Great old NRPS live cut...

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

Great old NRPS live cut...

Post by Bob Carlucci »

You don't hear this one very often.."Crooked Judge" live . The studio version was on the Brujo album..
This is a long jam version of the song, and notice that the song never moves off the G chord, same as the studio cut.

Buddy Cage and David Nelson as always would play some disonant, discordant, off time licks followed quickly by some really cool stuff that will have you "rewinding" to get a better listen.. Loved this stuff back in the day and still do.. Enjoy this tune fellow New Riders fans... bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9MV6eTCX0M
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
David Rupert

Post by David Rupert »

Thanks for posting! Totally cool.
David "DJ" Rupert

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/
David Rupert

Ttt

Post by David Rupert »

T3

come on folks.....give Buddy some credit, where credit is due! This is some smokin' hot steel pickin!! Too many here, won't even say a thing.

I'm not saying he's the nicest person, all the time....but this kind of playing turned on an entire generation, to the Pedal Steel Guitar!!

He SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame, in St. Louis....along side Rusty Young, Bobby Black, etc. He deserves to be IN the HOF!! Just sayin.
David "DJ" Rupert

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Bernie Gonyea

Buddy Cage/NRPS

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :roll:

I agree with you, David. Buddy is a " Fantastic" Steel Guitarist .I loved these guys for a long time during their reign as " New Riders Of The Purple Sage ". They are in a class of their own; even if they were not strictly " Country "; If you loved Steel guitar; you had an admiration for Buddy's playin' Ability. Let some of you Pros bring to the Hall Of Fame's recognition of a gent whom opened the Category of Steel Guitar, in a grand way; to the field of Music. Thanks , David , for your Post..
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Paul Wade

buddy cage

Post by Paul Wade »

does anybody know if buddy is playing the dekley d-12
that he got back. would like to see some vids. of him playing it

p.w :)
Joe Thurman

Nrps

Post by Joe Thurman »

My love of the Pedal Steel came from this era in music. Buddy Cage, John David Call, Rusty Young, Sneaky Pete....hearing these guys enhancing the recordings of their respective groups caused me to take notice of this great instrument. Because of them I discovered a treasure trove of great musicians. Thanks for posting the link....
Josh Rossow

Post by Josh Rossow »

Nice, good picking in that one.
Dana Blodgett

Buddy cage in hof

Post by Dana Blodgett »

I agree also,He is a great player!
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Marc Muller

Post by Marc Muller »

Another great video from 73, just months after I saw them for the 1st time at Capitol Theater in Passaic. Jerry on a tele too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_avn_xAYUY
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

wow, cool video Marc.. thanks.. Jerry[RIP] playing a tele??.. Never saw that before!... Marmaduke [RIP}. sounded pretty awful on this video for some reason.. NRPS harmonies were always suspect, but right here, they are worse than usual.. Still, it was a great listen, and Buddy was pretty hot as usual... I adored these guys as a young man.. Home Home On the Road, was my favorite album for many years... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
David Rupert

Great stuff!!

Post by David Rupert »

I love this stuff!! Buddy's playing is awesome!

I archive a ton of music & concert videos. I save these great shows, to my computer & external hard drives. I make CD's & DVD's out of these performances. It took a long time for any live New Riders of the Purple Sage to show up on the internet, but they finally started surfacing a year or two ago. Now there's a ton of riders stuff out there. I'm happy!
David "DJ" Rupert

Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

At 1:02 there is an over the shoulder shot of Buddy.
look how he holds the bar - looks like he's got his thumb on the base of the bar and hardly holding the thing! Strange. love NRPS.
Thanks for posting Bob!
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.