Shoes?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

What I wear is a squared toe cowboy boot. The toe does not get in the way and a soft top does not interfere with the ankle movement. I have both short heel and riding heel. Looks professional and comes in several colors. I can't imagine a professional player going barefooted or in socks? Some of the folks I've worked for would fire you for not wearing footwear, it does not matter how well you play, there is always someone looking to take the job and always someone better (unless you are the Big "E". That's like wearing a ball cap on the Opry! What are we coming to?
Go Flamers!
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

yea... each different shoe needs a different pedal height I feel.. luckily I have quick adjusting rods... I ALWAYS wear nice boots at shows... people are looking at your feet (naturally) as your playing and one has to look good while at a gig.... moccasins or tennis shoes are fine at home but if you're playing a gig you have to do more than that IMO.
Jeffrey Smith

Don't Step On 'Em!!!

Post by Jeffrey Smith »

Blue Suede Shoes by Jimmy Choo (on amazon .com).

Do I own 'em? Nah! But next to cowboy boots, they're probably the most sung-about shoes.

They're by Jimmy Choo... so they ain't cheap!
Jason Lynch

Post by Jason Lynch »

Ok, serious question
Has anyone ever tried wearing ballroom dancing shoes to play in? The reason I ask is, for those who don't know, ballroom shoes have a soft suade sole. Not for use outdoors, but might provide bags of feel for pedal steel.
And yes. I do go ballroom dancing, before you ask!
Markus Mayerhofer

Post by Markus Mayerhofer »

I found it out to be good thing, to do your practice-routine with the same pair of shoes, boots or whatever you wear on stage.
I switched to cowboy-boots recently but i practiced around half a year at home with that boots till i felt confident to do my first gig with them.
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

I think it differs from person to person (widely) I saw Rusty Young playing in flip flops! -Jake-
Constantine Palaskas

Post by Constantine Palaskas »

Now take my input with a grain of salt since it's coming from a beginner on PSG, but the easiest shoes so far for me to feel the pedals and, mostly, avoid inadvertent adjacent pedal presses are these somewhat odd looking martial arts shoes. http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Feiyue ... B00MH2QMWO
I suppose it may appeal to those you like moccasins. Now, I'm searching for a "high-heel" version of a martial arts shoe - without success I may add. Perhaps there is a specialty store in Thailand?

Gus
Michael Berry

Post by Michael Berry »

Converse AllStars
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

the man that taught me would not let me take off my boots to play ...
his thinking was to learn to play in what you wear
....took a while to get used to but he was right ..
now it doesn't make a bit of difference what i'm wearing
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
John Goux

Post by John Goux »

Another vote for Converse. Just enough support to cushion the dogs, and the stringless variety have a bit smaller toe for pedal accuracy. But anything can work if you wear the same shoes when you play.
J
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Got to be Reebox. Blue ones sound better.
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

I like Sperry canvas boat shoes.
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
Wesley Medlen

Post by Wesley Medlen »

I wear a pair of soft shoes by Dr. Schole (Walmart $30) or soft leather house slippers.
Justice S10 Jr, Gibson Electra 6string, Boss Katana 100, Steelers Choice ,Gretsch 6 string lap, Hilton VP
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Jason Lynch wrote:Ok, serious question
Has anyone ever tried wearing ballroom dancing shoes to play in? The reason I ask is, for those who don't know, ballroom shoes have a soft suade sole. Not for use outdoors, but might provide bags of feel for pedal steel.
And yes. I do go ballroom dancing, before you ask!
Had the same thought, but I'd have to find them - I had suede Capezio's..we haven't done ballroom dance for over 20 years :) They are great for feel! Definitely not for street use, unless you dance like Gene Kelly in "Singin' in the Rain"

I use some light weight New Balance - Minimus?? from their outlet store in Boston. They are not smooth soled, though..
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

These are the best;

Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps