Max Stuckey

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Don Sulesky

Max Stuckey

Post by Don Sulesky »

For those who have not heard we lost another dear friend and steel player member of our club on Wednesday the 29th, 2014.
Max Stuckey was a regular member and played several of our anniversary shows.
A very talented player…one of his favorites was playing a song he wrote for his wife called “Ellemax”.
He also liked to play “The Girl in the Glass”.
He will be sorely missed by us all.

If you would like to send his wife condolences you can write:

Mrs. Robert “Max” Stuckey
4365 Player Circle
Orlando, FL 32808-2213

Memorial Services will be held at Calvary Assembly of God, 1199 Clay St., Winter Park, FL 32789, on Wednesday, November 12, 2014, at 11:00 AM.
The family will receive friends to Celebrate Max's Life immediately following the service in the fellowship hall.
Please feel free to wear your "Western Wear" in memory of Max. Western hats are appropriate in the fellowship hall.
Last edited by Don Sulesky on 5 Nov 2014 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Don, thanks for making a separate post.

Max did as good a job on "Girl in the glass" than any I've heard.

He has and will be missed.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jack Dougherty

Post by Jack Dougherty »

Sad news indeed.....always enjoyed hearing Max play.....
JD
There is no such thing as too many steels!!
Emmons P/P 8/7 Strings....whatever I have.....Picks..mixed...Bars...one of four..but I like the Bullet Bar
Walker Stereo Steel Amp

TC M1 XL
Peavey Vegas Fox Mod
Various sundries and toys..
Skip Cole

Max Stuckey

Post by Skip Cole »

I bought a Lil Izzy from him long ago, and remember his friendly and pleasant conversation. Easy Guy to talk to. Then i ran into him at the Convention in ''05(??), same in person. May God comfort family and friends in at his passing.

Skip
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I spoke with Max earlier this year and I didn't know he was having medical problems.
Max will be missed by all of us. My prayers go out to his family.
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

I was surprised he left us so soon. I knew he was seriously ill, but I was hoping he had a little more time. Would've loved to have talked with him one more time. Will surely miss him and his frequent calls. God bless Ms. Eleanor and family.
J.R. Marlowe
Life has many choices. Eternity has TWO. I choose Heaven.
Black '95 Zumsteel SD10, 4+5;Black Mullen RP SD10, 4+5
NRA Life member
Charles Campbell

Max

Post by Charles Campbell »

I met Max for the first time at St. Louis steel convention, about 3 or 4 yrs ago. We had a wonderful time eating popcorn, talking and listening to steel. I also didn't know he was this close to passing, it was a real shock when James Marlowe sent a email yesterday to break the news. I will miss him, this is very sad. I will pray for the family and thank you Max for the good times......Charlie
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Too many of our generation are leaving us too fast now. I miss Max, altho we were not close, but as nice a guy as you ever want to meet. And a good steel player, too. He used to try to show me a lick or 2. ... :(
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

So sorry to hear about Max passing away. He and I talked on the phone about 7 months ago and he told me his Cancer had returned with a very discouraging prognosis. Max was a very dear friend and will be deeply missed by all of us. Below is a picture of Max, Bobby Schlegal and me that was taken at the Nashville Steel Guitar Show back in 2012. Both of them were two fine Steel Guitar players, and leave a hollow void in the Florida Steel Guitar Club membership. RIP Max!

Jimmy Youngblood

Post by Jimmy Youngblood »

Sorry to hear this bad news.
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

Sorry to hear the news. I enjoyed his playing. - DJ -
Fred Thompson

Post by Fred Thompson »

Will surely miss his playing, his humor, his friendship, but most of all, his presence ... RIP my friend..
The difference between a musician and a savings bond is eventually the bond will mature and earn money.
Reginald Diller

Post by Reginald Diller »

Thanks for posting the passing of my good friend Max Stuckey. He is one of our hometown boys from Waynesboro, Pa and a good friend. I good musician and singer and a great guy to boot. We will miss him here. Best wishes to Elanore and the family.
God Bless that family
Sincerely<
Reg Diller and family
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Max daughter Kim sent around another e-mail with obituary & Memorial services information. ...Go to www.baldwincremation.com click on the Obituary tab. ...One memorial here in Florida, and another later in Pa. ...
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Raymond Thiebault

Post by Raymond Thiebault »

Our deepest sympathy to Eleanor and family. Will miss Max and his wonderful playing at the FSGC meetings, and the time we have spent together. He was always a Happy-go-lucky guy that it was a pleasure to be around him. Till we meet again, rest in peace.
God bless and keep you safe Eleanor and family.
Ray & Claire
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

I'm shocked to hear this. Max and I emailed each other some months back, but he didn't indicate he was having any health problems. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Max helped me get started in playing the pedal steel. Years back, when I got out of the service, I would follow him wherever he was playing to see and watch him--thinking it would help me. After awhile, Max invited me over to his house with my guitar, and showed me stuff to play. Through the years, we would meet-up at various clubs, jam sessions, the St. Louis Convention, and local steel shows--where we would always be talking/discussing everything under the sun, involving the steel guitar.

I will always be thankful for his help and encouragement on playing the steel guitar, but most important--his friendship!
Jeffery Self

Post by Jeffery Self »

Max was known far and wide. He will be deeply missed by many. Prayers for the family in there time of loss!!
If it's a penny for your thoughts!!!
Why must everyone put in their two cents worth???

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)