Is 1955 Fender Triple in rough shape worth $1k?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Williams

Is 1955 Fender Triple in rough shape worth $1k?

Post by Jim Williams »

I have stumbled across a 1955 or 56 stringmaster fairly close to me it is rough but complete and in working condition. It would need complete restoration and refinish. I will try and post a photo or two later. Some pretty bad wood damage in one place and lot of corrosion on tuning pans, etc. Would this likely be worth 1000 dollars ballpark?
Last edited by Jim Williams on 12 Nov 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

1 (not strictly speaking a Stringmaster), 2, 3 or 4 necks?
"Gopher, Everett?"
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Deluxe or StringMaster? StringMaster or Deluxe ?
That is the question!
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

For one in decent non-mint condition, typically it is about $700 per neck.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

no. not with damage and needing a complete restoration. a pro restoration will cost that much. and then you will have a restored guitar thats not worth what it cost. a non pro restoration will not raise the value of it at all.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

We need to see pictures, but "rough" condition with "bad wood damage" and "a lot of corrosion" doesn't sound good. Your plan is to restore it, so the total cost will be well over $1000, especially if you pay others to refinish it, reassemble it, etc. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a nice one for about $1300 or so. On the other hand, if you can do the work yourself and you enjoy that kind of work, go for it.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I posted about the same time as Bill, and we have the same basic idea. I'd pass on this Stringmaster and look for one in better condition for a few dollars more. It would be cheaper in the end and less headaches.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

I accidentally created a new thread instead of putting a reply here...here is the link to a few photos:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 24#2308324

I think I will pass on this unless I can get the price down a lot and maybe even then...I really don't have the room for a triple necker. This is located in North Alabama, if anyone is interested pm me and I'll send you some info. Asking price is actually $1300 but I figured it could be had for $1000. After some advice from Doug and others here though I don't think I would be interested for even that.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Another thing to remember is that those early steels have the lolly pop tuners that often break inside or strip gears. A neglected and rusty instrument will probably have funky tuners. Getting that repaired can be a pain and some money.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

A few months ago I saw one like that on Craigslist. It was in mint condition and asking price was $900. It was located in Florida.
By the time I stopped procrastinating and decided to buy it the listing had expired and I couldn't locate the seller :cry:
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

I just cringe when hear all this talk about re-fining and re-chroming. Even in rough (but playable) shape they are only original once....