Rick Alexander Non-Pedal Room 2016... Time to get started

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Stephen Cowell

Rick Alexander Non-Pedal Room 2016... Time to get started

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I've volunteered the resources of the Austin Steel Guitar Co-op (basically me) to run this year's RANP room. I'll be working closely with Albert & Debbie to see that the show is as good as it's ever been... planning on bringing back the lights and backdrop, for starters.

I'll need some help... here are three things I'll be focusing on:

1.) Talent -- I'm starting a list of folks wanting to play. This has to stay fluid, since we may have some very big dogs climb the stairs and toss away the pedals. If you'd like to be considered as an artist, contact me (see below).

2.) Sponsors -- I'm bringing drums and bass from our ASGC stable. These are pros that will be compensated and given hotel rooms. I'm planning on renting high-quality backdrop, lights, and PA equipment... thinking about camera/big screen on the fretboard (like downstairs), things like that. Any money will help, if you'd like to contribute contact me (see below).

3.) Volunteers -- I'll be needing help with setup, logistics, talent, etc... plenty to do. I've already got some folks on the list but if you'd like to participate contact me (below).

I'm also open to ideas, suggestions, etc... I'm thinking about having some more open format things, like jams, etc... we'll be missing Mr. Carol Benoit's room downstairs, so there is an opportunity to fill this need. My plans are to run my sidemen from 10-12 and 1-6... plenty of time for others to have fun in that room. Have ideas? Want to lead a themed jam? Have a lesson to give? Contact me.

scowell@sbcglobal.net
512 632 8593
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Whats the dates please Stephen.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Kevin Brown wrote:Whats the dates please Stephen.
Kevin, it's the 11th and 12th of March, Friday/Saturday of the TSGA Jamboree...

http://www.texassteelguitar.org/jam.html

Hope to see you there! You were a big part of my first Jamboree in 2012.

Thanks for bringing that up, btw... I should have mentioned it. We have the room all weekend as far as I know.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

A big hand to Steve for stepping in and taking the reins for 2016! Steve has also been a big help behind the scenes for several years with videography.

I enjoyed hosting the show for years, but my J.O.B. is as such now, that there is more on my plate, combined with less time off. I hope to be back some day, but for now, felt it best to “pass the torch”, and Steve is the perfect guy to pick it up.

The torch has been held by several over the years….Wade Pence, Chuck Lettes, George Piburn, Rick Alexander, myself, Howard Rienlieb, Albert Talley, and now Steve.

I hope folks will support Steve in his efforts to keep the Rick Alexander Non-Pedal room alive. Rick's widow Cathe will be honored to see that the show is retaining his name. Rick loved steel guitar and was a dear friend to all. He was only getting started with the plans he had for the show, for steel music, and tutorial videos.

If you love steel guitar, please try to attend the 2016 TSGA Dallas convention and support the event. It's really the only way it can continue. The Non-Pedal show has been going strong in Dallas for many years now. It has proven, that there is a following for traditional steel guitar. The show is simply about celebrating our favorite instrument. The more we attend, the more it shows the clubs that this music is just as important to the members, as the main room music. Let's keep it alive and well! :D :D :D

Thanks again Steve, and thanks to Bob Blair, who I also believe is helping Steve out. Kudos!
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Hey thanks Jeff... hope you do make it back out, at least as an attendee. And thanks for your service to 'the cause'.

I've got a crew list going... currently we have:
Bob Blair
Rose Sinclair
Mike Misetich
Michael Barger
Dennis Bailey (also on main)
Mark Moseley

Thanks to these folks for volunteering time and/or equipment to the cause. Donations or commitment for donations keep trickling in.. we anticipate significant rental expenses, so don't be shy... you can PayPal me or you can just let me know that you'll hit me at the event.

And if you are an artist, and want to play, let me know... slots are still available.