Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bryan Daste

The Pedal Steel Podcast

Post by Bryan Daste »

Hey Forumites!
I'm starting a new podcast aimed at pedal steel guitarists. Check it out here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/epi ... 37547&mt=2

Direct link: http://pedalsteelpodcast.wordpress.com

If you have an idea for a segment or have a product you'd like reviewed on the show, email me at pedalsteelpodcast@gmail.com.

There's even a giveaway in the first episode!

Thanks!
Bryan
Last edited by Bryan Daste on 29 Aug 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

We're giving away two copies of the very cool Riffstation phrase training software - listen to the episode for details!

http://riffstation.com
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

There's a full review of the software on the first episode of The Pedal Steel Podcast. I used Riffstation to isolate a steel lick, slow it down, and even remove it from the track in order to play along with the band. You can check it out at http://pedalsteelpodcast.wordpress.com, directly on iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ped ... 0911?mt=2#, or just search for Pedal Steel Podcast on the podcast section of the iTunes store.

And, if you leave an iTunes review of the podcast (click on Ratings and Reviews in the podcast description in the iTunes store) and email me your username so I can give proper credit for the review, you're entered to win a copy of Riffstation!
Email pedalsteelpodcast@gmail.com.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

It's come to my attention that it can be hard to find the link to leave an iTunes review - here's how you do it:

In iTunes on a computer - Go to Podcasts (icon looks like a stick figure with radio waves around it) then click on iTunes Store (top right). Search for Pedal Steel Podcast. It will show a list of episodes and then a list of podcasts with bigger icons. Click on the Pedal Steel Podcast icon, and then under the title it has a link for Ratings and Reviews. Just above the first review there's a button for Write a Review. You may be prompted to sign in with your Apple ID.

On an iPhone - go to the Podcasts app. Use the search button (lower right) and search for Pedal Steel Podcast. Again, It will show a list of episodes and then a list of podcasts with bigger icons. Click on the Pedal Steel Podcast icon, and hit the Reviews button, then Write a Review.

We really appreciate these iTunes reviews because they help the podcast look attractive to potential interviewees and companies who might like their products reviewed - which means more content & more episodes of the podcast! Maybe even more giveaways :-)

Thanks to everyone who has reviewed so far!

Bryan
James Kerr

Post by James Kerr »

Bryan,
Is there anything a non Apple owner/user can do to view this stuff without having to buy an expensive Apple product or have their computer taken over by the Corporation.

James.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Yes - just go to pedalsteelpodcast.wordpress.com and click the play button in the player.
Thanks!
Paul Brockett

We have a winner!

Post by Paul Brockett »

I tuned into the Podcast and really liked it. Your very good at producing this podcast. I will tune into every one you make. Keep it up.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Very well done, Bryan...thanks! I transcribe a lot of pedal steel parts off CD's and have been using 20 year old technology. I think there's a riffstation download in my future :)
Richard Keller

Post by Richard Keller »

Great job on the podcast Bryan. Looking forward to more in the future.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Just wanted to give you an update, Bryan. Based on your review I downloaded riffstation today and was able to successfully isolate and slow down the steel parts on the song I was transcribing...thanks!
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

And congratulations to Ronald Cid and Brian Saulsman, who both won copies of Riffstation - thanks for listening & reviewing! Also a big thank you to Sonic Ladder for providing the giveaway. :D

We've got another episode coming next month - if you have a product you'd like reviewed, or some music you'd like me to feature, or even an idea for a segment - I'm all ears! Email me at pedalsteelpodcast@gmail.com.

Bryan
Ronald Cid

Post by Ronald Cid »

Bryan

Thank you very much for the beautiful prize, but, more than that, for the PodCast. The idea of a PodCast on the PSG is brilliant.

Up here in the lonely Québec country-side, where even in July, you see your breathe in the early morning, we sure do appreciate some great information on our passion.

Once again thanks

RC
Geoffrey Latham

Enjoyed the PODCAST....KEEP IT UP!

Post by Geoffrey Latham »

Hi Bryan, I listened to your PODCAST today and it carried me through my cardio-rehab with a smile. Thanks for that!

I'm still just a novice (about one year) on 10 strings but found a lot of your comments and regards for the instrument are what I am discovering. I hope you find success with this venture so I can look forward to hearing more of it.

Good luck to you!

FYI - I found the podcast by luck just searching "pedal steel guitar" on my "tune in" radio app for iphone.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, and hope you're doing well :-)
Nathan Guilford

Steel podcast!!

Post by Nathan Guilford »

This is awesome!!! Thanks so much for the episode. Can't wait for the next. I am constantly hearing steel parts in my head to music that others wouldn't think its appropriate for. Your guest talking about the pedal steel as an ambient soundscape instrument has really got me thinking....

Thanks again.

Nathan
'02 Carter S-12 uni
‘76 MSA D-12
www.toothbrushers.com
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Episode 2 of The Pedal Steel Podcast is up! This month we feature an interview with Paul Brainard.

https://pedalsteelpodcast.wordpress.com/

Multi-instrumentalist Paul Brainard is a veteran of the Alt-Country and Americana scene, playing and recording with many top names over the last decade and beyond. He specializes in all forms of Steel Guitar—pedal, non-pedal, Dobro—as well as guitar and trumpet. He is further noted for his producing skills and his instrumental arrangements of strings and horns.

Paul is currently a fixture of the local music scene in Portland, Oregon, where he is a much-in-demand sideman and session player. He also leads several ensembles of his own including a jazz organ trio, the Hawaiian-influenced Pu Pu Platters, and his Fun Machine Orchestra. His first self-released CD, Caught Steelin' was produced in 2007.

Some highlights of Paul's career include work on-stage and in the studio with the following artists:

Richmond Fontaine
Alejendro Escovedo
The Sadies
M.Ward
She & Him
Bobby Bare, Jr.
Caleb Klauder
The Damnations TX
Eels
Ian Moore
The Decemberists
The Lost Brothers
James Low
Kim Ritchey
Little Sue
Fernando
Jake Ray

Thanks!
Bryan
Paul Stauskas

Post by Paul Stauskas »

Bryan, I really enjoyed this episode with Paul Brainard. He is one of my favorite current players.

Looking forward to future episodes.
Joe Stoddard

Post by Joe Stoddard »

James Kerr wrote:Bryan,
Is there anything a non Apple owner/user can do...James.
PMFJI - if you have any kind of smartphone.... I use Stitcher radio app (all major brands of SmartPhone and also a web browser version) to listen to podcasts- I was happy to find the Pedal Steel Podcast available there. http://www.stitcher.com/ or in either of the Android/iPhone app stores. The benefit of using Stitcher - over time you can track what you have and haven't listened to, etc. regardless of what you use to listen to the episodes (your phone, tablet, or web browser)

Probably moot issue if all you use is a browser - but someone might find this helpful

Bryan -thanks for doing this -it's a great addition to the podcast world!
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

Bryan-

Absolutely love the podcasts. Can't wait to hear more. Really liking the discussion of gear, gadgets, players and new music I should check out for pedal steel.

Thanks and keep it up,

Justin
Ronald Cid

Post by Ronald Cid »

Listened to PodCast 2. Very entertaining. Thanks RC
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

Great stuff Bryan, a really good listen :)
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Bryan,I will listen later tonight!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Episode 3 of the Pedal Steel Podcast, featuring an interview with noted pedal steel player and teacher John McClung, is up now!

Available here:
https://pedalsteelpodcast.wordpress.com ... n-mcclung/

As well as iTunes, Apple podcast app, Stitcher, and more - if you have a podcast app that we're not on, let me know & I'll look into it!

Bryan
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Episode 4 of the Pedal Steel Podcast is up now!

https://pedalsteelpodcast.wordpress.com ... -schulman/

Featuring an interview with Stu Schulman and a review of the NU-Generation Tone Bar.

Thanks for listening!
Nathan Guilford

Post by Nathan Guilford »

Hey yall! Everybody needs to listen to these great podcasts. If you don't know how to access it, ask somebody. This is for all steel-lovers and you're really missing out if you don't hear it.
'02 Carter S-12 uni
‘76 MSA D-12
www.toothbrushers.com