Vertical knee lever that raises F# string up a 1/2 step?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Paul Hoaglin

Post by Paul Hoaglin »

Lane Gray wrote:Funny. I've seen that pair of changes on every Buddy Emmons instructional material for the E9th neck.
I saw the same thing somewhere, on something on eBay (an album or a book or something) that appeared to come out some time in proximity to the Black Album. I had thought of putting those changes together just on my own for some weird reason, and that sealed the deal for me. It was a great combo for a lot of things, and it seems especially useful on a p/p or a pull/release where raises predominate (then you can add the 1st string up to the dom 7th without losing the root from the 6th string B pedal)...
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

It was on the 12 Shuffles course.
I've had both push-pull/pull-release and all-pull guitars. I liked both systems and can work either. I prefer the all-pull dropping the A to G.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Lane Gray wrote:It was on the 12 Shuffles course.
I've had both push-pull/pull-release and all-pull guitars. I liked both systems and can work either. I prefer the all-pull dropping the A to G.
Is that the course that has all the Ray Price songs, like Touch My Heart, Crazy Arms, I Just Destroyed the World I'm Living In? My course is buried in a box of records, but I don't remember it having that change. I do have all the tab in front of me.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I no longer have the course, but yes. That's the one.
Richard Sinkler

I have all the tab in a filing cabinet but the record and box is probably in one of my boxes of vinyl. Now I'm really curios about the copedent on the record cover. He seems to use 1, 2, 3 as designations for pedal and A, B, C, etc for knee levers, and place them under the tab as opposed to next to the fret number (and uses t, a, b for what finger to use next to the fret number. But all I ever see used in the songs are pedals 1 & 2 and a knee lever he designates as 'B' and one other.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I don't recall the specific instances of raising 1, but the 6th string drop is on beat 1, bar 4 of one of the verses of Crazy Arms (on "Feel" I'd you're singing along).
Richard Sinkler

I know he used the 6th string lower a lot. The first string raise is the one I'm interested in. I don't see anything happening in the tab.
Gary Arnold

Post by Gary Arnold »

Lloyd Green has it on his PSG's.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

On my Emmons D-10 I have my LKL2 raising 1,2 and 7 to G#, E, G# respectively. This has a variety of applications but one that I use perhaps more than any other is half-pedaling that 'knee' to give me a G note on the 1st or 7th. I find it easy to be accurate with that half-stop even though I have no device on there that signals the half-raise.

(I prefer this method to lowering the 6th a step and raising it with the B pedal for that pedals-down 7th chord.)

On my Zum Encore (3 + 5; far less 'loaded' than my Emmons) I have those pulls on the LKV. I hate using the vertical in the normal way - it's unnatural to me - but half-pedaling that LKV is very easy.

Engaging this change fully along with both A and B pedals gives me a lovely dissonant major 7th across the top eight strings. The juxtaposition of the G# and the A on strings 7 and 6 is particularly nice.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Richard Sinkler

Gary Arnold wrote:Lloyd Green has it on his PSG's.
According to a post currently running here on the forum, Lloyd raises only his first string to G and has never, to knowledge, lowered his 6th string.

Lloyd's copedent:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=344709
Gary Arnold

Post by Gary Arnold »

I was talking about his 1st string (F#) up to (G). :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Richard Sinkler

Gary Arnold wrote:I was talking about his 1st string (F#) up to (G). :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
The post I did was supposed to be 2 sentences. Sorry about that.
Gary Arnold

Post by Gary Arnold »

No problem. :D :D :D :D
Andy DePaule

It gets worse

Post by Andy DePaule »

Dave Stroud wrote:Oh, goodness.... how did I miss that 7th chord?? Sometimes I think I just overcomplicate things when I sit down at my steel :oops: thanks B0b!
Take my word for this, It gets worse with age! :oops:
And I thought I was the only one over complicating things? :eek: :lol:
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Steve Leal

Post by Steve Leal »

On my vertical, I raise 7 a half step, 2 a half step and 1 a whole step with feel stop at the halfway point. I never play string 7 at the same time as string 1 or 2.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Steve Leal wrote:On my vertical, .... with feel stop at the halfway point.
I love half-stops but cannot manage them on a vertical lever. This despite extended daily exercise to engalvanize my abdominable musculature.