Randy Sorrells - RIP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bill Ferguson

Randy Sorrells - RIP

Post by Bill Ferguson »

We lost our dear friend, fellow steeler and Georgia Steel Guitar Association Legend, Randy Sorrells (Montgomery Gentry Band) yesterday.

Please pray for this family. They have endured a lot of tragedy over the last years.

Gaylon Mathews

Post by Gaylon Mathews »

What an awesome talent and great friend Randy was. He will be missed.
Gaylon's Homepage
www.facebook.com/gaylonmathews

gaylonmathews@yahoo.com

Show Pro Steel Guitars, 2Ds Guitars, Peavey Electronics, Gallien Krueger MB Series Amps, GHS Strings, Rick Johnson Cabinets, D2F Covers, Eminence Double-T Speakers, Weber Speakers, Cedar Creek Cases.
Chubby Howard

Post by Chubby Howard »

Will miss him very very much, he was a great friend to me and my son Tony, I remember spending Thanksgiving and Christmas at his house with his family a few years back. I am very sad about this. i will miss you my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Godspeed Randy.

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Gene Still

Post by Gene Still »

My deepest condolences on the loss of Randy. I've been a friend of Randy's for many years. May you gain comfort from the many fond memories of Randy. My prayers go out to all the family R I P Randy
"If it's got steel, it's GOOD and I'm STILL steeling"
Tommy Dodd

Post by Tommy Dodd »

The following is the obituary posted locally for Randy:
Subject: Randy Sorrells Obituary
Date: Oct 1, 2014 4:47 PM
Randy Boyd Sorrells, 60

Passed Away: 09/27/2014

Randy Boyd Sorrells, age 60 of McMinville, Tennessee, passed away Monday, September 29, 2014. He is preceeded in death by his wife, Kathy Ballew.

Randy is survived by his loving daughter, Crystal Anthony and other loving relatives and friends.

Memorial services will be held Friday, October 3, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. in the Chapel of Ingram Funeral Home with Rev. Tom Stradley and Rev. Anthony Salyers officiating. Interment will follow in Bethany Church of Christ Cemetery in McMinnville, Tennessee on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. The family will receive friends at the Funeral Home on Friday, from 1:00 to 7:00 p.m.

Ingram Funeral Home & Crematory, Cumming, Georgia is in charge of arrangements.

Condolences may be made at www.ingramfuneralhome.com.
Randy was one of the first steel players I got to know when I first moved to Atlanta back in the late '70s. He was a monster player even back then but a super-likable, and very humble guy. He took over my chair in the house band at the big country music club in Kennesaw (Cowboys) in the early '90s and played there for 7 years before joining the Montgomery-Gentry group. We stayed in touch over the years. He truly loved his life in Nashville and on the road. I don't think I ever saw him when he wasn't smiling.

We're all gonna miss you my brother. R.I.P.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Many will deeply feel the loss of this sweet, humble, fun and greatly gifted player. For those who didn't know Randy personally, he was known even in his earlier career around Atlanta for an uncanny knowledge of and replication of Emmons' style. Walking into any club where he was playing you would be treated to a serious mix of classic beautiful phrasing and hot licks. I can hear him in my head right now... Randy was extremely friendly and accessible to other steel players, and as a younger player in town I was very grateful for his friendship and encouragement. He was a fixture at the famous Buckboard Country Music club in North Atlanta for a long while, and it was a destination stop for any visiting steelers who wanted a dose of "monster". While working there, he had an extremely serious auto accident that laid him up for some time, and I took his place there at the Buckboard, where I saw first hand the concern and care everyone he had worked with had for his recovery and well-being.

A very fine man, much respected and appreciated, who will be sorely missed.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

When I first saw Randy, he was playing steel for Montgomery Gentry on Kenny Chesney's tour in 2003, playing a beautiful '60s Emmons guitar. Then, in 2008, I had the opportunity to meet him at one of the GaSGA shows. I'll never forget that meeting with Randy. What a great player he was. RIP Randy, you will be missed
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

So sorry to hear of Randy's passing. Met him for the first time in June of 2013 at Bill Ferguson's show and had a great visit. What a great talent and great guy... felt like I'd known him forever. Heartfelt condolences to friends and family.
Eddie Thomas

Randy Sorrell

Post by Eddie Thomas »

This is very sad to me, as Randy was one of my very first steel guitar influence, when I was starting out. He played here in Macon for a short while, but I had the pleasure of meeting him and started a friendship that lasted 35 years. He will be greatly missed!