Gimmicks and Gadges.............

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I remember when your amp had to compete with that new fangeled Bogen "50" WATT P. A. and Sure mic.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Post by Kevin Lichtsinn »

I am a crappy psg player. When I start playing decent I might buy a gadget. I doubt a gadget will help my hands and brain any get their $%^& together!
Ray Montee

Alvino............what an innovator!

Post by Ray Montee »

Would you call his antics 'burlesquing the steel guitar"? JERRY BYRD stated he'd NEVER do that......

By the way, notice his 'bar slams'? Like Speedy West and no indication of an electronic magic button that is a cut-of switch.???????? :eek:

I really do wonder if the new comers are seeking out and/or anticipating that some 'new device' will end all of their misery and suffering that can only be eliminated thro' serious and repetitious practice???
David Hartley

Hi Ray.

Post by David Hartley »

Bar slants, I love them. I'm just learning a few after 40 years of, well, hard practicing at first. If there's a gadget or gizmo that will end any learning, (not that it's painful), put me down for one. Maybe 2, in case the first one breaks down. Magic button? Yeh, bring it on!
I'll have two of them, whatever they do...

This is a good thread.

Hoping you're OK too..

Is there a gadget to read my thoughts rather than talking or typing this text? I need two..

:D
Rick Schacter

Re: Alvino............what an innovator!

Post by Rick Schacter »

Ray Montee wrote:
I really do wonder if the new comers are seeking out and/or anticipating that some 'new device' will end all of their misery and suffering that can only be eliminated thro' serious and repetitious practice???
There are many new comers who are very dedicated to becoming the best musicians that they could possibly be.
They definitely understand that becoming a great musician requires practice.

These so called "gadgets" DO NOT mask poor musicianship.
In fact, I've noticed that in the case of an overdrive unit, it will amplify any sloppy playing that needs to be addressed through practice.
Part of being a good musician is knowing when and when not to use certain effects.

Also, as I pointed out in my previous post, these gadgets aren't new.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

The best gadget is a multi-channel recording machine. By recording yourself playing you can hear how it sounds to others, and, if you don't like the recording, you can go back and record it again, and again, and again, and again, until you get it right or give it up and move onto something else. :D
Rick Schacter

Post by Rick Schacter »

Alan Brookes wrote:The best gadget is a multi-channel recording machine.
Which was indeed invented by Les Paul...as well as the solid body electric guitar (The Log).
Tommy Everette

Re: Gimmicks and Gadges.............

Post by Tommy Everette »

Ray Montee wrote: What do you think about this point?
I like steel to sound like steel.
Less is more.
Steel + Volume Pedal + Amp = Reality
Kevin Lichtsinn

Alan Brookes wrote:The best gadget is a multi-channel recording machine. By recording yourself playing you can hear how it sounds to others, and, if you don't like the recording, you can go back and record it again, and again, and again, and again, until you get it right or give it up and move onto something else. :D
I have recorded my playing......and I sounded worse than I first thought. :lol: A recorder of some kind is a good gadget and very useful tool.
Kevin Lichtsinn

Re: Gimmicks and Gadges.............

Tommy Everette wrote:
Ray Montee wrote: What do you think about this point?
I like steel to sound like steel.
Less is more.
Steel + Volume Pedal + Amp = Reality
Amen :D
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It's not only the players who often want something new and different, it's the listeners. You can't preach about musicianship alone, and overlook the variety and showmanship aspects...with any type of music. Music changes, styles change, and new audiences and artists want something different to identify with. This is why we steelers added pedals and levers, and the straight guitar bunch added dozens of different stomp box effects.
Rick Schacter

Post by Rick Schacter »

Here's a guy that I admire.
Which one of you gadget hating gentlemen would like to be the first to knock him?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3wIgTm2DnPg

And here's a beautiful steel guitar played by Tom Brumley.
This track would not have as much impact without the chorus effect, IMO.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vMW4I2hSyHE
Last edited by Rick Schacter on 30 Dec 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Schacter

Post by Rick Schacter »

Double post
Last edited by Rick Schacter on 30 Dec 2014 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

Hey Barry.
Thanks for the clip of Alvino Rey. He does demonstrate some great playing, bar slams, talk box singing and use of tone control for all to see and hear but I gotta say the animated puppet "Stringy" is kind of creepy IMHO.

I don't think I would be comfortable sharing a bandstand with "Stringy" acting out next to me especially if he was getting a cut of the gig money. I guess Alvino didn't have to worry about his drinking or showing up late for the gig.

Was "Stringy" a regular on Alvino's shows?
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
Stephen Gambrell

Re: Alvino............what an innovator!

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Ray Montee wrote:Would you call his antics 'burlesquing the steel guitar"? JERRY BYRD stated he'd NEVER do that......
Jerry Byrd might NEVER do that--But I wonder what he'd think about Buddy Emmons doing "Canon in D," with all those delays? A lot of players use chorus, flangers, phasers...

It's different now, than in Jerry Byrd's day. Why not learn something new? In Jerry Byrd's day, if you wanted delay, you took a big ol' Echoplex along. Now? Now you can buy a delay pedal for a lot less than the cost of an Echoplex.

Nobody played like Jerry. Nobody. But your post suggests that Jerry was the only way to fly. I imagine that Jerry would use effects, in a very musical way. Wouldn't you agree?
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Buddy Emmons, "Once Upon A Time In The West" Which do you prefer? With or without the "Ebow" gimmick? I vote with. Julian Tharpe, "Lonely Street" With or with out the phase shifter gimmick? I vote with. And these are not new players, with new gimmicks. Just tasteful masters of the steel guitar. Is my DD3 a gimmick? What worries me, is electronics, and computers putting us all out of work. An ebow? I wouldn't say it's the end of pedal steel as we know it. Jeff Newman told me once, that when it comes to steel guitar, there are no gimmicks, and the only thing that will hold back creativity, is your own imagination. The man was a genius, and right. That's why Robert Randolph is such a hot commodity for steel guitar, creativity. I would think, that we should be worrying about the future of pedal steel. And like it or not, players like Robert....ARE the future of steel guitar. The highest paid steel guitarist, and I encourage the youth, to put down the six string, pick up a new Williams, and go for it..... Yup, just like Robert. Not a big fan of RR, but, if it keeps things going....I'm all for it. :D
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Wouldn't it be a boring World if every bird sang the same tune? I think it is kind of sad when musician's become obsessed with sounding like someone else. Is there something wrong with them developing their own sound? It might be similar or it might be different. Does it matter what tools the artist uses? And where do you buy those gimmicks? I always wanted one! :) :) :)
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Was "Stringy" a regular on Alvino's shows?
I really don't know. He might have been too creepy.. ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvino_Rey