Cromwell / Gibson lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joe Kaufman

Cromwell / Gibson lap steel

Post by Joe Kaufman »

What can you tell me about Cromwell lap steel guitars like this one below:

I was told they were made by Gibson. A seven string like this one reminds me of a Gibson EH100 with a teardrop shape. Are they on par quality wise with a Gibson or substantially less? The pickup looks interesting. Are they worth about half as much as a similar Gibson?
Last edited by Joe Kaufman on 18 Nov 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Model EG-H, built 1937-8. They're pretty similar to an EH-150, just with a different body shape. I'm a bit suspicious of the 7th string, partially because it was only catalogued as a 6-string and partially because that doesn't look like the original bridge.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Per The Other Brands of Gibson by Paul Fox, Centerstream Publishing, 2011:

"In 1935, Gibson started manufacturing another in-house budget brand called Cromwell. Unlike the Kalamazoo brand, Gibson hid the fact that they were "Gibson" made, opting for phrases like "Guitars By Master Craftsmen." Gibson wanted to maintain the "Gibson" name as the best brand (and most expensive), while offering the Cromwell line as a separate brand name for less cost; kind of like Michelin making all Sears-brand tires. Other than Kalamazoo, Cromwell was basically Gibson's other primary house brand. Mainly, the idea was to have a line of guitars that Gibson could sell to jobbers (large musical instrument distributor that carried many brands), who in turn would re-sell to music stores who weren't franchised Gibson dealers and couldn't get the full Gibson line, but had a market for less expensive versions like the Cromwells.

"...the most recognizable feature all the Cromwells, besides the large stenciled logo on the peghead, was a white stripe running down the center of the fingerboard. Most experts agree that Gibson probably made the Cromwell brand starting in early 1935, but stopped sometime in late 1938, or possibly early 1939."

The major Cromwell distributors were:

Continental Music, Chicago, IL
Grossman's Music, Cleveland, OH
Gretsch & Brenner, New York, NY
New York Band Instrument, New York, NY
Davitt & Hanser, Cincinnati, OH,
Beare & Sons, London, England
L.D. Heater, Seattle, WA
J.W. Jenkins, Kansas City, MO
Francis, Day, & Hunter, London, England

Fox wrote that the Cromwell EG-H Electric Hawaiian Guitar was produced from 1937-1938. He describes it as a "small lap steel electric (similar to Gibson EH-150)... pear-shaped body with narrow shoulders... curly maple top & back... blade-style pickup with oval cover plate." The production totals in the back of the book states that a total of 34 Cromwell EG-H lap steels were produced in 1937 only.

There is no mention of a seven-string version; the photo reproduced in the book is of a six-string instrument. The Cromwell EG-H is very similar to the Recording King Model 1023 "Roy Smeck" guitar, sold by Montgomery Ward from 1939-1940, which was also produced by Gibson.
Last edited by Jack Hanson on 17 Nov 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

Here are a few more pictures that might help decide if 7 strings look original.

Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Cool steel Joe! ... Based on the matching tuners and layout, my best guess is that it could very well be a factory 7 string. Though, its certainly possible that it was modded after the fact and the original holes on the treble side were plugged and the headstock refinished.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'd think it is a factory 7 .

really cool lapsteel. i'd like to have that.
the funny thing about lapsteels is that even cheap ones can be great sounding. big money for a lap is debatable because you don't necessarily get better tone from an expensive build like in an acoustic.
you might get pretty wood but that's what you're paying through the nose for.
some really cheap steels with crappy wood and cheap parts sound really good and unique.
Last edited by chris ivey on 7 Nov 2015 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

A simple google search says it all about these--very few exist. Damn near nothing turns up except SGF mentions. I really like it.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

Did Gibson 7 string lap steels of the late 30's use a different pickup than the 6 strings?

It came up 10 minutes from my home. A man was selling it after his father had passed away. His father had traded an Air Force Colonel for it in 1968 while both were stationed in Tawain. It had lived in closets ever since, nobody learning how to play it.

I never thought I would stumble across a guitar like this one in my tiny corner of the world. He also had a wide panel Fender Pro he let me test drive the lap steel thru. My budget didn't stretch nearly that far!
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

Also, the metal nut is set up for a small out-of-order string on a the "lowest" position. When did this arrangement fall out of favor? What sort of tuning was popular then? For what it's worth, I think the "Cromwell" on the headstock is inlayed not stenciled.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

The Internet is incredible. Look at what I turned up:

They may not have advertised a 7 string EG-H, but they sold 7 string sets for them! It matches the little 7th string setup too.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

15 cents for that seventh string!
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Gibson built 7-string models in the late 30s, so why not the Cromwell....
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

From what I could turn up. Alvino Rey's Modern Guitar Method book from the same era as this steel recomended A7 tuning for 7 string lap steel. It was the 6 string high-bass A tuning with a high g string added on the "lowest" extra string.
E
C#
A
E
C#
A
G (higher)

I am trying to work my courage up to enlarge the nut slot of the 7th string for a standard A6 tuning, but hate to do it. Maybe I should try to make a second nut from scratch and save the original.
Vaughn Passmore

check headstock

Post by Vaughn Passmore »

I have the exact same guitar. It was not in the same condition though. Mine was given to me by a local guitar store cleaning the basement. It had been stripped of everything and was also quite warped.
It is the most beautiful body shape so, while it seemed to have no value, I decided to bring it back to life. It ended up being my daily player for 3-4 years.
I found the remains of a filled in hole on the headstock that was under the original finish. I think the guitar was a factory 6 that was made into a 7 and then painted. Does yours have that?
Lynn Wheelwright

Shipping info.

Post by Lynn Wheelwright »

If my info. is correct and the FON is 282-11 this is an original 7 string shipped to Continental Music, Chicago Sept. 1,1937
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

Thanks Lynn! It is indeed 282-11. Here is a picture of the neck & back.

Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

For those that might be interested, here is a picture with the back removed.

Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

Joe, that's a sweet looking guitar. What a find! Thanks for the great photos. Enjoy!

8)
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Joe Kaufman wrote:I am trying to work my courage up to enlarge the nut slot of the 7th string for a standard A6 tuning, but hate to do it. Maybe I should try to make a second nut from scratch and save the original.
You have an exceptional instrument that is undoubtedly very rare and in incredible condition. Congratulations on a great find.

If it were my guitar, and it was my intent to play it regularly in one of the more modern tunings, I would fabricate a replacement nut to preserve the instrument's originality. Your Cromwell may indeed be the finest surviving example of its kind.

Thanks for posting the excellent photos, and thanks to Mr. Wheelwright for providing the documentation that should more than prove the originality of your Cromwell EG-H 7-String.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

I think I will get a new nut put together. It appears to be 3/16 X 5/8 inch nickel plated brass. Any recommendations on who could make a new one and ship it to me if I gave them all the critical dimensions and a few photographs? I would normally make it myself, but I have very little free time right now.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

all you need is a vise, hacksaw and file.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

This may be the excuse needed to buy some nut files.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

I ordered the brass so i will be putting the milling machine and needle files to work when I find the time.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

I finally got into the shop to make a new 7 string nut. I thought some of you might like to see some pictures of how I went about it.
Using a flimsy drill press vise to set the angle. Luckily brass machines nicely.
Using a 1" endmill to trim overall length and match flared ends of the original
Milling base down to set the final height.
Original nut and new blank.
Test fit. I had to hand file a bit to get a perfect match. String 5 is a little high.
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

Vaughn, I'm sorry I overlooked your question earlier. Yes, when I look closely I can see what looks like 6 string tuner holes that have been filled and refinished. You have to get the light angle just right to see it though.