Colors of amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Palmer

Colors of amps

Post by Tony Palmer »

Peavey had a very cool custom tolex (or whatever they use) covered 112 on display at ISGC about ten years ago or whenever they were first introduced. I don't remember exactly how it looked....might have been cobalt blue or something really striking.
So my question is why are virtually all amps still covered in black?
Has anyone recovered their amp in anything other than black or tweed?
(Rick Johnson feel free to chime in!)
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I'm partial to red. I built these cabs for an Evans amp I had a few years ago.

Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Frank De Vincenzo

Post by Frank De Vincenzo »

The most beautiful amp I ever saw was a late '90's Fender ProSonic done up in sea foam green snake skin. And to add to your thread Tony, many amp manufactures offer colors other than traditional black.

Last edited by Frank De Vincenzo on 6 Jan 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JusticeJudge
Bill L. Wilson

The Old Fender Amps Look Cool.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I split my Twin Reverb into two Cabs. and covered them in the smooth blond tolex, with oxblood grill cloth. Now I've got a friend who wants me to build him two matching blond Bassman heads and 212 Cabs. Looks like I'm gonna be busy when the weather warms up.
Jimmy Gibson

My Amp

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

Here`s my rare TWEED Fender Stage 100 loaded with a 4 ohm Black Widow Speaker, absolutely awesome sounding amp..

Jimmy
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I recall very vaguely hearing something about Music Man doing a few amps in white Cobra vinyl,and I've seen Fender Twin-Reverb and Vibrolux Reverb RI's done in 1963-style smooth blonde/wheat.I haven't redone any of my own amps,but I'm partial to blonde/oxblood and every so often I think about regrilling my 12/62 Tremolux(pictured) to look like the first one I had(also pictured)

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Here's a couple of other cabinets I built, a natural wood for a Peavey Special 130, and a tweed for a Session 400.

Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

Orange Amps

Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

Webb Amps use to have a Blue color amp
Bob Lawrence

Webb Amps

Post by Bob Lawrence »

Bob Lawrence

Little Walter

Post by Bob Lawrence »

· Available in Tweed, Tolex and Various Hardwoods ·

Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

How about home made patriotic?

Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Wow nice examples! No question the tweed is most appropriately classic and richest looking ;)
I guess I was thinking it would be very cool to have my NV112 match my teal green Sierra.
There's so many options for so many products today it seems strange mfrs don't offer the same amp in several color choices. And of course that makes even more sense for guitar players....flashy killer looking six strings with plain Model T black amp!
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Frank De Vincenzo

Post by Frank De Vincenzo »

Tony, MojoTone can recover your amp and replace the grill cloth in a ton of different colors and textures. I couldnt believe it when I saw the selection. I'm sure there are other shops that perform this service as well.
JusticeJudge
Mark Fowler

Post by Mark Fowler »

You asked why amps were black color. To blend in with the back ground of the stage.

I once got chewed out by a bandmate for bringing a Tweed Fender amp to the gig because it didn't blend in with the rest of the black gear.

I like blue and red tolex myself but also have some with buckskin suede which is durable and looks good.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Prettiest ever for me was the dark blue checked vinyl that Ampeg originally used in the '60s:

George Kimery

Amp Colors

Post by George Kimery »

Amps and all other stage gear should be black in color for one simple reason: Black doesn't draw attention away from the steel, singer, or other band members. My profession is building illusions and magicians props. The principle used is, anything you want the audience to notice, make it a bright color. Anything that you don't want them to notice, make it black. It just makes for a better stage setting if all the gear "goes away" when the lights are lowered. You don't want to take attention away from the singer with bright colored equipment. If you want the band to "go away" everybody dress in black, except the "star". Think about it: Why would you want the audience to notice and admire your amp?
Donny Hinson

Re: Amp Colors

Post by Donny Hinson »

George Kimery wrote:If you want the band to "go away" everybody dress in black, except the "star". Think about it: Why would you want the audience to notice and admire your amp?
Well, if you want the band to go away, just start requesting rap music or polkas. :lol:

And, as to why you'd want the audience to notice and admire your amp, I can think of a few reasons:

You overpaid for it.
You play a cheap guitar.
You think it sounds better than a black solid state amp.
You built it yourself.
You can't play very well.

I'm sure there are more.
:P
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Hey Tony:

Here is an amp with a BITE! I wanted something different as my amp farm has many of the standard variety.

Also, I had a cab made for a Fox Vintage amp with two 12 inch speakers. Fire Engine Red!

Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Leave it to Lenny! I should have known you'd be one step ahead of me....you always are ;)
Both look great!
As for blending into the background tell that to the rockers with outlandish equipment.
My thoughts are that today, people have more interest in a show that fills all the senses....visual included.
Frank thanks for the Mojotone suggestion...that might be just the ticket.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Okay so here's a photoshop I did with an iPhone app to see what my NV112 would look like in a teal color. I used my finger to drag the color so its rough but gives an idea:

Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Mark Fowler wrote: I once got chewed out by a bandmate for bringing a Tweed Fender amp to the gig because it didn't blend in with the rest of the black gear.
A lot of Tweeds got 'blackwashed' for that reason.

I've fallen in love with Orange... Orange amp/speaker, orange Harley dresser... almost got the new Princeton Reverb when it came out in Dreamsicle (orange/cream). Any more, the backline is part of the show too.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

The snake skin Deluxe is an eye catcher and the fire engine red Fox amp really pops out. A fun way to make a statement with your gear.... 8)
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

I'm loving this post !
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Me too!