Lonesome On'ry and Mean licks by Ralph Mooney

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Jeff Rady

Lonesome On'ry and Mean licks by Ralph Mooney

Post by Jeff Rady »

Hey all! Here are some great Mooney licks I gleaned from the studio recording of Waylon's "Lonesome, On'ry and Mean" I transcribed the very fist lick at :09 and then the entire verse starting at 1:59.

Here's a video of the first lick and it's breakdown, plus the performance of the entire 2nd verse and Chorus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxORjtCmKOU

The whole 37 min.video lesson is on my web site: www.RadyGuide.com if you want to get the entire tab and breakdown.

Feel free to check out all my tabs and video lessons
@ http://radyguide.com/pedal-steel/

Use Promo Code: SGF001 for 1 month free subscription (Pedal Steel Package)(You still have to go through PayPal, but just cancel via Paypal before the month is up and get your month free!)
http://radyguide.com/guide-shop/subscriptions/
Matt Elsen

Post by Matt Elsen »

Nice, Jeff!

Ralph's playing on those old Waylon albums was what hooked me on steel guitar and I still love them and listen to them to this day. This tune just about takes the cake - Mooney just kills it!

Great job on the lesson - very well presented.
Jeff Rady

Post by Jeff Rady »

Thanks Matt! I agree a Mooney classic for sure!
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Thanks for this one, Jeff. That's a tricky little piece of work. I like the sound your pulling from that Williams.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Andy Keen

Post by Andy Keen »

Nailed it! Very well done! Thanks so much for sharing
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

Nice Jeff! Working out the solo to that one (from Waylon Live version) made me work on forward rolls like crazy! Good stuff!
Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

I love Ol' Moon's work on Waylon's albums. Always will. He's right up there with the late Buddy Emmons who, for a time, played some steel guitar with the late Danny Gatton at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA as one of the Redneck Jazz band members. I've got a CD of the June 10, 1988 set that someone sent me and I absolutely love hearing the interplay between Gatton and Emmons.

I often wonder how (or if) Moon would have fit in with Gatton's playing or whether Gatton even knew who Ralph was?

I believe that the last CD appearance of Mooney was on Marty Stuart's "Ghost Train: The Studio B Sessions" CD way back in 2010....golly, it don't seem like it's been that long.
Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I believe Ralph Mooney couldn't have kept up with Gatton, sorry.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jeff Rady

Post by Jeff Rady »

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I like Mooney cause he's got really cool rhythmic ideas, and his approach and style is real unique, and he seems to always stick in a fair amount of the blues, he's just Mooney! I think comparisons to Emmons always happen. But, I just don't know enough about Emmons work to have a strong opinion. I've only dabbled in Buddy's stuff, and for whatever reason I've always felt Mooney has been more accessible to me, could be due to my level of expertise at this time. They just seem totally different, really incredible, and have a very unique style, and that's my two cent's on that subject!
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Jeff,

Thanks for posting your TAB and link to your tutorial. I enjoyed both.

Back in the early 90's I was a member of a honky-tonk band, named the Wildsiders. The Wildsiders covered Steve Young's song, "Lonesome On'ry and Mean". We covered it mainly because the bass player, and singer of the song was a huge Waylon fan.

I shared the solo with the lead guitarist. However, I wasn't thinking of Mooney's approach to this song. I was thinking of Emmons, as the first version of this song that grabbed my ear was Steve Young's version from his 1975 album, Renegade Picker which featured the Big E playing "The Blade".

Anyhoo, just for grins, here are Waylon's version of the song and then Steve Young's version from Renegade Picker.

Waylon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1mw4ImMUmQ

and Steve Young
https://soundcloud.com/archimedes-gumbi ... -onry-mean

NOTE: The Steve Young link is to my SoundCloud page. After this track it will automatically start playing other selections on my page. I don't know how to prevent this (hi-tech challenged :roll: ). So, if you like, you can just close the window after the track plays.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Joachim Kettner wrote:I believe Ralph Mooney couldn't have kept up with Gatton, sorry.
Well, maybe. But here's a cut where Danny Gatton has his hands full (figuratively and literally) in a duo with Joey DeFrancesco. A clear-cut case of an ace guitarist with an encyclopedic knowledge of rock and rock-a-billy licks locking horns with a organist with an encyclopedic knowledge of jazz and music theory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6EjNcXXTo4

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Jeff Rady

Post by Jeff Rady »

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for sharing, That's a bad ass version! What's "The Blade?"
Mike Poholsky

Post by Mike Poholsky »

Fantastic studio work by Buddy Emmons on Renegade Picker. Its always been one of my favorite Buddy records.

The Blade was Buddys D10 Emmons Guitar. Wood Grain Mica, I believe.

Thanks for your post Jeff
Zumsteel 12 Universal
SGBB
ShoBud VP
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
David LeBlanc

Post by David LeBlanc »

Not to disrespect Danny Gatton, but his not the one that made Buck Owens , Merle Haggard & Waylon Jennings signature sounds. His not in Mooney`s league. SORRY.