will be there as well ! Looking forward to seeing everyone and jamming :mrgreen:

And I'll bring my Emmons
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Peter Hart

Post by Peter Hart »

Hi Chuck. I picked up an old S10 split tail Emmons about 2 months ago. I was going to bring it to the meeting but I decided to bring it to Tom last Friday for a "tuneup". I'll see it again in a few weeks. .... Karen, It'll be good to see you. I'll bring my homemade version of the "Blackbox". I would like to hear what the real one sounds like! Just got in from a gig in Framingham. Outrageous Fortune played then we went on! A fun night for sure. Now to unwind...see everyone tomorrow!
Karen Sarkisian

I will bring both the black box and the freeloader :mrgreen:
Peter Hart

Post by Peter Hart »

We had a great meeting today! About 20 members and a few guests were in attendance. We all set up and jammed for a while. We then had our business meeting and went back to playing. It was a great afternoon. Did I say it was great?? :-) Plenty of food, fun and friendship! That's what it's all about!
I want to thank our President, Jim Rice, Vice President, Jo Vierra and Treasurer, Roger Trahan for making this a very enjoyable afternoon. It was good to be back. Haven't been to a meeting since May 2015! I had the priviledge of sitting between two of our steel guitar greats, Roger Trahan on my left and Karen Sarkisian on my right! My God can they play! Hope you got home okay Karen (Car trouble).
I was especially pleased by the participation by all. So much talent and EVERYONE gaining confidence and experience by playing in front of others by "jumping off that cliff" and giving it a go! This is how we learn.
Our next meeting is scheduled for June 12th at the same place, The Tiverton, Rhode Island VFW on Shove Street! Write it down, pencil it in, or put it on your calender, but be there! I'll try too!! :-)
Karen Sarkisian

Thanks Peter ! And thanks for the jump I made it home fine. Such a fun time and so good to see everyone !
manny escobar

Holy Cow

Post by manny escobar »

I think it was the quarterly meeting of all quarterly meetings. Steel guitar celebrity Terry Sutton drove 99.6 miles from Connecticut. Thank you Mr. Sutton. (Smooth playing) There are too many highlights to write about here, but Karen Sarkisian, the return of Jim Sprague, Ben Canevale and so many others made for a fun day. Roger Trahan did a good job as a conductor. The town of Bristol,RI wins for having three RISGA picker there. They were Jim Sprague Russel Carter and Joe Ferrie.
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

When is the next meeting?

I was wiped from doing Long Island Friday and Springfield Saturday - got home at 2 am Sunday, and decided to veg on Sunday and watch basketball..
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Peter Hart

Post by Peter Hart »

Can't blame you there Carl. We'll see you next time!