Headstock/Tuners behind "bridge"

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeff Melvin

Headstock/Tuners behind "bridge"

Post by Jeff Melvin »

Hi all. I'm new here, what an incredible forum you've got!

I'm a reso player beginning to learn steel. I'm a one handed (missing left hand) player. I know in the past I've seen steels, probably custom made, which had the tuners mounted on the right, behind the picking hand. The "bridge" is reversed and in the position of the nut. This setup would be very convenient for me, I've actually tweaked my back twisting to tune up. Has anyone ever had a guitar like this in production? Any custom builders doing that? Thanks everybody.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

it would be no problem to make a guitar like that.
W. Johnson

Re: Headstock/Tuners behind

Post by W. Johnson »

Jeff Melvin wrote:Hi all. I'm new here, what an incredible forum you've got!

I'm a reso player beginning to learn steel. I'm a one handed (missing left hand) player. I know in the past I've seen steels, probably custom made, which had the tuners mounted on the right, behind the picking hand. The "bridge" is reversed and in the position of the nut. This setup would be very convenient for me, I've actually tweaked my back twisting to tune up. Has anyone ever had a guitar like this in production? Any custom builders doing that? Thanks everybody.
Does not seem like it would be too difficult to to build a guitar as you suggest. Would definitely be unique.

How do you hold the tone bar?

Wayne
I am on Facebook as Innovative Guitars. Photos of all my work in photo album. I no longer make lap steels, but still make tone bars.
Jeff Melvin

Post by Jeff Melvin »

This is the rig I've used on resonators for a number of years. I'm working on a new prototype for one with which I can use interchangeable bars without having to unstrap an put on a whole new rig.

And obviously part of my "trademark" sound is resonant ghosting behind the bar because I can't mute back there. Not a big deal for me though.
W. Johnson

Post by W. Johnson »

Jeff Melvin wrote:Image

This is the rig I've used on resonators for a number of years. I'm working on a new prototype for one with which I can use interchangeable bars without having to unstrap an put on a whole new rig.

And obviously part of my "trademark" sound is resonant ghosting behind the bar because I can't mute back there. Not a big deal for me though.
Fascinating........ Innovative........

I also cannot block (mute) with my left hand, I can only palm block with my right (fingers are bent from arthritis). I find if I set the pickup lower from the strings, it's not so sensitive so it does not pick up the other ghosting stings as much, or movement of the bar on the strings. It's tricky to keep the other stings from 'ghosting'. I also only use a flat pick at this time, until I make some finger picks that will actually stay on my fingers.

Wayne
I am on Facebook as Innovative Guitars. Photos of all my work in photo album. I no longer make lap steels, but still make tone bars.
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IrSq1rOoL4

This fellow had the same difficulty.
Fred Layman

Left Hand Help

Post by Fred Layman »

You are on the right track by devising a means to install a bar in a pouch holding device. A famous Hawaiian player(Billy Hew Lin) that I saw in Honolulu several years ago had lost his left hand at the wrist and had devised a leather pouch that fitted over the wrist and had a steel bar attached to the under side of the pouch by which he played steel guitar professionally. So don't lose heart, it can be done, just hang in there.
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Ever heard of Billy Hew Len? Also I'm sure you could rig some kind of mute behind the bar :idea:
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Jeff Melvin

Post by Jeff Melvin »

Wow thanks everybody! I thought I was fairly familiar with most of the prominent one handed guitar players but I obviously missed one. Yes somehow I never discovered Billy Hew Len. I'll blame it on my approach to slide coming from country and bluegrass as opposed to Hawaiian. I could definitely mute with a rig like that, at least in barre situations. I need to see the tip of my slide during single string work so it has to stick out past the rest of the slide. I'd be interested in contacting his friends or family to see if they could get detailed pictures of one of his rigs, especially the inside. I wonder how the slide was attached to the sleeve and how it was supported to help maintain bar control. My stump is much larger and fairly blunt so I think I would need a more substantial sleeve to keep a firm grip on my arm. I may start another thread to inquire of friends and if they have his slides and if they'd be willing to share some detailed pictures...
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I just met a fellow online named Frank Posey who was faced with a similar challenge. He has several videos on YouTube as well.

Check him out. And good luck to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFSFhVSlm9g
George Piburn

Hudsonator

Post by George Piburn »

Jeff Melvin

Post by Jeff Melvin »

Frank Posey is a great player and a great guy. He helped me out immensely when I was first starting out. He even sent me one of his old slides and a video of him demonstrating technique. I wouldn't be where I am without him.
David Venzke

Re: Headstock/Tuners behind

Post by David Venzke »

Google is your friend. Do a search on "traveler guitar", then check out the images. Lots of stuff available with tuners behind the bridge.
Jeff Melvin wrote:Hi all. I'm new here, what an incredible forum you've got!

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i went to hawaii in the 80's and the only steel i ran into was billy hew lin. he was great!