Where on Oahu?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Teresa White

Where on Oahu?

Post by Teresa White »

Where can you hear hawaiian steel guitar on the island of Oahu? My first two trips over, I got to hear Jerry Byrd at the Royal Hawaiian/Sheraton Waikiki Luau. Just wondering if you can still hear good hawaiian steel guitar anywhere.
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

HELLO TERESA,

Your Best Bet Is To Go To The HALEKALANI Hotel In The Evening 5---8:30 P.M. It Is Located At The End Of Lewers St. In Waikiki.

Come Join Us For The HSGA Convention On April 28,29 & 30, 2015. 8)

Roger
Teresa White

Post by Teresa White »

Is there a way to find out who is playing where, if we were to go at some point?
Larry Allen

hawaiian

Post by Larry Allen »

you will get responces from the steel without pedals section... :D Larry
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Alan Akaka Plays At The Mariott Hotel,in Waikiki Every Thursday 5:00 P.M.----9: P.M. Go Early For Good Seats.

The HSGA Website Used To Publish The Local Playing Schedules.???

Roger
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

I really like Jeff Au Hoy's steel playing. He plays with Cyril Pahinui (Gabby's son) at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Kani Ka Pila Grille on Wednesdays from 5:30-8:30. Here is his calendar with directions and any other events: http://www.cyrilpahinui.com/calendar/ht ... /calendar/
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Teresa White

Post by Teresa White »

Great! I'll try the non pedal section as well.
Thank you guys!
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Alan Akaka plays with the Keawe Ohana at the Moana Terrace, Waikiki Marriott on Thursday evenings. Jeff Au Hoy plays with Cyril Pahinui Wednesday evenings at the Kanikapila Grill at the Outrigger on the beach, Greg Sardinha is often at the Halekulani on Tuesday evenings. Derek Mau plays with the Ko'olau Serenaders one Friday a month (I believe it's the first Friday, but check - other weeks, its Led Kaapana). Bobby Ingano often sits in with George Kuo and company at the Moana Terrace Sunday afternoons. Isaac Akuna plays with a group Friday evenings at the stage on Kalakaua Avenue in front of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Several steelers sit in with the Keawe Ohana for the second set - Addison Ching, Melie Lyman, and me, when I'm on Oahu.
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8