Mullen Guitar Company

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Jackson

Post by William Jackson »

Some of the finest products and people on the planet!
Dave
Leo Melanson

Mullen great for me

Post by Leo Melanson »

I have (2) great Mullen guitars and have nothing but high praise for the service that I have rcvd when I needed help with my "rookie" questions and need for parts.

We have to support the remaining new guitar manufacturers we have. Without them we will only have a limited inventory of aging instruments. Being able to buy a new out of the box guitar with warranty and support is becoming more and more rare.
Boston area country musician
Mullen G2 player
George Crowder

Post by George Crowder »

No complaints from me. I have a PRP D-10 Mullen that I bought new from Billy Cooper in '95. It's a finely crafted instrument and I've never had a problem with it.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Leo, there are actually MORE makers than in the 70s,and the net serves to spread their names.
Firms with more than one or two persons making guitars, just off the top of my head: Mullen, MSA, GFI, BMI.
One and two person shops, off the top of my head: Rains, Fessenden, Williams, Desert Rose (that might belong on the first list), Rittenberry, Justice, Stage One/Encore.
Don't forget the foreigners, who all seem to make VERY fine guitars: Excel, WBS, Schild, Sheffield (I don't know how many Dave makes).

Not to take away from the purpose of this thread, but we're really NOT starved for steels
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

in the past couple years I bought and sold many Mullen guitars, from PRP to G2's... they were all, to the last one great playing and sounding instruments... I just got few emails from people who bought Mullen guitars from me, and they are all very happy with their instruments... beautiful, high quality instruments, and wonderful customer service... I wouldn't think twice to take a Mullen guitar to any gig, or any recording session...

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

My only beef with Mullen is, they won't give me a free G2. :lol: :cry:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Richard Sinkler they won't give me one either! A new G2 would be nice, but I wouldn't trade my '95 model for one. Or even two! Nothing against em I just love my '95!
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

There are very nice instruments made now but there is no better pedal guitar, builder or customer service than Mullen Guitar Company that I'm aware. I started my Nashville career on a Mullen guitar. I feel I owe a good part of whatever success I've had to that sound.
Last edited by Tommy White on 18 Jun 2015 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Richard Sinkler how do you like your Digitech RP-155?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Awesome, Tommy White!!
Bob Miano
Location: Bergenfield, N.J. (home of "some" country music) - deceased

Post by Bob Miano »

I've emailed Mullen Guitars some questions I had on my G2.........and received a response back from Mike in a timely manner. Excellent customer service &
Good People !!!
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Tommy, I don't think you owe anything to anybody, you worked hard to be where you are today...now that being said, playing one of the best instruments in the world today doesn't hurt either :D
Hamilton Barnard

Post by Hamilton Barnard »

Bought my first Mullen last year on Tommy White's advice, just wish that advice had come 20 years ago. :lol:
Bobby Stalnaker

Post by Bobby Stalnaker »

I'm sure other companies make quality pedal steels but my choice is MULLEN.
Richard Sinkler

Patrick Huey wrote:Richard Sinkler how do you like your Digitech RP-155?
I'd never buy another one. But, I only use it now for reverb. My Nashville 400 reverb squeals, so I had to take it out. I use the RP155 in the front panel effects loop. It works fine in the rear panel loop.

So this stays on topic. It would sound so good with a Mullen guitar playing through it.

If I could ever buy another guitar, it would either be a Mullen or Show Pro. Or both :D .
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tom Beck

Post by Tom Beck »

I have two Rp s-10's and I too am sold on Mullen. I do have one suggestion.I wish my pedal bars were pre-drilled for another pedal or two. It would be easy to just order the parts and add one as they are very easy to work on. Just my thoughts.
Richard Sinkler

I'm not sure why every builder doesn't pre-machine for the maximum number of pedals and levers and sell kits for the end user to add pedals and levers. My Carter was built like this. But, I guess it would depend on how they attach the pedals and levers.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

It seems to me that Mullen is looking pretty good in this thread!!!... :D :D :D
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Richard Sinkler wrote:I'm not sure why every builder doesn't pre-machine for the maximum number of pedals and levers and sell kits for the end user to add pedals and levers. My Carter was built like this. But, I guess it would depend on how they attach the pedals and levers.

That's a gripe of mine as well. My Sierra has everything cut/machined/tapped for the maximum upgrade, I always thought that was great thinking on their part.

As for Mullen, I've never seen one close up, but would love to try one out! :D
Sierra Crown D-10
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

I have owned several Mullen guitars over the past years and they all performed flawlessly. If I were looking for a brighter or darker sound, Mike has always helped me out in a very prompt fashion, as well as sending me parts to add extra pedals. As far as shipping goes, I have also owned several other brand name steels and they all were shipped to me and packaged the same way Mullen ships them. There is always some risk when a heavy instrument is being shipped. Fortunately, I personally have never experienced any issues. I have nothing to say but good about the Mullen Guitar Company, as they have great service and customer support as well as a top shelf instrument.
Gerald Shaw

Post by Gerald Shaw »

Richard Sinkler wrote:I'm not sure why every builder doesn't pre-machine for the maximum number of pedals and levers and sell kits for the end user to add pedals and levers.
Richard, Mullen guitars are set up pretty much that way, except for he pedal bar. I think that's so you don't have say a 3 pedal guitar, with a bunch of empty screw holes across the top (where pedals 4 thru 8 would mount). I called Mike at Mullen and ordered a bar with all the holes drilled, and it was under $50, I think.
Richard Sinkler

That's probably it, Gerald. Carter put the screws for the blocks in between the pedals on the bottom of the pedal bar.

I have a friend here that has a Mullen. I used to sit in on his guitar. It was a pleasure to play.
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

We do not pre drill unless requested, just for the eye sore effect, not to mention people maybe asking why are those holes there. We do provide a template for drilling them exact when a kit is ordered. It is not hard to add them. For what it's worth.
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

I would think due to the excessive rain and the unusually high long term environmental humidity that goes with it is probably causing them some grief with their wood and trying to build right now. Don't know that their facility was built/designed to operate in those conditions as this has been one very wet year so far...we've broken some 100 year old records here in East Texas this spring regarding rainfall. Would I be wrong in figuring that as a factor as well concerning the delay in completion and delivery right now?
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

Don't know about Mullen, but it's not too difficult to return wood products to a controlled environment when not in process. Actually, they can spend more time in the "hot box" than on the shop floor. Dry indoor humidity in the winter is a greater challenge to control.
Jerry Jones