Boot Disc ?? Help

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

james sluder

Boot Disc ?? Help

Post by james sluder »

Wiz or anyone ,,how can i make a boot disc to start my computer ,Toshiba,,windows vista .This morning it had shut down overnight .I had to keep pushing the off/on button to get it started .I have cd/dvd burner that works !

Any help would be great !
Thanks
James
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

You should have made the boot disk from within Windows, when the computer was up and running. Since the machine has crashed, you need to find another Vista machine and use it to create a bootable disk. Alternately, find/buy an actual Windows Vista installation disk with the same service pack as you have.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
james sluder

Post by james sluder »

Thanks Wiz. the computer is running fine now,,all my program's are here .This is the computer i was refering to. this afternoon i burned a program files dvd-rw so i have all my program's on it . I had not been shuting my computer down, just after 15 minute's the screen goes blank but when i move the mouse it's back up with all my icon's .Di i still need to buy a Boot disc ??

Thanks for u r help !

James .
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

James;
Clean out all the crap with CCleaner. Disinfect any known malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and your anti-virus program (update both before scanning). Schedule a disk error check on reboot, close all programs and reboot. Chkdsk will run as long as you don't touch any keys during its start up cycle.

Watch the screen as chkdsk runs. As soon as it finishes it will restart the computer. At this moment start tapping the F8 key. When the boot menu appears, choose to boot into safe mode. Log into your administrator level account.

Once you are in your admin account in safe mode, go to start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. Have disk C defragmented while you do other stuff around the house, or practice New Country steel guitar licks.

Once C has been defragged, go to Start > All Programs > Maintenance > Create a System Repair Disk, following the instructions to create a bootable CD. Store it in a safe place.

As for the apparent sleep mode, check the Power Settings to see if something has changed to cause the PC to go to sleep or suspend after x-minutes of inactivity.
Security Consultant
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
james sluder

Boot Disc ?? Help

Post by james sluder »

I updated everything ,,Ccleaner,,Melwarebytes,,Avg.paid version.

ran Ccleaner >>>>4.000.00 items removed.

Melwarebytes >>>335 items removed.

Avg paid version >>> 1 downloaded virus found & removed

Disk defrag,, run >> about 2 hour's.I typed in chkdsk & a black box popped up & back off.

Then after restarting computer i burned a new copy program files dvd-r . I till haven't found the way to make a boot disc,,but im still working on that.

The computer is running fine now,,lightning fast.after working on it from 10 pm---5 am lol.

I just wanted to keep you posted on what i done & found..
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Thanks, Wiz, that was a clear summary of something I've been needing to do and didn't know how.
Dave Potter

Re: Boot Disc ?? Help

Post by Dave Potter »

james sluder wrote:Then after restarting computer i burned a new copy program files dvd-r . I till haven't found the way to make a boot disc,,but im still working on that. The computer is running fine now,,lightning fast.after working on it from 10 pm---5 am lol.
Backing up my "program files" would be at the bottom of my priority list if fixing system problems was my objective. Why? Simply because those files aren't normally the cause of system issues, and also, if program files DO become problematic, it's trivially easy to use the original installation media to either repair or reinstall them - no backup required.

To deal with operating system issues (failure to boot, etc), you need a System Repair Disk, as Wiz posted earlier. Having backups of program files won't get you anywhere if the operating system has become corrupt. In such cases, a system repair disk is the gold standard, and will be your first line of defense. Wiz gave easy, step-by-step instructions on how to do it, and it doesn't take hours - it only takes minutes.

Having done that, the next item on your list should be to give serious thought to upgrading your 12 year-old operating system to one that isn't low-hanging fruit to malware operatives.
james sluder

Boot Disc ?? Help

Post by james sluder »

I'll keep trying to make a [ system repair disc ].

Thanks for the advice .

James .
Wiz Feinberg

Re: Boot Disc ?? Help

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

james sluder wrote:I'll keep trying to make a [ system repair disc ].

Thanks for the advice .

James .
As I wrote earlier: Once C has been defragged, go to Start > All Programs > Maintenance > Create a System Repair Disk, following the instructions to create a bootable CD.
Security Consultant
james sluder

Boot Disc ?? Help

Post by james sluder »

Wiz so far i have made a Recovery disc 1 & 2 .

Toshiba applaction and drivers disc . I'll keep trying to get a system repair disc .

The computer is working fine at present ,,i changed some settings so it only sleeps when i tell it to. and boots back ok .

I really thank you for all your help .

James .
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

What storage capacity (CD or thumb drive) is needed for a system repair disc?
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Charlie McDonald wrote:What storage capacity (CD or thumb drive) is needed for a system repair disc?
My Windows 7 system repair disk exists on one standard capacity CD-R.
Security Consultant