Mel Tillis sideman...?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Per Kammersgaard

Mel Tillis sideman...?

Post by Per Kammersgaard »

I was listening to a Mel Tillis "Live from Gilley's" transcription today. It's from the mid 80's and Tillis didn't have a steel in his band - at least not at this show. He don't introduce the band, apart from one picker, who sings a couple of songs with him. And he only introduces him as "Julio" - kinda like a joke maybe, as he sings a line of "Too All the Girls I've Loved Before...." Anyone knows who this could be....?

PK
Richard Nelson

Post by Richard Nelson »

Try Steve Hinson ... he knows all this stuff
Eddy Dunlap

Post by Eddy Dunlap »

It was awesome guitar player, Jerry Lane Reid, who played with numerous artists like Barbra Mandrell, Mel Tillis, George Jones.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I believe it's the "late" Jerry Lane Reid...JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Joe Naylor

Tb

Post by Joe Naylor »

Check with Terry Bethel - I think he went to work for Tillis in the early or mid 70's he knows the history

Joe
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP