6 vs 8??

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Adam Tracksler

6 vs 8??

Post by Adam Tracksler »

I am having an existential dilemma about six strings verses eight string.

Is there very much realistically that I cannot do on six strings that I can do with eight strings. I know for a lot of the first string stuff I can do slants a little bit further up the neck and it requires a little bit more movement.

But is there really anything that I can't do on six that I can with eight?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Six string is OK when you just tune to a straight major tuning but when you go to a 6th or a 7th type tuning you limit the depth of scale with just 6 strings.
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

imo, it depends on the tuning you are playing
6 is fine for maj tunings and C6..which i feel is pretty complete at 6 strings.
A6 & 13 tunings are best with 8 string

of course there are things you can do with 8 strings you cant do with 6.....thats just the math
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Mat Rhodes

Post by Mat Rhodes »

Go with 8 strings, then take 2 off. Try to get the same voicings with 6 that you would with 8. When and if you're not satisfied with 6, put the extra 2 back on. You're welcome.
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

If you stick with the instrument for any length of time, after a while you will notice opportunities that make you think "I wish I could get that lick down here on the lower strings... or If I had that other note in this chord it would sound so much better.. etc.)

That is when you might start looking into another steel guitar with more strings.

You may decide to just live with the limitations of the instrument, there are many amazing players that just use a six string.

I have owned 6 string, 8, double neck 8, 10 string, double neck 10 and 12 string steel guitars, and believe me there will always be licks and chords that will remain out of reach.

You will eventually find a compromise that works for you and your musical preferences. Don't let the equipment hinder you from making the best sounds you can with any number of strings.

Dom
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Realistically, we are always going to spend a lot more time practicing than performing, and the eight strings give you more options of bass notes to practice against. If you're in a band situation where you're just looking to add some new tonal colors, you may not get down to the bottom notes on an eight, but I even prefer ten-strings because there's just more there there. And even in a band context, it's easier to play interesting rhythm guitar parts with a little more spread.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

START with 6, and learn the tuning well. Learn techniques: slants, slides, blocking, harmonics, and then try 8 strings if you want to. You'll realize that more is available on 8 strings. That's the problem though, for Beginners. Beginners don't need More. They need Less. The More will come later. Most players who switch over to 8 strings stick with 8. A few players, however, prefer the simplicity of 6 and decide to go back to 6.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I would say don't go to eight until you know what you want to use those additional strings for. I am one of those guys who went to 8 and then changed my mind. I found that I wasn't getting that much out of the additional 2 strings. And I found the string spacing on the 6 much more friendly. I use C6 tuning.
Amor vincit omnia
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

I recently traded for an 8 string Remington, which I love, however I find myself playing mostly on the six strings I have or playing six string arrangements in the middle of the 8 string. This could be partly due to the fact that most of the material I have is for 6 string.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Jamie Mitchell

Re: 6 vs 8??

Post by Jamie Mitchell »

Adam Tracksler wrote:I am having an exit stencil dilemma about six strings verses eight string.

Is there very much realistically that I cannot do on six strings that I can do with eight strings. I know for a lot of the first string stuff I can do slants a little bit further up the neck and it requires a little bit more movement.

But is there really anything that I can't do on six that I can with eight?
the more important question, exit stencily, is why even try at all?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Like Edward, I went to 8 for years then back to 6. I like the challenge and limitation of 6. Unless you want to play big chords, I find the only real limitation is mental.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Me? I like 7 stringers!
Rick Winfield

6 vs 8

Post by Rick Winfield »

I play a homemade 12 string,
but there is a lot that can be done with a 6 string.
Low to high C E G A C E
FOR an 8, I would use Low TO High F A C E G A C E,
Others may prefer Low to High A C E G A C E G
But sometimes that high G is too whiny :\
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

IMHO, most 6 string tunings are embedded in 8 string tunings, so, as mentioned above ,start with a 6 string and progress to an 8. Example - C6

G G
E E E
C C C
A A A
G G G
E E E
C C
Bb Bb
G or C
etc.
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Jack Aldrich wrote:IMHO, most 6 string tunings are embedded in 8 string tunings, so, as mentioned above ,start with a 6 string and progress to an 8. Example - C6

G G
E E E
C C C
A A A
G G G
E E E
C C
Bb Bb
G or C
etc.
Well, that was a mess! I'll try another way (if I can figure it out!).
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

I am not a particularly advanced player but I do play 8 strings (C6 & A6) and love them. However, I tend to practice a lot on 6 string and this influences my 8 string playing.

My practice exercises are largely driven by Greg Cutshaw's superb collection and Doug Beaumier's speed picking workout, all tabbed for 6 string using C6 or C6/A7 tunings.

These exercises have changed the way I play an 8 string and I tend to use the high G (on C6) only for "bluesy" effects in solos. I would definitely miss the low A (on C6) as it is great for deep moody minors and if, like me, you switch position to play the blues scale - meaning three frets up from the "normal" position.

In this day and age we are spoiled for choice. If in doubt, then apply the K.I.S.S. principle!

\ paul