Cougar Pedal Steel (I think)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Geldner

Cougar Pedal Steel (I think)

Post by Tom Geldner »

I finally broke down and bought a steel guitar. The previous owner thought it was a Cougar. He wasn't 100% sure since there are no nameplates or serials anywhere on it. A few internet photo searches turned up this SD-10 at Elderly that looks identical and ID'ed as a Cougar.

http://www.elderly.com/items/185U-544.htm

The only difference is that mine has an add-on matching arm rest.

It seems pretty well made if a little stiff on the action. It would be cool if I could find a PDF of a manual or brochure or something for it. Here are some photos.

Image[/url]
Just 6-string lap steel. Mostly I play geetar and sing.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Not bad, I'd play that guitar.. I can't see real clearly but it looks to me like the pull rods from the changer to the bellcranks are in the bottom holes of the bellcranks... That will give shorter but stiffer pedal action.
Put the rods in the next hole up[closer to the body], and it will decrease that stiff pedal feel quite a bit.. you may also have to adjust pedal stops and nylons as well.... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Tom Geldner

Post by Tom Geldner »

Thanks Bob. I'll probably have Jim Palenscar look at it when I get the chance. The C pedal already has a fairly long throw on it.
Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

Freeman Cowgar(sp) built some nice guitars. I bought my '75 Pro III from Freeman's brother. Freeman built him a new guitar and Ed Naylor (RIP) told me about the that Sho-Bud being for sale. I wanted a second guitar and bought it in 2001.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Looks like a Cougar to me as I have one...there was never a manual as far as I recall......
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

What Howard said. Got a 6 string just like it. Well designed, fine playing instrument. Basic hardware, no frills. Here 'tis. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ght=cougar
Tom Geldner

Post by Tom Geldner »

The odd part about it is that whoever owned it before the guy I bought it from put velcro (fuzzy side) all the way around the body. I suspect he had some kind of cloth draping system or maybe display boards around the steel. Maybe like modesty panels on a desk.

It literally took me 2 hours and a whole mess of goof off, acetone and goo gone to get the adhesive residue off. And I still have two sides of the armrest left. :P :\
Tom Geldner

Post by Tom Geldner »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:What Howard said. Got a 6 string just like it. Well designed, fine playing instrument. Basic hardware, no frills. Here 'tis. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ght=cougar
Nice. I can see the lineage. Since mine is unlabeled, I'm thinking of sticking a Mercury Cougar car emblem on it.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Really.
Nice looking guitar.

I would love to have one of those six-stringers.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Tom, a graphic ad,printing or sign shop could probably die cut an original Cougar label for you if you wanted.