National Reso-Phonic/Scheerhorn Collaboration

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

You would have to ask Tim Scheerhorn. I remember when I took a class from him a few years ago at ResoSummit in Nashville that he declared himself a "Type A" personality but he was working on slowing down. I recall him saying something along the lines that he would start the morning in his workshop around 4:30 or 5:00.

This goes with what Greg posted earlier regarding the innovations Tim has worked on, some which have have come to fruition and others perhaps have ended up on "the cutting room floor." He apparently always has some sort of new idea or project in the works.

Actually, I think 50 hours per guitar might be on the conservative side.
Mark
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

This is resurrecting an old thread, I know, but I just bought serial No 154, a Maple National Scheerhorn a few days ago, from the Australian distributor, Gladesville Guitar factory.

This is a magnificent resophonic guitar. Loud, nicely balanced across the strings, very easy to play and so responsive.

Here are a few photos. Note the label, it states quite clearly it is a Scheerhorn, and it was made in San Louis Obispo, with the date.

(All photos taken using a Panasonic GH4 with the flash on the camera, not studio-lighting:-)

Here's a slightly longer shot:-

Here's the label and you can see the inlay with that highly-respected name:-

I have it tuned EBDGBD and am learning this tuning using Greg Booth's inspiring YouTube videos. It opens up a whole new raft of possibilities.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's a beautiful guitar. Congratulations!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Hi Brad,

I took some more photos to show off the flamed Maple grain and the finish. First, the entire guitar,:-

and the back:-

and the removeable palm-rest:-

and the peghead, with more flamed Maple:-

and the sides, still more flamed maple:-

Fine guitars...sounding as good as it looks already.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Allen Hutchison

Post by Allen Hutchison »

Oh what a bewdy! 8)
Would love to see & hear that in the flesh :mrgreen:
Congrats Ned :D
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that looks nice! i want it.