Gibson 1935 Woodbody ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve DeFeo

Gibson 1935 Woodbody ?

Post by Steve DeFeo »

Can anybody help me confirm what my guitar is? Gruhn's guide indicates that it's a 1935 Woodbody, but there were so many versions made in the early days that I can't be sure.

It's in perfect condition, except that the plastic tuner heads have crumbled and deteriorated to the point that it can no longer be tuned. I don't like the idea of putting non-original parts on it and don't know if I even could find a set.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

This guitar is VERY intriguing. I am somewhat familiar with the Gibson lap steel line, and I haven't seen one like this before. The body shape is of the type made for the Roy Smeck and Model D style, branded as "Recording King" on the headstock, and sold through Montgomery Ward. However...

I've never seen one finished in black, branded as a Gibson on the headstock, and especially a slot headstock at that. In fact, the only Gibson lap steels with slotted headstocks I'm aware of are the ones with cast metal necks.

I hope someone with more info chimes in, because this is looking like a custom job to me. In any case, I think it's very rare.
Jack Hanson

Re: Gibson 1935 Woodbody ?

Post by Jack Hanson »

Steve DeFeo wrote:...the plastic tuner heads have crumbled and deteriorated to the point that it can no longer be tuned. I don't like the idea of putting non-original parts on it and don't know if I even could find a set.
It would be a relatively easy job to replace the plastic tuner buttons. It's a common repair that has to done more often than not on old tuners. They are available from Stewart-MacDonald and elsewhere:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par ... Knobs.html

Awesome instrument. Never seen one like it.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

I had the same thoughts as Scott: looks like a variant of the Recording King models. The only Gibson laps with slotted headstock I'm aware of, aside from the EH-185 and 275, were indeed custom builds.

The vol/tone knobs are the type I've only previously seen on Epiphone laps, but perhaps a commonly available item at the time... or, maybe not original to the instrument?
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

James Hartman wrote:The vol/tone knobs are the type I've only previously seen on Epiphone laps, but perhaps a commonly available item at the time... or, maybe not original to the instrument?
Gibson used a similar knob on some of their prewar Kalamazoos:

The instrument shown above is a 1941 KEH (Kalamazoo Electric Hawaiian) lap steel.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Jack Hanson wrote:
James Hartman wrote:The vol/tone knobs are the type I've only previously seen on Epiphone laps, but perhaps a commonly available item at the time... or, maybe not original to the instrument?
Gibson used a similar knob on some of their prewar Kalamazoos:

The instrument shown above is a 1941 KEH (Kalamazoo Electric Hawaiian) lap steel.
So they did. I don't recall previously seeing one with those knobs, or perhaps just didn't notice.

Is that instrument yours? How do you like the pickup?
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

i think this is what is commonly called a 'floorsweep' model during the early war years. you see this often with gibson banjos or other instruments that were assembled from parts (vs say a guitar). they basically used whatever was in the parts bin with no direct catalog specifications to fill orders during the war. (WWII)
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

James Hartman wrote:Is that instrument yours?
It was, but alas, not anymore. A while back I sold it to a fellow member who I don't wish to identify without his permission. He's certainly welcome to chime in here if he'd like to do so.
James Hartman wrote:How do you like the pickup?
I liked it. It seemed fairly hot, with lots of high end and plenty of output. Rolling off the tone control mellowed it out considerably, exactly like it's supposed to. I do prefer the sound of the Gibson wide-oval (racetrack) and P-90 lap steel pickups, however.

I believe Gibson referred to this type of pickup as the P-13. They are commonly installed in early postwar Harmony, Silvertone, and other mass market guitars and lap steels that were manufactured in Chicago. Many feature that same distinctive metal pentagon mounting plate.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Jack Hanson wrote:
James Hartman wrote:Is that instrument yours?
It was, but alas, not anymore. A while back I sold it to a fellow member who I don't wish to identify without his permission. He's certainly welcome to chime in here if he'd like to do so.
James Hartman wrote:How do you like the pickup?
I liked it. It seemed fairly hot, with lots of high end and plenty of output. Rolling off the tone control mellowed it out considerably, exactly like it's supposed to. I do prefer the sound of the Gibson wide-oval (racetrack) and P-90 lap steel pickups, however.

I believe Gibson referred to this type of pickup as the P-13. They are commonly installed in early postwar Harmony, Silvertone, and other mass market guitars and lap steels that were manufactured in Chicago. Many feature that same distinctive metal pentagon mounting plate.
Yes, the P13. P13s I've played (I have a '50s Silvertone arch top with that pickup) I really liked. Most seemed hotter and a bit darker-voiced than a P90. I've never had an opportunity to play a P13 loaded lapsteel. Thanks for your comments.
Lynn Wheelwright

Post by Lynn Wheelwright »

I have seen one other like this. I am pretty sure yours is a refinish. It would help to have pictures of the back. Is it screwed on or glued on? Are there any numbers stamped into the back at the heel or on the back of the peghead? If the back screws on there may be more info. available by examining the inside.
Let me know I will do what I can to help.
Steve DeFeo

Post by Steve DeFeo »

I apologize for the extremely late follow-up to this thread.

The back has no screws and there are no numbers or other identification stamped anywhere on the body.

How would I determine if it has been refinished?

Lynn Wheelwright

Post by Lynn Wheelwright »

Looking at this it looks like an original finish after all.