Experience selling on Craigslist?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Experience selling on Craigslist?

Post by Jim Cohen »

Any of you folks have experience selling on Craigslist? I know enough to beware the scammers who say they'll pay you with a huge check and you send them the change in cash. D'uh.

But I'm not so keen on having total strangers come into my home to try out instruments. Since I'm selling some electric guitars (6-string), I can't really just meet them in the parking lot of a neutral place, as they would want and need to plug into an amp to try the guitars adequately.

So, what's been your experience, and what do you recommend? (FYI, I would offer these here on the Forum - and might still do so if they don't sell locally - but I'd prefer to sell locally so I don't have to deal with packing and shipping, worry about damage in transit, etc.)

Thanks.
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

Jim
My suggestion to you is to meet at a music store somewhere for them to try out the guitar. Cash only of course.

Are there Guitar Center's in your area? Since they buy and sell all the time, bringing in a guitar would not be a big deal to them.

Happy Holidays.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

Over the years I've sold a lot of stuff on craigs list. I've let buyers come to my house on numerous occasions. I believe that I can get a sense of who I'm dealing with and for potential problems from questions being asked and back and forth conversation. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Mark, so at the GC, we would have to pretend to be interested in buying an amp?

Howard, thanks for the offer; we'll meet at your house, then! ;)
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

I have done quite a bit of dealings on CL. I just meet them at the police station parking lot or in front of a starbucks store. I have had better luck there than anywhere else on the internet. Follow CL rules and only deal locally, face to face.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

James, so people buying an electric guitar will be happy to buy it without ever plugging it in and hearing its tone?
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I completely avoid Craig's List because of that security issue.
John McIntosh II

Post by John McIntosh II »

Just my two bits....When selling on Craigslist, my experience has been much like Howard's, and on occasion I have welcomed someone into my home to try out gear I was selling, but only if I got a "good vibe" from them (and in truth, the small town atmosphere where I live fosters a sense of safety/security that bigger areas probably wouldn't be advisable trusting in). Here's another thought, and something I've done numerous times....do you have a fairly small amplifier? I used to bring a power inverter (just a cheap little Coleman I bought at the local Big Lots store) and my Mustang III, and would let a potential buyer try out an electric that way....Never had a problem powering it (not even a big ol' Peavey KB5 portable P.A. system, though it did seem like it was a little much for something that big to draw current from an inverter that was so small)....Just start your vehicle up, power up the inverter, and voila! Now my RAV4 has a built in inverter and I don't have to carry my little Coleman around any longer 8)
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

I have sold some guitars and amps on CL and a few vehicles. My rules are simple. First we meet at a public location, and second I take another person with me and never at night. I had one questionable situation helping a friend early on. So that is how I play the game. Legitimate buyers have no problem. Flakes won't go for it. I would say the good people are over a thousand to one, just play it cool.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Jim Cohen wrote:James, so people buying an electric guitar will be happy to buy it without ever plugging it in and hearing its tone?

Sure, why not ? I buy guitars and steels online and I never plug them in and hearing their tone. Look at the classifieds here on this site. It happens all the time.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Well now, James, that is a very good point indeed. Of course, people buying face to face might have different expectations from those who are buying online from a distance. I know I would.
Darrell Owens

Cl

Post by Darrell Owens »

I have bought and sold numerous things on CL. Never had a problem, but I do a good phone conversation. I can always tell whether someone is a musician, and musicians are usually pretty good folks. I am in So Cal and you would think that would be full of scammers, but I have found local buyers and sellers to be good. Beware of out of town deals and if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. I think if you use good judgement, you will be fine.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Jim Cohen wrote:Well now, James, that is a very good point indeed. Of course, people buying face to face might have different expectations from those who are buying online from a distance. I know I would.
That may be, but so far the only issue I had with a face to face was a misrepresented item.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Jim, I had few weirdos coming to my house, so I have a friend with a big pawn shop down town, I just pawn a guitar for few bucks, and then when someone wants to see it I just meet them at the shop, with bunch a people around, and armed security guard ... they even have amps if anyone wants to plug guitar in, and try it... it worked great for me...
Ken Wentworth

Hi Jim

Post by Ken Wentworth »

Good thought Jim.. All I can say here is the country is changing . As for me I say when they come to your home they have you isolated and can do whatever they want to do. And you will be helpless . And you must remember that they know what you want to hear , Will bad things happen to you. Maybe or Maybe not . As for me . I have decided I am no longer going to bring strangers into my house so they can look at everything I own and MAYBE come back latter . Or maybe shoot me on the spot and take what they like . I always have but things have changed in the last few years . I do lot's of deals with folks . But not at my home any more . I actually picked up a travel trailer and that is now my office . Out of site out of mind. Pretty depressing
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

I have the same problem. I have three Peavey bass rigs that I used in a church praise team. Local Craigs List here in Houston is not an ideal/safe way to sell them. Can't just load them up and meet someone in a parking lot either. Might have to donate them to some youth group just to get them out of the house!
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I live near St. Louis and the fear of problems far outweigh the need to sell. Our local music store will sell on consignment and for me that's the safest bet. Many music stores offer this service. Just my thoughts.
Scott Malchow

Post by Scott Malchow »

Jim, I have done some Craigslist selling, but I actually prefer online selling and shipping. The time spent communicating and weeding out serious buyers from tire kickers hasn't always been worth it to me. Figuring out a place to meet can also be cumbersome. Needing an amp does complicate your situation. I wouldn't want people coming to my house, either.
That being said, here are some ideas that may or may not work for you. I've used some of them. How about meeting at a House of Worship (where you have done some relationship building) to use a space for a brief time on short notice? Or maybe a Community Center, VFW, Knights of Columbus, etc? Maybe a Recording studio where you have a connection where there are offices or 'public spaces' where you could meet? Maybe a public Library conference room? An educational institution- a college commons (or practice rooms)? One time I met someone at a friend's Real Estate office in a part of town that was convenient to a motivated buyer. I realize these may be impractical for you, but I'm just throwing out a few ideas.....
Scott
In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists.
~ Eric Hoffer, philosopher and author 1902-1983
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks, Scott. Some good ideas there...
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

fwiw, I'm an avid Craigslister.
I bought this pair of skiboots last night!
Tried them on in the sellers living room, and made a new friend.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/spo/5333406331.html

I never have folks come to my house.
I have met guys at local music stores.
I have gone to other folks houses tons of times without issue, even if I am the seller.
fwiw, Craigslist buyers already know what they want.
They know what it sounds like or feels like or what size they need.
They are just looking for a better price rather than buy brand new.
fwiw, I rarely use Ebay.
My 2cent.
:)
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I bought a Taylor T5 guitar from a Chemist at his house,well I guess he was a Chemist from all the bubbling stuff going on.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

I've bought and sold a ton of music gear, furniture, our kids clothes, even a vehicle or 2. Its a classified. Gotta use your head. Meet at a shop or other public spot. Ask all your questions up front. Look the item over before you buy it.
Joseph Napolitano

Post by Joseph Napolitano »

I live in New Jersey. Letting strangers into my house is out of the question. No brainer .
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Dick Wood wrote:I bought a Taylor T5 guitar from a Chemist at his house,well I guess he was a Chemist from all the bubbling stuff going on.
lol....

If you have a lot of gear and doing casual transactions from home... I think having an insurance policy would help give some peace of mind.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Jim, As someone else mentioned, I have also met guys at Guitar Center.
They check-in your guitar when you enter.
Then you can "try out an amp".
One time I was selling a Squire 5-string Bass, and I used a radio shack adapter to plug it into to my car stereo, for the buyer to try out. We met in a nearby Mall parking lot that day.
A battery powered amp is another way to demo a guitar.
My thought is most folks know what they want to buy, but CL meetings allow the buyer to make sure it's in "acceptable" condition, and can make a cash-in-hand offer if it is a "obo" item.
I always try to negotiate a win-win deal.
Let us know how it goes! :)
Pete B.