'' Sho~Bud '' 16 string steel guitar .

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Preston

'' Sho~Bud '' 16 string steel guitar .

Post by Gary Preston »

I am just window shopping for my friend . He can't play steel anymore and is selling all his equipment . My question is this . Doe's anyone know what a fair selling price would be for the 16 string Sho~Bud steel ? Thanks in advance for your help .
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Good morning Gary
Can you tell us, if it's a D8 or a S16?
Condition is always a factor...
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

It might well be (and I don't know how you'd notate it, essentially an 8 strung in pairs. I don't think I'd call that an S-16.
I suspect it'd be worth a large amount of money to a small amount of people.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

I know the guitar you're talking about Gary, I understand there's only a couple of them out there.
JB
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Gary Preston

16 string

Post by Gary Preston »

As i understand it , this is a ''single 16 string steel '' . I understand that it has the E-9th and C-6th all on one neck . I was told that it is '' VERY rare '' . I was told that there were only 3/4 still around , so if that is true this guitar will bring a lot of money . I was told that it was appraised at $25 thousand dollars a while back . I don't really know the value of it . I am just trying to see if anyone may be interested in this guitar . Like i said my friend can't play anymore so he is trying to sell his equipment .
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

mostplayers probably won't be interested in it. but maybe a collector who, of course, doesn't really play.
Paul Hoaglin

Post by Paul Hoaglin »

If it had been the double-strung steel Lane described, it would have been my dream Sho-Bud - and I would not have had the resources to purchase it anyway. Double darn. :(

Very curious to learn more about it, in any event....
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

I would think this guitar would be a show and tell . It would be to heavy for me and most everyone else to carry around . No doubt it is a collector guitar . Maybe should be in a museum somewhere . I would guess it is worth a lot of money .
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

it's hard to imagine it being worth $25,000.
but far out if it is.
Andy Eder

Post by Andy Eder »

I agree with Chris, not worth 25K or anywhere near it, but I would like to see pictures of it.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Make a great wagon...
I need an Emmons!
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I don't know if this is the one you're talking about, but it's very impressive.

Paul Hoaglin

Post by Paul Hoaglin »

It may not be the one that Gary's talking about, but it's the one I'm talking about! :) :eek:

That steel never fails to make me drool....
Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

Gives me a knot in the stomach every time I think about, What was I thinking??
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Whatever gets paid for an instrument like that, I'd consider it to be as a work of art, and owning it would strictly be capricious, like having a signed Warhol print or something of that nature. For display only. I can't imagine any practical, professional use for it.

I'll echo Lane's remark about big bucks in a small market. But small markets do not big bucks always make.

25K as an appraisal came strictly from outer space to the wishful thinking of the owner, fearing that he might get screwed by undervaluing it. Valuations are only arrived at by previous sales of a similar item. Since there haven't been any of these on the market, what someone will pay for it is totally unknown and it has to be put up for auction to find out what someone WILL pay for the item.

And then it will be worth LESS than what it sells for, since the 2nd bidder DIDN'T think it was worth it enough to buy, and the winner is satisfied with his purchase.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Remember that super pro III that Bobbe wanted 10 grand + as the asking price for ? This guitar is a rare oddity from Sho-Bud. Maybe The Jackson family would be interested in this piece of their manufacturing history...
D.S. Rigsby
Rick Rian

Re: '' Sho~Bud '' 16 string steel guitar .

Post by Rick Rian »

Gary Preston wrote:I am just window shopping for my friend . He can't play steel anymore and is selling all his equipment . My question is this . Doe's anyone know what a fair selling price would be for the 16 string Sho~Bud steel ? Thanks in advance for your help .
Can you share some pics, Gary? I'd love to see this rare bird up close and personal ...

Thanks!
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Jimmie Hudson

Just 2 Pedals!!!

Post by Jimmie Hudson »

chas smith wrote:I don't know if this is the one you're talking about, but it's very impressive.

WOW all them strings and just 2 pedals. Proves you don't need all the pedals and knee levers in the world to make music.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

WOW all them strings and just 2 pedals. Proves you don't need all the pedals and knee levers in the world to make music.
Don't be too sure.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Mothra!!!!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Jimmy Krebs up in Newport News, VA had one of those years ago, and Charleton recorded a tune on one of the albums during his stay with "The Great Band". Wish I could think of the song.

Maybe it's my eyes or my monitor, but I don't see any logo on that triple-neck

Craig
"Make America Great Again". . . The Only Country With Dream After Its Name.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Sho-Bud 1964, 11-11-16 made for Bobby Garrett. AKA Mothra

John Haspert

Inquiring minds need to know

Post by John Haspert »

On that beast what are the tunings and copedant? Also is the weight measured in pounds or tons? Wow!
Pedal Steel Guitar is "Music from Heaven"
Herb Steiner

Re: Inquiring minds need to know

Post by Herb Steiner »

John Haspert wrote:On that beast what are the tunings and copedant? Also is the weight measured in pounds or tons? Wow!
All I remember is that when we delivered that guitar to Chas, Mike Cass and I had to double-team carrying it to the Millenium from the Holiday Inn. One man couldn't do it. :whoa: