Cabinet Drop for Sierra Pedal Steels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charley Bond

Cabinet Drop for Sierra Pedal Steels

Post by Charley Bond »

Does the Sierra have much cabinet drop in a controlled environment...?
Jess Tolbirt

Post by Jess Tolbirt »

although i really dont know the answer, i dont see how it could because the u-12 i have out in the garage weighs about 1279.5 pounds,(lol),,yes very heavy and lots of metal in this thing..I bought it because the price was right and am thinking i could make a few nickles selling it, but shipping would be very high.its all i can do to pick it up,,need to put it on the scales...
just thought i would make a reply since no one has.
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

I have a 2000 Sierra D10 and a 2001 SD10. I haven't seen anything that bothered me about cab drop.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

I would think not due to the fact that they are all aluminum aprons all the way around.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I have a very sensitive tuning meter. In my experience, the cabinet drop is about the same as a wood guitar, less than 5 cents. The exact number depends on the guitar and copedent. It's not enough to bother my ears.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Charley Bond

cabinet drop

Post by Charley Bond »

Even aluminum has coefficient of expansion. But, by being in a controlled environment, temperature doesn't bother it.

String tension might...???? I gues I will have to see what I experience, I just bought a new Peterson StroboHD
b0b

Post by b0b »

Temperature changes were a problem with my Sierra (Crown model). I was set up under an air conditioning vent, and when the air came on the guitar detuned very quickly. This was back when I was drinking, and it took a lot of detuning for me to even notice. I don't play in that bar anymore. :whoa:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

charlie...play the guitar. if you don't hear a problem, don't worry about what your tuner says.
have a drink and enjoy!
Charley Bond

cabinet drop

Post by Charley Bond »

I will get to playin as soon as I git r tuned up... never had a great tuner before. I guess I'm gonna experience some "sweetened Tuning"....
Charley Bond

cabinet drop & tuning

Post by Charley Bond »

...while you folks are here. The guitar store suggested that I plug the guitar into the tuner, the tuner into the pedal & the pedal into the amp.

When I'm tuned up, do I turn off the tuner..?
Dennis Wood

Post by Dennis Wood »

I have two Sierra's, a u-12 Crown and a u-12 Session. I have three pulls on each of the 0, A, & B pedals and have no problem with de-tuning. I use Jeff Newman's E's @ "0" tuning on the peterson stroboflip for both Sierra's.

DW
auribus teneo lupum
Dennis Wood

Post by Dennis Wood »

I'm not familiar with the Peterson StroboHD. I don't leave my tuner in the line. I plug directly into the guitar and remove after tuning or plug into the 2nd output on my Goodrich pedal. See the sticky in the electronics about the Goodrich pedal mod.

DW
auribus teneo lupum
Charley Bond

Peterson Tuner Goodrich Pedal

Post by Charley Bond »

The lady at Peterson got me straightened out. The volume pedal has 3 holes in it, one (marked INST) goes to the instrument. Two are marked AMP, one goes to the Amp & one goes to the tuner.

Done Deal.
Dale Foreman

Sierra cabinet drop

Post by Dale Foreman »

I don't know about the Sierra, but I had an EMCI U12 that had a horrible drop. Needless to say, I no longer own it.
Dale
Rittenberry Prestige(2)