Looking for 12 string advice, brands, U12 or Ex. E9?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Lyon

Looking for 12 string advice, brands, U12 or Ex. E9?

Post by Travis Lyon »

I play many different styles of music including country and americana, and often when I'm playing I yearn for the lower register that just doesn't exist on my S-10. I'd like to make the transition to a 12 and have been staring at copedents of the U12 and Ex. E9. Ex. E9 seems like a pretty direct transition for me, but I also like the added chordal versatility of the U-12 and it seems like its 100% of the E9 neck sans the low D string. I'd appreciate some general opinions on affordable (maybe ballpark $1500) 12 string models and opinions regarding the universal tunings.
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

It might be worth gaining a better understanding of the low D before deciding. Most U12 copedents offer a B->D, usually a knee lever. That's obviously a compromise.

Besides the low D, a D10 offers ((2*10)/12) as many pulls. I managed a good copedent out of a double raise/double lower U12 but three raises would have been better.

I find I use the low register more to cover keyboard pad parts ( like sustained organ chords ) in songs. You have to be careful to stay off the bass player's toes, though.
Geoff Noble

Post by Geoff Noble »

I have a Carter U12, here's the copedent,

http://www.steelguitar.com/sampleS12Tuning.html

As you can see, you can get the low D from either raising B via LKL or drop E via P6, I tend to use LKL for this.

I'm fairly newbie to the pedal steel, been learning for about 4 years now. Went universal a year ago from an GFI student S10. I'm really just starting now to look at the B6 side of things but have tried a few C6 tunes from TAB and liked the sound.

When I first got it my idea was to leave as is until I got to a point where I could make a decision whether to stick with the "standard" U12 tuning or to re-use the B6 pedals for other purposes.

I've just about concluded to keep as is and explore the B6 side of the instrument, great chords and the low strings sound great.

I bought mine in the UK for a reasonable price, I've seen quite a few on this site for sale at decent prices recently.
Will Cowell

Post by Will Cowell »

I'm with Geoff on this. The extra low notes of the Uni tuning offer so much scope. You can do pretty much any of the C6 type stuff on it. It doesn't take long to adapt to it if you've done C6 before. I'm very happy with my Williams.
Williams 700 series keyless U12,
Sierra keyless U14, Eezzee-Slide & BJS bars
Moth-eaten old Marshall 150 combo
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
John LeMaster

Nice classic S-12 extended E9th under $1500

Post by John LeMaster »

If you decide on extended E9th, you might consider:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=279491
Magnum D10, Emmons D10 push-pull
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hi, Travis, after many years on S and D 10s I went to U12 last year and only wish I'd done it 25 years ago. I have no problem adapting to the B-D on a lever when I need the D note… and the low strings are heaven, (although I have always played a lot of low pads stylistically, the lower stings might not be as appealing to someone who leans toward the higher registers for most playing.) There is so much more you can do with pads and backup playing, besides the whole C6 style thing.

I have a wonderful Carter U12 for sale fully loaded if you're looking.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Scott Appleton

u12 extended e9

Post by Scott Appleton »

I have 3 12 strings right now coming from a double 10 MSA and Sho Bud .. Ive tried both the u12 and EXe9 in 4 different coped's and the King tuning .. the hardest for me to adapt to was the Zane .. i still have one set up that way but my go to coped right now is the Mike Perowin uni. I keep my Emmons with standard uni but with the Jackson Mikes tuning .. seems to work both ways for me but i still tend to the MP its a little more friendly if you hit the 4 pedal accidentally .
Scott Appleton

12 string instruments

Post by Scott Appleton »

As for a brand .. well Sho Bud is a smooth easy player and needs adjustment actively .. Emmons Push pull are difficult to set up for some pulls .. Jackson is
foolproof .. Bmi Push pull is another difficult one to set up .. once running thought both Emmons and BMI stay solid .. Fessenden is solid but I'm not sure how many 12 strings he makes .. The MSA big cheese i have not tried but it looks fabulous .
It may be my next steel although i may go Lamar as well.
Last edited by Scott Appleton on 13 Feb 2015 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Kline! Stay in tune forever as far as the changer is considered. I played 5 to 7 nights a week with mine. The only time I had to make an adjustment at the changer was when I got a mis-labled string!
" The extra low notes of the Uni tuning offer so much scope."

This! I recorded with Neil Zaza because I could play string trio-like parts. Higher strings=violin, middle strings =viola, low strings=cello. Really nice for chording, and filling the rhythm frequencies when the lead player is soloing.
, the latter being the reason I switched, as those freqs just aren't there on a 10 string. But I found so much more as I experimented with it. Wish I'd started on one back in '72!
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Hal Braun

Post by Hal Braun »

Have a slot on Bill Rudolph's schedule. New Williams S12 ext E9 will be here in June.

Nuff said (well except for number of pedals, which finish, etc )

I did get telonics pickups to install in it..

Cannot wait..
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

My steels are all set up with the E9/B6 universal tuning, but I never use the B6 side. For me the great advantage of the tunung is the extra bass. My 12th string is tuned to low B, and I drop it down to A on the A pedal.

My apologies to everybody who has already seen this You Tube video, as I've posted the link a gazillion times before, but you can see how I use the bass strings, including the 12th string dropped to A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkSnoeTWR4I
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin