SOS SOS Switching from Emmons to Day

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Mmm, I have a lot to say about that but I won't. Suffice it that Day-style is more intuitive for me, and there are somatic reasons for it.
It may have to do with brain hemisphere dominance.

Here's a quote from Emmons, answering Richard Sinkler's question about how long it would take Mr. E. to switch to Day pedals.

"That would depend upon whether I had to use knee levers with the Day (right way) setup. When Jimmy and I played either way, the two primary E9th levers we use today were not yet available. We made the middle E to F and E to Eb changes by a forward or reverse slant of one fret. The slants applied to any guitar we played so that left us with nothing to have to concentrate on but the pedals.

"If I were to use the Day setup with bar slants, it wouldn�t take long to become comfortable. Applying the proper knee levers to the pedals would make it more of a challenge; so I�d say it would probably take a little over seven minutes, maybe eight, tops."

Notice he calls the Day way the 'right way,' a little nod to Jimmy, I'm sure, altho I may be reading to much into it.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

Charlie McDonald wrote:Mmm, I have a lot to say about that but I won't.
why would you say that when it's clearly not true?
Bill Watson

Mullen Update

Post by Bill Watson »

Alright guys it's done!! Thanks for all the advice, help and eyebrow raising. Only thing left to do is adjust pedal height and small tweaks here and there. Special thanks to Lane and Micky Adams. All you guys are the besT!!

Someone send me another!!!! I am on a roll.
Drew Pierce

Post by Drew Pierce »

Rich Upright wrote:Actually, why not just learn to play Emmons style? I
John Hughey, Hal Rugg, Weldon Myrick, Tommy White, Norm Hamlet, Curley Chalker, Rusty Young and, well, Jimmy Day, to name just a few great players, use (or used) some variation of Day setup. Although there are many great players using Emmons setup and a majority of players overall likely us it, Day setup players are by no means rare.
Last edited by Drew Pierce on 12 Jul 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew Pierce
Emmons D10 Fatback, S10 bolt-on, Zum D10, Evans RE500, Hilton volume and delay pedals.
Richard Sinkler

Re: Mullen Update

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Bill Watson wrote:Alright guys it's done!! Thanks for all the advice, help and eyebrow raising. Only thing left to do is adjust pedal height and small tweaks here and there. Special thanks to Lane and Micky Adams. All you guys are the besT!!

Someone send me another!!!! I am on a roll.
It's all fine and dandy that you got it done. But what we really want to know is how much of what alcohol did you use. It's kind of like asking players what kind of strings, or other paraphernalia they use to play. Inquiring minds want to know.

A "must have" tool for working on a PSG. It allows you to keep drinking while you have your face crammed into the undercarriage of the guitar.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.