Volume pedal for lap steel guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Post by Hans Henrik Rasmussen »

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

@Paul Seager - I had pretty much settled on the Ernie Ball EB6180 VP-JR, but reading your post, I've gotten concerned that I might miss the option to set a minimum volume level as you mention. As far as I understand this would allow me to use the pedal at lower volume which is something that I would find very, very useful since we often practise at a pretty low volume - have I understood this right?

Also, I read a review that said that players with rather large feet might find the EB6180 a little small and this might also be of concern to me...

I'm thinking this one might be something like your, Paul:http://www.thomann.de/dk/morley_m2_wah_volume.htm - that one would allow me to set a minimum volume, right? I would like it to be passive, though...

So, the Boss that Roman suggest might also be something: http://www.thomann.de/dk/boss_fv500h.htm - has anyone else any experience with this model?

Thanks again,
Hans
Last edited by Hans Henrik Rasmussen on 10 Jan 2015 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tabs for songs by Kelly Joe Phelps and other artists at my website: www.hhrasmussen.dk/music
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I'm not you, but if I were, I would seek out a classic vintage Sho-Bud VP.

Easy to service, and it will hold its value. If you decide you don't like it, you will always be able to sell it. Somebody will buy it because they were built like a brick you-know-what house, and they seemingly will last forever.

Watch the ads on the Forum, as they frequently are listed here.
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

No love for the old Fender vol/tone pedals? Has been my preference for lapsteel. I also have a Goodrich, but usually reach for the Fender. And, having the foot-actuated tone control as well is pretty cool.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

Hans Henrik Rasmussen wrote: As far as I understand this would allow me to use the pedal at lower volume which is something that I would find very, very useful since we often practise at a pretty low volume - have I understood this right?

Also, I read a review that said that players with rather large feet might find the EB6180 a little small and this might also be of concern to me...

I'm thinking this one might be something like your, Paul:http://www.thomann.de/dk/morley_m2_wah_volume.htm - that one would allow me to set a minimum volume, right? I would like it to be passive, though...
So to the first question, YES. I find it helps and it also takes a lot of worry out pulling too far back when playing in a band. I set mine so I can just hear the guitar when pulled back.

Can't really comment on the feet -- I'm a Euro-size 45 if that helps!

The Thomann link you added is to the Wah-Volumne pedal which I do not believe has the minimum volume control. If the Morley is out of production I am sure there are others on the market.

The Morley is active because it doesn't have a pot but uses a beam instead (similar concept to the beloved Hilton).

Have fun testing them all :)
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Hi again,

So, I ended up buying the Boss FV-500H volume pedal since it has the minimum volume knob. One thing I've started to notice, though, is that I can't really use the knob for that much since I have to set the minimum level to silent in order to really get those swells going - is this right or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks,
Hans
Tabs for songs by Kelly Joe Phelps and other artists at my website: www.hhrasmussen.dk/music
James Honberger

Stand Up?

Post by James Honberger »

Does anyone play standing ala Jerry Douglas? That would solve the knee-in-the-way problem. I have tried it once and it felt awkward.
JH
Founder and CEO of The National Council of Stragglers
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

Hans Henrik,
can you describe your problem in more detail? I use the Boss for swells, and don't have the minimum volume set to silent, works fine for me - usually I have it set to about a quarter rotation from silent. Of course, if you set the minimum volume too high, you won't have a lot of room for swells...
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Hi Roman,

It's a feeling that I'm not quite getting enough "difference" in volume when it's not set at silent. Also, I read somewhere that you need to strike the string at silent and then "turn up the volume" only when you've started sliding for the right effect. Don't know if this is right, but it sort of felt right when I did it...

But I probably did have the knob set to more than a quarter volume so that may help explain it.

Thanks,
Hans