Milkman on Letterman with Jackson Browne

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Did anyone else notice that Jackson seems to have had a little work done on his face? And I think it must have been recent, his pronunciation of words wasn't the same, little slurry here and there. Sounded like he might have been fighting a cold, too. Just saying, no big. I've heard him sing much better. :|
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Tommy Boswell

Post by Tommy Boswell »

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:What was the effect he was using?
Maybe some kind of "auto-wah" on Take It Easy?

I'd like to know too.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Effect: Phaser
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

My wife and I first noticed several years ago that Jackson seemed to have some work done on his face. And his voice sounded a little hoarse, but it sounds better in the NPR Tiny Desk concert video about which Andy Volk started a thread, so maybe he had a cold or something the day of the Letterman taping.

Back to Jackson's face - he of course was one of Rock's "babe magnets" as a young dude, had it all going on. Good looking guy, sensitive singer/songwriter type but personable and witty.

Coincidentally it's Browne's 66th birthday today.

He still has the hair - you'd think that would suffice - but I guess he figured he could turn back time with some "work" on the old mug.

Decades spent being a babe magnet can be tough deal to face as far as when it's time to throw in the towel and call it quits.
:wink:
Mark
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

Mark Eaton wrote:Decades spent being a babe magnet can be tough deal to face as far as when it's time to throw in the towel and call it quits.
thats why he has Rosie :D
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

The looks may be gone but at least (I just found out!), he's still alive! I knew that a Jackson Browne tribute album had come out recently and I thought I remembered reading he had passed away awhile ago (sorry JB!). I saw the title of this thread and it sounded interesting...did they use some sort of hologram of him singing while Greg played steel??? Turns out I had him confused with Dan Fogelberg. Hey, they both looked a fair amount alike back in the day. I guess I'm forced to admit that memory is the first thing to go...but then again those years were kinda tough on all of us :)
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Tim Marcus wrote:
Mark Eaton wrote:Decades spent being a babe magnet can be tough deal to face as far as when it's time to throw in the towel and call it quits.
thats why he has Rosie :D
Au contraire, Tim. If you remember the lyrics, "Rosie" was written from the standpoint of the soundman, who let the cute girl into the show, and she ran off at the end of the night with the drummer.

Might be different now for old Jackson now, but he was surely never the "Rosie" character back in the day... :wink:
Mark
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

His smooth forehead makes me think that he has had a recent bout of botulism.
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

Mark Eaton wrote:Might be different now for old Jackson now, but he was surely never the "Rosie" character back in the day... :wink:
ha - yeah, I know - Rosie is the only song ever written about the monitor guy, but it was the best chance I had for getting that joke under the radar :D
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

That's what 50 years of singing will do to your voice. He still sounds great, and put together a fantastic band.
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

The Steel through that Amp sound's great Tim. T.L.
Last edited by Lee Dassow on 12 Oct 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Jamie Howze

Post by Jamie Howze »

I watched this on a tablet and could hear Greg quite well. My wife commented on the steel even from across the table. I loved the way Greg echoed then doubled parts of the closing solo on the first tune.

By the way, David McCallum is still acting on TV. He plays "Ducky" the medical examiner on NCIS these days. When I was a kid I wanted to BE Illya Kuryakin.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

sounds like a slow phaser on the steel and telly , nice effect.. I thought Greg sounded great on the Williams and his Milkman amp.

I would like to see a closer look at his effects rig.. I'm still using a side rack and pile a couple stomp boxes on it .
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

once again, i could barely hear him. and i wanted to. i consider greg a real non-plastic player.

speaking of plastics, though....if i were rich i sure wouldn't worry about pulling my eyebrows too tight. i like my beautiful natural look!
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Greg's playing sounded extra silky this time around through the Milkman.

The second song medley of Take It Easy-Our Lady allowed Greg to open up heaven.

My fave JB album is Late For The Sky.

It appears they were doing an impromptu jam on Letterman but they pulled it together eventually.

Nice Hammond playing as well.

Illya playing a Tele. Now I've seen everything.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

Saw Jackson Browne's show at the Benedum Theater in Pittsburgh last night. Very good. Greg Leisz was playing an Emmons guitar, a couple of six strings, as well as several different lap guitars, and nailed David Lindley's solos from the older tunes. He was spotlighted with a pedal steel solo on the very first song and I turned to the lady seated beside me and said, "This is the guy I came to see".
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

He's in Winslow Arizona but without seven women on his mind? I listened three times but I'm not sure what the song is about. Apparently there's some stuff. That he, like, noticed? - I never was good at the deep ones. That guitar player sure did bring enough pedals to play three songs! That's how you can tell the great ones, nowadays. I was immediately concerned that Mr. Liezs has the Easley Condition - he's too darn polite to just turn up and torch the noisy one. You could see that he at least thought about it once, though. I'll bet he could pretty much terrorize anybody if he ever got mad. And I'd pay to hear that.... :roll:
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

David Mason wrote:That guitar player sure did bring enough pedals to play three songs! That's how you can tell the great ones, nowadays. I was immediately concerned that Mr. Liezs has the Easley Condition - he's too darn polite to just turn up and torch the noisy one. You could see that he at least thought about it once, though. I'll bet he could pretty much terrorize anybody if he ever got mad. And I'd pay to hear that.... :roll:
If you've ever seen Leisz play, you know he cuts thru when he wants to, lays back otherwise. He's all about subtlety and leaving lots of room in the song.

As for the guitar player's pedals, he's probably got that board set up as a swiss army knife - all he needs there for any situation. He's not gonna tear about his pedal board to play 3 songs, he's just gonna put the whole board on the floor and use what he needs.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

That is a nice looking Williams S12U Greg is playing!
Looks like a 6x6.
Nice.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

It's an extended E9 Williams he picked up a couple of years ago, Pete.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Cool, thanks John.
I play a 6x6 Uni, so thought it was a Uun.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

They should have split the leads for better composition. The Tele player was taking it all. They should have bounced off each other. One dimensional lead playing is what it was. Mr. Greg should have gotten some hang time.