What do you do for a living?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Retired now. Had to due to a liver transplant in 2008.
Was an engineer for 45 years. Playing only a little during my 6 months back East.
Otherwise, I'd still be working.
heavily medicated for your safety
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

Peter Huggins: thanks for doing what you did for the "Geek" festivals!
Lack of stamina kept me from attending in person, but I enjoyed them immensely on video!
My day job for the last 35 years or so has been as a Hollywood make-up artist.
Degenerative arthritis has forced me to slow down and work at home designing and manufacturing fake tattoos for use in film and TV, in recent years.
Thankfully, I now have more time for music, as long as the joints hold up!
Jackson Pro-IV D-10, Fender Dual-Pro 8, Epiphone Zephyr-6
Fred Rogan

Post by Fred Rogan »

I have been an Human Resources manager for 35 years. First in health care, then banking, now higher education. People problems all day every day so sitting down at a steel at night is my sanctuary.
Show Pro SD10 guitars
Milkman Amps
David Nutt

Always a 'picker'

Post by David Nutt »

25 years 'pickin'as a full time musician.
Now- 'pickin' as a Professional Locksmith and Safe Engineer, its a great life :)
Chris Grotewohl

Post by Chris Grotewohl »

FAA Inspector/Pilot. Give lots of checkrides as part of my job. DC-3, DC-3TP, B-17, P2-V's etc....all the old stuff.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Former rocket surgeon. Moonlighted as mattress tester. Currently retired collecting monthly entitlement.
Jim Reynolds

Post by Jim Reynolds »

I think I'm with bOb. It's to stressful. After 21 years in the Army, two tours in Vietnam, and combat. I've been trying to learn the steel since 83. Still trying. I have had several good jobs since getting out, but serving my country was my most rewarding. Thanks bOb for the humor.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.
Jim Reynolds

Post by Jim Reynolds »

Johnny Cox, I love your jobs. That is a hand full. I know that and what you have gone through. I retired from the service at 37 with no skills, and went from one job to another. Even though I had a good retirement, my other half still thought I should be working. So I've done about it all, salesman, hearing aids, truck driver, bus driver, payroll clerk, chief financial officer for major commercial electrical company, and etc. Then Grandfather for 9 grand kids, and great grandfather for 5 great grandchildren. Busy time. Still trying to learn.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Jim Reynolds wrote:Johnny Cox, I love your jobs.
I thought I'd had a lot but they're nothing compared to yours and Jim's, and everybody else's. I think we all should write; what interesting stories.
Fraser Moffatt

Post by Fraser Moffatt »

I'm still a young buck compared to some of you but I'm a federal gov't scientist (defence). Been a gravedigger, forklift driver, small business owner (tech), counsellor for developmentally disabled adults, consultant, writer and a bunch of other random stuff. Been an amateur (gigging) musician for the last 35+ years - still have yet to make it big!
Rookie-ish steel player - currently tinkering around on a BMI S10 and a Guyatone S8. Bassist and vocalist for The Derringers.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Retired from a railroad career that spanned 44 years from first day to last, and did everything from manual labor to president. Worked for 18 railroads in 7 states, and my wife was a locomotive engineer for 15 years as well. If I had it to do over again I would in a heartbeat, but would keep a better written record of all the assorted stuff that happened.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

If I had it to do all over again, I'd work for the railroad just to be able to have free passage anywhere on the train upon retirement.
So that I could write my memoirs.... There's nothing like riding the rails.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Charlie McDonald wrote:If I had it to do all over again, I'd work for the railroad just to be able to have free passage anywhere on the train upon retirement.
So that I could write my memoirs.... There's nothing like riding the rails.
Charlie, the old days of a lifetime pass have gone the way of many other good things - it just ain't so any more.

I actually have a good start on writing 2 books about my railroad career - one I have over 100 pages of text on the "big railroads" I worked on - New York Central, Penn Central, and Conrail. The other I have maybe 80 or more pages on all the other smaller lines.

This is no lie nor joke: I was making real good progress on those books until 3 1/2 years ago, when I took up pedal steel. I have spent over a thousand hours practicing the steel but in that time probably have put in less than 15 hours on the books. I'm addicted!