What string brand do you use and why

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Thomas

Strings

Post by Ray Thomas »

Live Steel
Ray Thomas
Livesteel Strings Dealer
Call 919-920-5482
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

I've always used GHS Boomers nickle until I tried a set of Sid's Live Steel strings now I'm hooked. :D
Dale
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Cobra Coil here. I like the longevity, tension and the twang. Good vfm.

Last edited by Ken Byng on 15 Feb 2015 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

Live steel nickel.
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

DAddario, Makes my Emmons PP sound good. :D
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Am I the only guy besides Robert Randolph using Dean Markley? I've been using their Blue Steel bass strings for many years, and now their steel guitar strings, too.
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

Live Steel. Nobody has mentioned John Pearse. I've bought a few sets from b0b, like them as well.
Larry Waisner

Strings

Post by Larry Waisner »

SIT's on all my steels.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I figure that my technique (how well I play) is far more limiting than my strings, so I'll use whatever brand I can get! 8)
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

I've always had good luck with these -

Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Live Steel Strings. You place an order and they arrive shortly thereafter. Can't be the delivery response.

And, they sound good on any guitar that I have played.
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

SITs-- Been using them a long time. The factory is close to where I live, and you can custom order strings in any sizes you want. I rarely break a string. -Jake-
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

I have used the bulk strings (SS wound) from juststrings dot com for many years. They sound just as good and last as long as all of the others I have tried.

Robert
Stephen Kuester

Post by Stephen Kuester »

6 packs of SIT strings at Juststrings.com for around $50, shipped.

Great selection and prices. Check em out.
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

I use D'Addario Premium Nickel Wound Strings that are available in "Build Your Own Bulk Sets". I purchase these from Gary at:
www.rittenberrysteelguitars.com
Drew Pierce

Post by Drew Pierce »

I can't say for certain about the present, but there was a time when the Mapes Piano String Company was just about the sole manufacturer of instrument strings in the US, and they were simply marketed under various different brand names. I think they still are to a large extent. Here, for example, is a page from their website, which directs to several different popular brands. I doubt they are directing buyers to their competition. http://www.mapeswire.com/specialtywire.html

At one time, you could buy Mapes brand guitar strings and they were about half the price of Black Diamond, Martin or Gibson strings, which were probably all made by Mapes anyway.

I used George L's stainless for many years and, more recently, I'm using Curt Mangan Jerry Roller nickelwound, which I like a lot. Jerry tells me that, unlike many brands, Mangan actually makes his own strings.
Drew Pierce
Emmons D10 Fatback, S10 bolt-on, Zum D10, Evans RE500, Hilton volume and delay pedals.
Fred Thompson

Post by Fred Thompson »

Live Steel Nickel for me. Great service, zero breakage, and they make my Zum Hum! ;-)
The difference between a musician and a savings bond is eventually the bond will mature and earn money.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

DALE WHITENER wrote:I've always used GHS Boomers nickle until I tried a set of Sid's Live Steel strings now I'm hooked. :D
Dale
I like the GHS Pure Nickel Rollerwounds, too, though its been a while since I used them. A fellow forum member sent me a pack of Live Steel and Cobra Coils to try out, and I really liked them both. Between the two, I didn't buy any strings for many months and mostly just changed them out from curiosity. Mostly, I think its the change of sound I like when changing strings.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

I've been using Live Steel for a while, but lately I've been breaking a lot of .012 3rd strings while stringing up. Once they are on there, no problem. I have broken one or two each time I restring... ball end mostly. On Sho~Bud, Emmons PP, and Williams guitars. Any one else have that happen?

I like Jagwires. I understand that there have been supply issues, but I just got a couple of sets from Danny the other day.

Putting on a set of Curt Mangan strings later today... will report.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Drew Pierce wrote:I can't say for certain about the present, but there was a time when the Mapes Piano String Company was just about the sole manufacturer of instrument strings in the US, and they were simply marketed under various different brand names. I think they still are to a large extent. Here, for example, is a page from their website, which directs to several different popular brands. I doubt they are directing buyers to their competition. http://www.mapeswire.com/specialtywire.html

At one time, you could buy Mapes brand guitar strings and they were about half the price of Black Diamond, Martin or Gibson strings, which were probably all made by Mapes anyway.

I used George L's stainless for many years and, more recently, I'm using Curt Mangan Jerry Roller nickelwound, which I like a lot. Jerry tells me that, unlike many brands, Mangan actually makes his own strings.
GHS, D'Addario, and Curt Mangan are ones I know make their own strings. I know also the first 2 make strings for other brands on contract. According to the GHS guy at least they're all spec made. No one is reselling exact GHS strings.
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

mike nolan wrote:I've been using Live Steel for a while, but lately I've been breaking a lot of .012 3rd strings while stringing up. Once they are on there, no problem. I have broken one or two each time I restring... ball end mostly. On Sho~Bud, Emmons PP, and Williams guitars. Any one else have that happen?

I like Jagwires. I understand that there have been supply issues, but I just got a couple of sets from Danny the other day.

Putting on a set of Curt Mangan strings later today... will report.
Allow me to address the subject of breaking a 12 gauge string.

For 40 years Buddy Emmons got that beautiful tone we all remember and he did it with a 10 gauge string.

Then somewhere along the line people started experimenting with an 11 gauge string and it became industry standard so to speak.

Now people are starting to experiment with a twelve gauge string for the G# (third string).

Should we bypass the 12 gauge and just move on to the 13 gauge?

Certainly not.

Why… you wouldn’t get it to an F note before it would break. If it did break it might cut you finger off just above the knuckle.

A 12 gauge string for the (third string) is right on the line of being too big. (Too much tensile strength)

Can you get one on the guitar? Sure!
You might get it on the 1st try or the 6th try. The moral of the story is be prepared to break some strings unless of course you are a pro player.

It’s just a simple fact, for an array of different reasons some players regularly break strings and most do not.

This is my opinion.

Different strokes for different folks. I personally do not like the 12 gauge for a 3rd string. Why?

A good player frequently uses the third string in combination with other strings. Just to name 3:
3 and 2
3 and 5
3,4 and 5

The tensile strength of a 12 gauge string (used for a 3rd string) is so taught that it feels out of balance when used in combination with other strings.

Ex: When using the 3rd string in combination with the 4th string, it makes the 4th string feel flappy. There is such a dramatic difference in tensile strength, it feels strange to me.

I believe that tensile strength should feel as even as possible when playing across the strings.

Having a string as rigid as a 12 gauge string that pulls to an A note surrounded by strings of significant less tensile strength is not of my taste.

But does it sound better?

My ear tells me that the 11 gauge 3rd string is louder than the 12 gauge 3rd string.

Sooooo… The 12 gauge 3rd string is not only very rigid to the touch, the small amount of volume loss irritates me.

To each there own but please don’t blame the string manufacturer when it is you that can’t get a string on a guitar.

Sid Hudson
Ray Mangrum

Post by Ray Mangrum »

Live Steel Strings
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Sid,

I've been using .012 strings on all of my guitars for years of professional playing. It’s worth noting that many famous players like Paul Franklin and Russ Hicks gravitate toward heavier strings.

I almost never break strings. I really like the Live Steel strings, but I have been having problems getting them up to tension. Once they are there, they are fine. I'm not trying to provoke an argument here, but, that has been my experience. I don't have that issue with other brands. The Live Steels are obviously different somehow, as I had to make adjustments on all of the guitars that I put them on. With that different nature, it is possible that I might have better luck with a .011, both in stringing up, and in feel, with the Live Steels, so I'll give it a try.
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

Russ Hicks uses an 11.

I know. There Live steel strings
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Thanks,

Got the info on Russ from here on the forum.... he must have changed. At any rate if you look through a number of "Artist" sets from different companies, you will see that a lot of folks do use .012s. So it isn't all that unusual. Not that it matters all that much in the larger scheme of things.