Going to try to come back

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Gresham

Going to try to come back

Post by Mike Gresham »

Hello everyone. Back in 1999 I took the plunge and purchased a new Derby SD-10 E9, Nashville 1000 amp, and all the trimmings. Booked a weekend with Jeff Newman and left there comfortable with my capability to learn the instrument. But then, a death in the family completely derailed my music aspirations. I packed up my instrument and hid everything in my winter closet. Now fast forward 15 years. A few weeks ago my wife and I got tickets to the Emmylou Harris Rodney Crowell concert here in Lexington. Our seats were in front of Steve Fishall tearing his steel apart. I remembered my Derby, and Steve provided the inspiration to start over. The next day I dug through the closet and found everything. Got her out and set up, installed new George L stainless strings that were in my travel seat, replaced the battery in my Goodrich volume pedal and tuner, got everything right and started over. So, I guess I'll give it a try. I will probably be asking a lot of stupid questions on this forum, so please excuse me in advance for seeming so dumb.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Welcome back Mike. Don't know if we've met, but I've played and attended a lot of the steel guitar shows Fred and Al put on around Lexington. Condolences on the loss of your family member and wishing you best of luck getting re-acquainted with everything.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 26 Oct 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Go for it. A friend put his steel away (a ZB) for 20 years while he raised his kids. He finally got it back out and although a little rusty at first he got right back into it and is back playing in a band.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Fish

Post by Fish »

Before I begin, let me say that the passing of Buddy Emmons came as a huge blow, as I know it did for everyone else here on the Forum.
May he rest eternally in peace.

Dear Mike,

Thank you for attending our concert with Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell at the Opera House in Lexington, KY on October 18th and thanks for your kind words about my playing. Also - thanks to Dave Magram for pointing out your post to me.

Two weeks earlier we had the v-e-r-y humbling experience of following the Time Jumpers onstage at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. After hearing Vince Gill, Jeff Taylor, Larry Franklin, Kenny Sears, and all of the other remarkable players in that band completely tear it up, especially of course the great Paul Franklin, my immediate reaction was “well, I guess I better go home and woodshed.” So, maybe my playing in Lexington was motivated by that Time Jumpers experience.

Congratulations on re-discovering your joy for the pedal steel guitar. I’m glad you still had that Derby pedal steel waiting around for this moment. I myself had a 24-year gap between my departure from Emmylou's Hot Band in 1989 and my return to live performance in 2013 with Emmylou & Rodney. Boy, did I ever have to practice to get back in shape for the stage.

My advice: play for 30 minutes every day and only do it for the fun of it. Use a kitchen timer to regulate your practice time. Start slowly and gradually you’ll feel more comfortable “behind the wheel.” Playlist a few of your favorite tracks on your computer for inspiration. There is nothing more musically enjoyable than playing an instrument as soulful and expressive as the steel guitar. Have a blast!

Good luck to you,

Steve
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I'd get playing again in a second if I could get a handle on my tinnitus! I just can't trust my ears with no frets!
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Fish, I don't know, I saw you with Emmy Lou in Pittsburgh in the early 1980s and found your backing and solos to be simply outstanding. The machine-gun solo on Luxury Liner blew me away.

Somehow I don't believe you've lost anything since then. On, the contrary, I'm certain you are even better today. Sometimes we are our own worst critics .

John, sorry to hear the tinnitus has derailed your playing (for now!). I knew you had it but did not know it's kept you off the steel. Burn it up with the the 6 string guitar then. stevet
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Steve,
It's louder than people speak. I tell people to not call me, but to email me, as I miss half of what they say. It really stinks to not be confident in my playing.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I'm with those who just say play , Fish is right, setup the Steel and have it ready to play when you are, even if only for 15 min a day. Don't work to practice , enjoy your Instrument and who really cares if you are not burning the E9th with hot licks !

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Fish wrote:My advice: play for 30 minutes every day and only do it for the fun of it.
Dear Fish,

Thanks for the advice; it sounds reasonable as I try to regain 'lost ground.'
I must've heard you in the 80's and tuned the band's piano. What a great band and a great gal; she was pregnant at the time. :)

Thanks for passing encouragement and assurance along to the many.

(John: someone has started a topic on that subject under Extended Family. It's a hot topic. Chime in.)
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

Wow, Steve (Fish) what great words of wisdom. I was all about steel guitar from 70-81, then I went acoustic with mandolin, dobro and banjo. When Mom died and we sold the house in 2010 I was able to purchase a steel. Now I am having big fun with it, as it is supposed to be. Will I ever gig again? Not sure but I love playing my steel and things will work out.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Mike, Good for you. Dive right in. You will enjoy your progress. Every improvement is a celebration, and the sound itself is a great reward.

I had a 20 year hiatus after moving to Colorado. Got back to it about 2 years ago. This time I am approaching it purely for the musicality of the steel. Vastly different than playing with a band.

Hey, Steve... I still have the old S10 Bud that you played when you and Emmy dropped in to visit us with Holly T's band in Thousand Oaks, CA.

Buddy and Tom Brumley's playing inspired me to chase the magic again. My 5 yr. old grand dau. is here often. When she hears Buddy's version of Linus and Lucy she knows it is bath time. Tonight she surprised me by saying, "Papa, that's Once Upon a Time in the West." Tradition is important, right?

Dan
Mike Gresham

Man it's different

Post by Mike Gresham »

Well last night I finally got everything in place and in tune and sat down on my GFI stool to see if I still "had it". The chords were coming back to me OK however after a while something just didn't feel right. My wife heard me and came in my music room to listen and asked, "Why are your elbows so low?". I then realized that after 2 back surgeries and having both hips replaced, my whole body position was too low! I remember what Jeff Newman had taught me, to position my seat and instrument so my elbows were level with the strings. But evidently 15 years and 4 operations had completely changed where my elbows were at! So now I must begin adjusting the height of the guitar and my seat to get things realigned. Weird.

P.S. - Thanks everybody for your comments.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Thanks to Mike, Fish and all, I'm starting to feel like getting the Emmons LeGrande out of the closet. I really only have time to suck at one hobby at a time, and I'm still playing golf regularly. ;) I always seem to get motivated to start over about this time of year. I never quit for long but never stay with it for long either. Guess I'll always be an owner rather than a player.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Fish

Post by Fish »

Before adjusting the height of your steel, I suggest first using pillows to raise yourself in your seat.

And remember, take baby steps. Don't expect too much of yourself at the beginning. Just give yourself at least 30 minutes a day - listen to some favorite tracks for inspiration - and have some fun with it.
Dan Robinson

Hearing Injury

Post by Dan Robinson »

John Billings wrote:Steve,
It's louder than people speak. I tell people to not call me, but to email me, as I miss half of what they say. It really stinks to not be confident in my playing.
John Billings wrote:Steve,
That's terrible. It's not something new, is it? I got thru the 70s and 80s, a lot of gigs and jams, classic and southern rock, with hearing intact, A+. Always use ear protection when shooting, mowing, snow blowing, running power tools.

Played an annual party/jam in August. Other guitar player set up across the room, his Fender Twin behind him, but pointed at my face. He can play anything but ad for dynamic? Complete idiot, plays everything at solo level. The one time I forget foam earplugs. Just two hours did damage. Don't know if there is anything to be done. I feel like a fool. Afraid to tell anyone.

Dan
Mike Gresham

Post by Mike Gresham »

OK I would like to hear opinions on a subject. I have determined that my back surgeries have made it uncomfortable playing on the front neck of my SD10, so I'm thinking of changing to a S10 without the pad to get the strings a little closer and to help some leg clearance issues.

Question - Would it be better to shop for a slightly used modern instrument, or should I be patient and look for an older Emmons or Sho-Bud? Do the newer instruments have technological advantages over the older instruments? What are the pitfalls of the older instruments? Are there reputable places to have the older instruments worked on?

Thanks for your replies.
Derby SD-10
Nashville 1000
Goodrich L10K