Sadly Dawn Sears has passed away, 12/11/2014 UPDATE on servi

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ron Whitworth

Sadly Dawn Sears has passed away, 12/11/2014 UPDATE on servi

Post by Ron Whitworth »

I know she was not a steel player but she was loved by many - I just saw this posted on Facebook so I will copy & paste this here >

From Dawn Sears daughter Tess:
The best mother In the world, Dawn Marie Sears left this world and entered another at 9:00 pm sharp 12/11/2014
we thank you for all the prayers you have sent up for her and all that you will send soon.
All I ask as her family is that you give me and my father Kenny some alone time and peace to gather ourselves.
She now rests in peace and comfort knowing we will all be ok.

Our thoughts & prayers go out to Kenny, Tess & all of their families.
Ron

********* See my update on Dawn's services page 4 ****** Thanks .. Ron
Last edited by Ron Whitworth on 19 Dec 2014 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

My condolences to all her family, friends, fans, and band mates. She was one of the special ones.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Very sad to hear of Dawn passing,She bore Her illness so well and fought bravely.
Rest in peace dear lady.
Condolences to Kenny,Tess and the Family
Billy
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Please allow me to start with the fact that I am a huge fan of Dawn Sears'. So talented and what a sweet person. Years ago, at a Time Jumpers' show at the Station Inn, I asked Dawn if she could sing Sweet Memories. I told her that it was my wife Mary's birthday and she was back at home in Illinois. Dawn gave me a big hug and said that was for Mary and to give her a big hug from Dawn when I got home. She then sang her usual fantastic rendition of Sweet Memories.

Dawn's family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

So sad to hear - she was one of the great ones.

Only fifty three years old - what a tragedy.

Heartfelt condolences to Kenny and her family, and to all her bandmates, too.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ted Tonjes

My condolences to the family

Post by Ted Tonjes »

I'm so sad to hear this. She was such a great singer. One of the few singers that could bring tears to my eyes, especially when she sang Sweet Memories.
I had the privilege to hear and see her perform a few times on Monday night in the Station Inn.
My condolences to Kenny, Tess and the rest of the family.
Last edited by Ted Tonjes on 12 Dec 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons LeGrande 8/5 D10 SKH - Mullen G2 8/8 - Nashville 112 - Hilton Pedal- Revelation Tube Pre Amp - ISP Stealth power amp - Lexicon MX300- BJS & Hillman Tone Bars
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Very sorry to hear about this.
If you watch the YouTube video of her doing "Sweet Memories" with the Time Jumpers, you'll be seeing the best there is, and maybe ever was.
My condolences to her family, loved ones, friends and fans.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Try watching this without a tear - especially today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fi-BhsKOMA
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

We knew it was coming, but so sorry to hear the news. Our prayers to Kenny and the family.

Billy and Meriul Easton
Billy & Meriul Easton
Nashville, TN
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

I heard the sad news earlier.
Roger I just got through watching that video and I need tissues.
Bet she's already singing with Papa John in the Angel Band
Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers »

This is horrible news!Another wonderful singer and lady gone home to be with our Lord Jesus
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Saddened to hear of Dawns passing, she was one of my two favourite singers, one of the greats of Country.My sincere condolences to her family and friends.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Ron Sodos

I am so saddened by her passing.

Post by Ron Sodos »

She was my absolute favorite singer. She could make me tear up every time I heard her sing Sweet Memories.
I never met her but I will miss her so !
Wayne Franco

So terribly sad

Post by Wayne Franco »

She will be missed by everyone.
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

Some people are singers. A very select few are artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cixiEyfeJSg

RIP, you lovely lady.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

She brought me to tears every time I saw her at 3rd and Lindsley. She was so deeply in tune with the soul of country music, every note came from the deepest well of feeling, truly awe inspiring. Condolences to her friends and family...RIP
Stoney Stonecipher

dawn sears

Post by Stoney Stonecipher »

Such a tragic loss to the music family. The Time Jumpers will never be the same. The band is superlative, but can not sustain such a loss and not make a difference in the music production.. Another great voice will no doubt take her spot, but will not be able to 'Replace' that beautiful song delivery that never once failed her. My Prayers go up for Kenny and Tess at this very sorryful time. May GOD give them both the peace that Dawn now enjoys
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

One of the best voices ever...Sad day for all who loved and admired her.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts to her family and friends and fans and she had many.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
George Kimery

Sadly Dawn Sears has passed away...last night.

Post by George Kimery »

I was such a hugh fan of Dawn's. I was at the Time Jumpers in Nashville in Sept. and the first thing I asked Kenny was if Dawn was going to be singing. He said, unfortunately not. I was looking forward to hearing her as much as Paul Franklin (sorry Paul, but I have heard you live many times but had never heard Dawn live) So unfortunately, I didn't get to hear her in person and let her know what a big fan I was.

I knew she had been fighting for her life with the brain cancer, but I thought she was in remission. this comes as a real shock to me.

There has only been two singers in my whole life that after first hearing a song by them, I immediately went out to buy their album. Dawn was one of them and Marsha Thornton was the other.

This just makes me feel so sad. My favorite female singer is now gone along with my favorite male singer, Ray Price.

Condolences to Kenny and Tess. I know she will be missed.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

This is devastating news. When I got my DVD of the Time Jumpers I watched it right through until I reached "Sweet Memories"...and I had to watch and listen to that one several times before I could move on, just completely blown away by the feeling and soulfulness of that song and how Dawn "owned" it. (John Hughey's break also had me mesmerised). A voice with so much feeling, control and sheer "heart", you knew she was one very special lady.

To Dawn's family, friends and relatives, and her legion of fans, I send my most heartfelt condolences. This is a terrible loss.

Her music will be her imperishable legacy. As she was here on earth, she's in good company in the great hereafter now.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

Although I never got to meet her I have her album, and her version of "No Relief In Sight" brought me to tears. One of the greatest country singers of all time. Deepest condolences to her family. RIP Ms. Sears. You were a beautiful lady with a beautiful voice. I will miss you.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I am so sorry that Dawn has passed. She was one of the best there was. I have been dropping tears all morning and listening over and over to "Sweet Memories" and "If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong, Do It Right".
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Here is a GREAT article that was written about Dawn today - this could not have been said an better IMHO take a minute to read it please >

http://peterrodman.blogspot.com/2014/12 ... eauty.html
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.