Emmons Push Pull Restoration Advice

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeremy Moyers

Emmons Push Pull Restoration Advice

Post by Jeremy Moyers »

Hello all,

I have an Emmons PP that was my grandfather’s that I am looking to have gone through and restored both mechanically and cosmetically. I believe that the guitar is either a '66 or a '68 but I can’t seem to get a definitive answer based upon serial numbers, etc…. Maybe someone on here can give me some insight into this.

This restoration is a little different than many other restorations that I read about in that this guitar is a huge part of my family's history. I am a third generation steel player and have heard and played this guitar my entire life. My granddad, Wally Moyers Sr. was an incredible steel player and I’d love to honor his legacy by having this guitar restored and back “on the band stand” again. It has set in it’s case not being played since he passed in 1991, and that is a shame.

All this being said, I’d like to hear from you guys who have had your PP Emmons guitars restored. Who did you use? What was your experience like? What should I look out for? Price is not nearly as important as finding someone that is a great craftsman and that I can trust to take care in restoring this guitar while leaving as many of the original parts in place as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Jeremy
Mike Wilkerson

P/P emmons

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

i dont know his name but www.steelguitarswest.com is where i looked and this guy is amazing....Slim
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Lynn Stafford is his name and it's steel guitar west
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Jeremy Moyers

Post by Jeremy Moyers »

Thanks Mike, I actually had one other person recommend Lynn to do this project. His work looks great! I'll reach out to him tomorrow!

Jeremy
Mike Wilkerson

P/P emmons

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Judging by his pics on his web site he looks like the guy to do your project.I wish you could've seen my 1969 P/P that was restored by Bobbe Seymoure...She lost her life when my dads house burned down..She was red lacquer with the mica checks across the front apron...She would talk to ya lol
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Jeremy is Wally from Lubbock your dad?
Jeremy Moyers

Post by Jeremy Moyers »

Hey Mike, yes, Wally is my dad. This guitar was his dads guitar. I moved to Nashville from Lubbock back in 97 and then ended up in Atlanta after playing on the road for about 8 years.

I've also heard great things about Tommy Cass and his work. The photos of his restorations look incredible. I guess I'll call Lynn and Tommy tomorrow and talk to them about this project.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Mike Cass over in Dickson Tennessee also knows his stuff.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

Lynn Stafford.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

I have had experience with having push-pulls refurbished and restored, upwards of about 10 or so.

First, let me applaud your approach in wanting a skilled person do the work. Speaking for myself, even though having a very nice workshop and some mechanical ability, I recognize when it is best, and ultimately worth every penny, to have an expert tackle a job. Emmons push-pulls fall in that category. I find them in all kinds of condition, usually poor from previous owners' poor attempts and, frankly, butchery. Oh, the stories....

Dave Peterson of Wheeling IL has done his magic on, oh, maybe 7 or 8 of those. Unfortunately, since I prefer to drop off and pick up the steels, logistics, miles, and schedules severely limit my using his excellent skills.

I am closer to Mike Cass in Dickson TN and now use him. And he is something else. The first one he did for me was a '68 that was just this side of a basket case. What he did to it was, well, a miracle. I have since taken several others to him. I have never met anyone who knows so much about Emmons and all the intricacies and nuances of their guitars. Highly, highly recommended.

I have also seen the work of Lynn Stafford and can tell, from an informed viewpoint, that I would use him if I lived on the west coast. He's a heck of a great guy and honest as the day is long, just like Dave and Mike are, too.

Best of luck to you in this. I am sure your grandfather is proud and smiling.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Lynn Stafford is great. Billy Knowles @ Steel Guitar East knows his stuff too.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i would choose mike cass first. he's also probably the closest to you.
Patrick Richards

Emmons Restoration

Post by Patrick Richards »

Can only speak to what I know, and I know Mike Cass has been great to me. He is an absolute premier Emmons builder. I've had him do both p/p restorative work and adjustments for me. My guitar gets worked on a daily basis and road work most every weekend or better. He's been more than patient with me regarding maintenance p/p questions. Pro player, pro builder. Great guy and totally dedicated to his art and craft.
Jeremy Moyers

Post by Jeremy Moyers »

Thank you for all of the information guys! Can any of you give me Mike Cass' contact information? I would love to talk to him as well.

I spoke with Lynn Stafford at length yesterday, and you guys are right, he is a great guy! He took a lot of time to discuss his process and I feel like it would be a great experience working with him on this project. I would still like to explore all options though, so please keep the recommendations coming.

Jeremy
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

I would leave it alone unless it has some mechanical issues.

An "All Original Emmons" seems to have more flair than a refurbished one.
Who looks under the cabinet of a steel other than another steel player?
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
Jack Goodson

pp restoration?

Post by Jack Goodson »

jeremy, i agree with charley, if it needs mechanical help i would do that. but i would never do a complete re-build. i traded a 1973 lacquer pp to some one a few years back and then bought it back about 5 years later after it was completely re-done. it never had the same tone after the rebuild. if you ever get down to south alabama i can make it play great but i don't do total rebuilds (i also work very cheap). give me a yell sometime....thanks jack
Mike Bagwell

Post by Mike Bagwell »

IMHO just make sure the guitar is setup properly maybe polish it up a little. That's all I would do unless it's been damaged or broken it someway.
Would you restore an original 50's Tele?

Mike
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

Billy Knowles
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Jeremy

I agree with Sid! I have had personal experience with Billy Knowles and he knows an Emmons as good as anyone I have ever met. And, a super nice guy too. I think he does Refurbs as well. There are others that range from East Coast to West Coast......I am sure they all do great work.

But, as stated earlier, no other person except a steel player is going to care about the underneath. Your ear and the audience you are playing to are the ones you are trying to satisfy.

In the end, its your guitar and your money......I have a P/P and I will only have the mechanical issues tended to should I ever need attention to my guitar.

On another note, I met your dad in Dallas and what a great resource to have at your disposal. Heck of nice guy and I enjoyed visiting with him while in Texas.
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
Ricky Hagan

Post by Ricky Hagan »

Hands down Billy Knowles.
I have three push pulls in the steel section under Ricky's stable. All three push pulls were restored by Billy. Take a look at them. There is no better steel man or guy than Billy. I promise you will be satisfied. If you would like some pictures of his work email me.
chris ivey

Re: pp restoration?

Post by chris ivey »

Jack Goodson wrote:jeremy, i agree with charley, if it needs mechanical help i would do that. but i would never do a complete re-build. i traded a 1973 lacquer pp to some one a few years back and then bought it back about 5 years later after it was completely re-done. it never had the same tone after the rebuild.
i've wondered if others notice this after they pay someone to wash the mojo off their cool old steels.
richard burton

Re: pp restoration?

Post by richard burton »

chris ivey wrote:
i've wondered if others notice this after they pay someone to wash the mojo off their cool old steels.
Don't torque every screw murder-tight, let the cabinet have some freedom
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

Billy Knowles

Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

dang Sid, I have not seen so much bling in ages... I need sun glasses to look at that picture :whoa:
Steve Spitz

Billy, Mike, or Lynn

Post by Steve Spitz »

I'm sure all three are great at what they do.
Lynn did some work for me, and it was fantastic.