My Fender Custom T-8 repairs.

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dick Chapple Sr

My Fender Custom T-8 repairs.

Post by Dick Chapple Sr »

Yesterday I took the T-8 all apart.
Could someone confirm that the black wire is indeed soldered to the bottom of the pot located closest to the toggle switch? That seems to be the only place I can find where the black wire came off as I lifted up the guitar pot plate.

Who does rebuilds on the tuning trays and keys?
The low bass tuning key was replaced with a cheapie and it is stripped. I'd like to get it repaired as best it can be. Does anyone have a tray in bad shape with at least one good lollipop tuning key left on it they would sell?

And I would like to find a Fender decal for the front of the guitar.

Thanks for any help and Happy New Year.
Dick :D :D
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

You could always put your name on the front of the guitar instead of a Fender decal :)
Dick Chapple Sr

Name

That's true Jeff and by the way your Red Fender sure turned out sharp.
Dick
Gary Rue

tuner heads

Post by Gary Rue »

Just fixed a 53 tuner head but it had the slots in the tray. I was lucky to have the same tuners in my junk drawer. The worm gear fit into a u shaped slot on the gear box which also made it easier. Yours are more difficult. You have to reverse the way the factory installed them.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I just fixed one of those tuners for a Stringmaster. Removing the knob is tricky, but still better than hacking a slot in the pan.
Dick Chapple Sr

tuner on T-8

Thankfully I found the correct original tuner for this pan. In fact I have everything to bring it up to snuff with exception of a case.

I started stripping the paint, first in the body cavities. The paint is coming off very easily. I haven't uncovered a date yet.
This body is walnut.
Ronald Lee White

Fender T-8

Post by Ronald Lee White »

I have a very similar T-8 Professional and I need a worm gear for a tuner on one of the tuning pans. I found a matching round gear on the end of the string shaft, but the worm gear on the tuner shaft is worn out and will occasionally slip into the next worm gear slot. Do you have any idea where I can find a matching work gear?

Thanks for any leads.

Ron
Dave Mayes

Post by Dave Mayes »

Ronald,

I found this on eBay:

type "vintage '30s kluson pre-war patent applied for guitar tuner set".

I'm 99% certain these are a match. A bit pricy, but just cut off what you need and lead solder the entire tuner in place. You'll need to solder the tuner button on the new tuner.

I've never done this myself....my disclaimer!

Hope this helps.
Hal Braun

Post by Hal Braun »

Just a caution.. you have to be really careful when you heat up that plate to solder the tuner.. it will heat up and melt the solder to the other tuners..
Dick Chapple Sr

T-8 repairs

Thanks Hal, that was my first concern. I have a neighbor gifted in this type of work who will braze the new tuner on for me.
I figured out that this tuning pan with a bad 8th string tuner and has four holes drilled out for rigging up pedals was actually on the near neck to begin with, then was moved to the far neck, probably after the tuner stripped. As I examine the body, I see that someone very carefully plugged the four holes that were in the body with decent wood plugs and were perfectly fitted in.
Dick Chapple Sr

Fender custom T-8

I stripped and put a clearcoat on this guitar. There was virtually no original coat left and wow what beautiful wood, it deserves to be seen. Tuner was repaired with a correct original, new Fender logo put on, I put the repaired tuning pan/tuners back to the near neck where it belongs. this tuning pan had 4 holes drilled in it for pedals. I did not plug up the 4 holes in the body. They don't look bad at all and it is part of the history of this guitar. Now to find a case.
I am just real happy with this find.

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Taking this down to the wood and showing it off is beautiful.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Nice job Dick! ... now she is ready for a few more decades of making people smile :)
Bill Quinn

Post by Bill Quinn »

Dick great job that is sweet!
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I love seeing these old workhorses get a new lease on life.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Johnie King

Fender

Post by Johnie King »

Wow that wood is beatiful great restoration.
Russ Cudney

Post by Russ Cudney »

Looks spiffier than 3 kittens in a red wagon. Nice job!
1958 D8 Stringmaster, 1958 T8 Stringmaster, 1955 Q8 Stringmaster (in basket), 1949 Gibson BR9, 1953 Silvertone, 1957 Harmony H4 (yeah the cool black pearloid one), 1947 National Princess, 1969 Shobud S10 3X1
Dick Chapple Sr

Fender custom T-8

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It is just so much fun to play too. so far the only thing that gets in the way of playing is the location of the 3 position switch and toggle on these old customs. I bump into them with my wrist and arm as I play up on the second octave on the middle neck. even if the two switches could have been not so tall that would have been nice. I have E13th on the near neck, C13th with E on 1st (Abbott & Costello's who's on 1st) on the middle neck and C6th with G on 1st on the far neck which I can quickly tune to E9th or A6th. :D :D :D
Dick
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

Dick, can you tell me where you go to get fender decals? I can't find any.
Dick Chapple Sr

Decals

Good evening Jack.
I sent you a PM.
Dick