Fender Vibrasonic or Peavey Nashville 1000??

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Zach Chastain

Fender Vibrasonic or Peavey Nashville 1000??

Post by Zach Chastain »

I have the opportunity to purchase a fender vibrasonic or a peavey nashville 1000. There is a price difference but I wanted to know what everyone thought of these 2 amps. I am mostly curious about the Fender. I haven't been able to find much on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you mean Vibrosonic, that's a Twin with a 15.
If your prospective amp says 135W instead of 85 or 100W, I'd recommend the Fender hands-down.
If loud clean is a major consideration, my 85W crunches a bit when pushed hard. If you either don't go LOUD, or you mic the amp, you'll never regret the Fender.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I've played various Peavey amps for decades; mostly Session 400s. I haven't used the Nashville 1000.

Just recently I bought a 1971 Twin Reverb with a single 15 JBL. Basically the same amp as the Vibrosonic.

I strongly prefer the Fender over the Peaveys.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Zach Chastain

Post by Zach Chastain »

This is it. It's custom vibrasonic I think.

Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I're read about the Custom Vibrasonic, but not used one. It's an amp from the 90s that has printed circuit boards. It's not a point to point wired amp. Most people prefer point to point wired amps because they are easier to service and repair.

The Custom Vibrosonic is well set up for anyone playing both a pedal steel and an electric guitar. It has an all tube signal path so should sound great. I would buy that over the Peavey if I had to choose without playing through both first.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Hamilton Barnard

Post by Hamilton Barnard »

I had a Custom Vibrasonic and it was a fine amp. It was another amp I stupidly sold.

My only gripe would be wanting a speaker that was fatter in the mids than the factory Eminence.
Harry Johansen

Post by Harry Johansen »

I would go for that Fender
George Kimery

Fender Vibrosonic vs. Peavey 1000

Post by George Kimery »

A no brainer. Go for the Fender. It is heavy, but you can help that by installing a neo speaker. If it were mine, I would put in a Telonics or Eminence EPS 15c in it. The Vibrosonic is heavy and as others have said, it is a Twin with a 15 inch speaker. This was the killer sounding amp that Dicky Overbey used. I don't see how you can go wrong. You can always sell it and get a 1000 later if you don't like it. 1000's are on the forum all the time. Vibrosonics are hard to find in good condition and at a good price. The big plus, IMHO, is you are going to a tube amp instead of a solid state. Tubes just sound better (subjective statement)
Zach Chastain

Post by Zach Chastain »

Well I've been playing through a peavey artist series tube with a black widow. It sounds good just cracks at high volume and I really like the sound of a 15 inch speaker. I've not played through a solid state amp yet that's why I'm curious about the Nashville.
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

Getting an 85 watt amp to crunch is pretty loud. You only have one set of ears :)

Our Tele player has a reissue Twin - sounds great, but we kinda had to get him to take it off 5 in favor of 3 or 4. He's miced, so we don't lose him.

I'm using a Blues Deluxe with a microphone stuck in it. It's also plenty loud, IMO. But sometimes the sound guy has to add quite a bit of gain.

I'd love to pop for a Twin, but I fear an arms race. And the BD is pretty nice; the EQ is in good places for steel & Telecaster.

So far, I'm able to make do with one earplug.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I would go with the 1000.
One amp is a bonafide steel amp with a solid rep. The other... basically never heard of it.
fwiw, I own a 70's Vibrosonic.
Zach Chastain

Post by Zach Chastain »

It's not maxed out the speaker is just going bad I think. It starts cracking around 4. But I'm going to go play through the fender and see how I like it.
Steve Spitz

Vibrasonic vs NV1000

Post by Steve Spitz »

I've owned both. Both were excellent steel amps.

The Custom Vibrasonic, while being a printed circuit board amp, was made in the US, and I never had any issues with the amp. Great amp for double duty as well. Reverb on both channels. I played baritone , and with the vibrato, it sounded really cool. I just had too many amps, so I sold it. I suspect Dickey had a Silverface Vibrosonic with a JBL, which is a bit different . Regardless, the Custom Vibrasonic was a solid amp for me.

I also liked my NV 1000. Like most peavey gear, problem free, and I thought it had a good sound. The effects loop would be a big plus. I traded it for a WEBB , but if you could find one for the right price, a good steel amp. I'm guessing a chip mod, and the same reverb mod ("Mod" tank) that folks are using on the 112s would warm things up on the 1000 as well.

Both amps have their merits. Do you want the tube vibe ? Tubes are cool, but they need to be replaced and biased occasionally. That's an expense. Some amp techs don't like to work on circuit board amps. The peavey will likely never need service , but if it does , it's fast and dirt cheap to send to peavey. The fender has vibrato, the peavey has the effects loop.

I wish I had them both back, but you can't keep them all.
Marty Holmes

Post by Marty Holmes »

I have owned every amp peavey made but always felt they sound a little sterile for my taste I actually have the silver and black faced vitro sonics both are phenomenal amps for guitar or steel.Chet Atkins cousin or nephew one played through my black face vitro sonicand tthe sound coming out of that amp was amazing for an 85 year old man play in a Gretchen country gentleman guitar just my 2 cents
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Ahh..I would use the Fender...I used a NV1000 for a while, not really liking the strong mids... way too strong for my taste...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Jim O. Underwood

Fender vs Peavey

Post by Jim O. Underwood »

I have a 69 Fender twin with 15" JBL D 130F. Speaker has been reconed and amp heavily serviced. Sounds great and while it is heavy, I play steel and lead through it and don't have to carry two amps. I haven't been able to find a better amp within my price range yet.....haven't tried milkman, quilter, or telonics.....
Zach Chastain

Post by Zach Chastain »

I played through it today and sounded great. I noticed it had the eminence speaker which is pretty good I believe. I'm probably going to go with the fender after playing it. I actually liked the guitar channel better than the steel.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Get the Fender and put a JBL in it.
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

Dave Grafe wrote:Get the Fender and put a JBL in it.
+1
Emmons/Sho~Bud/Blanton, Fender/Peavey.
Telonics pedal
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Fender is the best. Peavey is next. Just my opinion. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

There's a 1960 brown Tolex Vibrosonic in my local droolgear shop. He wants $2000. If someone says they'll kick B0b some money if they buy it, I'll give more info. I haven't played thru it.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Tom Cooper

Post by Tom Cooper »

If it was vibro vs session 400 then would be different story for me. I would go with Session 400. Vibro and Twins just too heavy. I don't care much about tubes anymore. Just need clean power. Don't care how I get it.
Scott Appleton

fender vs peavey

Post by Scott Appleton »

I've owned both as well as All the NV series amps .. i play through a Vibrasonic with the Eminance neo 15 .. I like it a lot ... I do have it Modded a bit to make it cleaner and less noisy .. shielded Resistors on the input and a bunch of other mods that cut Emf .. I also have it Profiled in my kemper which is what i will be using more and more these days because of its flexibility .. Love My Vibrasonic over just about any other amp ..