Pedal steel trio recordings (just bass, drums, and steel)?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Rudolph

Pedal steel trio recordings (just bass, drums, and steel)?

Post by David Rudolph »

Are there any recommended pedal steel/bass/drum trio albums? Seems to be a rare combination.

Thanks!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I don't think this list will be very long, if any at all. I've never heard of any. I did, however, play a club gig for a while that was just me, a bass player, drummer and a girl singer. Did that for maybe 6 months, every Friday and Saturday. Didn't sound real great, but people kept coming back.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Christopher Woitach

Post by Christopher Woitach »

I have a trio like that, a jazz group. Our first concert will be in the fall, and will be recorded. If it doesn't suck, I'll post some tunes
Christopher Woitach
cw@affmusic.com
www.affmusic.com
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

My first full-time steel job was drums,bass and a girl singer! I had been playing steel less than two years in 1976, when I was hired for five nights a week for about four months. Talk about diving into the deep end! All intros,solos,turn arounds, and about six instrumentals each night. Quite a learning experience.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

WOW...!!! Way to go!

How many years of "home playing" would it take to get that kind of experience???
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

An infinity of it.
Like, 'take over for Brubeck on steel.'
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Richard Sinkler

John Swain wrote:My first full-time steel job was drums,bass and a girl singer! I had been playing steel less than two years in 1976, when I was hired for five nights a week for about four months. Talk about diving into the deep end! All intros,solos,turn arounds, and about six instrumentals each night. Quite a learning experience.
I actually used a compressor as an effect to get that popping Tele sound to make it seem like there was a guitar player on stage. The part I found challenging was, having to play the rhythm guitar parts, AND having to fit in intros, fills, solos, endings, etc along with it, without losing the groove. Not something I would want to do again.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Len Ryder

Post by Len Ryder »

Played for many years with steel, drums and a great rhythm guitar player. All three of us sang so it was no big load on any of us.
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

I also played many years in various bass, drum, steel groups... It really is not as uncommon as one would first think. A bonus is that the cash is only divided three ways!

Robert
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

No record yet? So we'll have to look forward to Cristopher's.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

When I saw Jody Nix in the '90s it was two fiddles, steel, bass, and drums. They killed it, of course.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

The tenth and eleventh photos down on this thread from last year's Midwest Steel Guitar Festival feature the Nick Ascher Trio but alas, Joachim, I couldn't find any recordings.
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

Years ago when I lived near Barcelona, I had a trio for a while called "Twin Guitar Special" consisting of the amazing Mario Cobo on guitar, Mike Segura on stand-up bass, and me on steel. We played a little swing, some light jazz, and a lot of 1940's country music. We never recorded, but I wish we had.
On Earth, as it is in Texas
Richard Sinkler

I did a duet thing with a guitar player in the early/mid 70's.
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

After I discovered this, I sent this link to all my buddies here in Chicago, and raving about it.
I don't know if the guitar player didn't show up, but who needs him? Ricky Davis kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjN5CDNPDDI

BTW, I just bought all of Miss Leslie's records yesterday.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Tom Campbell wrote:WOW...!!! Way to go!

How many years of "home playing" would it take to get that kind of experience???

Well, like John, my first gig on Steel was with a trio, I was 50% on Telecaster and the other 50% on Steel. I was the only guitar player, Steel or Tele...played Instrumentals, traditional country, R+R..etc..

How much experience ? Well not much for me ! Seeing I probably only played Steel for 2 years before I got the gig it was quite an adventure !

How much home playing ? I guess the answer was 4 or 5 days each week , in between 2 or 3 gigs each week! :lol: I did that for about 5 years, we had a steady Fri night and a steady Sun night for many years.

Thats one way to learn songs and get seat time !

:)
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Richard Sinkler

I have seen a 3 piece where there was a bass, drums and a guy that played both steel guitar. He had his guitar mounted on a stand to where he could play steel and turn to his right and play the guitar, in the same song. He was pretty decent.
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

Billy Cooper has a recording of himself playing with just a bass and drums that is quite good. Not sure if its still available, you might try going to his website and hunting around, maybe contact him and he could send you one. By the way, the bass and drums seem to be a machine, but the steel playing is very good and the overall sound is pleasing.
Paul Wade

3 piece

Post by Paul Wade »

well i am about to do a 3 piece band up here in Wisconsin. my teacher back in the 80's did a three piece and it was great. a lot to take in. will let you know if it works or not .

p.w :)
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Curly Chalker Trio yet. Here's a great tribute from Stan Hitchcock:
http://www.bhtvmailer.com/bhtvnl/0110/SH_shadow.html
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Geeze...brings back memories. I am so glad I got to see "Curls" play before he left us.
Dan Burnham

Trio

Post by Dan Burnham »

Most of Zane Becks Recordings were trio with the exception of:
12 + 14 with Julian
and another one with Bobby Caldwell

Dan
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Jim Smith wrote:I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Curly Chalker Trio yet. Here's a great tribute from Stan Hitchcock:
http://www.bhtvmailer.com/bhtvnl/0110/SH_shadow.html
Thank you, Jim. What a great song!
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

plug your steel in and play play some chords to get the key and timing and then BIAB takes over and plays the bass and drums as you play.
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

TTT