Leg repair?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Glenn Shankle

Leg repair?

Post by Glenn Shankle »

I'm having a problem with the left front leg, pedal side, slipping. I know it's essentially a mic stand. I've taken it apart and cleaned it, but it still slips after a few hours. Are there any tricks y'all know of to make it grab again? Thought about robbing parts from a spare mic stand, but also thought I would ask here first.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Go to the Links bar up at the top.
Ruby and Don Burrows sell the clutch kits at VERY reasonable prices. And they didn't laugh when I had to order a second time when I lost my first order.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

As long as you don't need to adjust the height, just cut a piece of 5/8" wooden dowel to the right length and put it inside the outer tube.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

on my steels the pedal rack fits snugly between the clutch assembly and the rubber foot so the leg can't shorten anyway. so front legs shouldn't cause any problems. back legs are different since they do rely on the clutch to stay firm at any adjusted height.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had one of my rear legs slipping. I took it apart, cleaned it, widened the gap on the clutch piece (found that on one site), etc and it still slipped. On a whim I reversed the insert so a new point would contact the clutch. Surprisingly no more slipping on the leg.

This may not work on all, but worth a try.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Butch Mullen

Post by Butch Mullen »

I put a small hose clamp on the small part of the leg. No more slipping. Hope everybody had a happy Thanksgiving. Butch in NC
Bobby D. Jones

Leg Repair

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I had that problem with my MSA. Haul my steel set up, Lazy I Guess. I had problems with one of the legs slipping. I could not get the clutch to hold no matter what I done. I pulled the rubber foot off the leg, Inserted a dowel rod the size of the inside of the inter tube till it was solid against the thread insert at the top of the leg. Cut it off even with the bottom of the leg and put the rubber foot back on. It worked so good I put a dowel in the other 3 legs, Drilled the dowel rod for the bolts that hold the pedal bar on. I can still lengthen a back leg to get the steel solid on an uneven stage. That happened about 10 years ago, Still is working.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I have nothing against the dowel rod, but the replacement parts cost all of $4 per leg, and then they'll work as designed.
Glenn Shankle

Post by Glenn Shankle »

Thanks for the replies. All good suggestions.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Lane... Are those parts from Don? Didn't see them on his website. I have a leg that won't stay put, one on my guitar too. :lol: I have a non Carter leg on there now, but it doesn't really match the other three.

I should mention that I have tried the things mentioned above with no success.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Most all the cases I've seen where a leg was slipping were caused by someone taking the leg apart, and then putting it back together wrong, or someone "lubing" the assembly improperly. When they're "right", they don't need clamps, dowels, and they don't need to be scuffed up with a file or grinder (as I've seen some people do). :roll:
Richard Sinkler

I never took mine apart until after it started slipping. I took pictures of how it came apart and tried the things mentioned above. I also Googled how to fix a microphone stand clutch. Still not fixed. I'm also one of those that don't want to use dowels or clamps.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Leg surface under the clutch ring was too smooth & slippery so I made it rough with a coarse file and had no more slipping problems.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Yes, I got them from Don. If they're not on his website, email or call him. I have bought seven legs' worth from him. Because I needed four and lost three.
Richard Sinkler

Thanks Lane. I'll contact him this week.
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

A good quick, temporary fix is Rub on some skin prep, which can be found at pharmacys, or medical supply stores. They come in small packets, like alcohol preps. Extend the leg, and coat the small part of the leg with the stuff. It will dry almost instantly, and as long as you don't put excessive weight on your steel it will hold just fine(if the small part, and clutch are clean, and haven't been oiled.) I always carry a couple of the packets in my pac-a-seat. PS--Make sure you get "Skin Preps". Alcohol towelettes won't work. -Jake-