where do you place your amp on stage?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Norbert Dengler

where do you place your amp on stage?

Post by Norbert Dengler »

guess most of us put it behind, on a stand or a case pretty close,
how about you?
:wink:
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Always behind me. I like to have maybe 10 feet, but most gigs I play, it is only maybe 3 feet or less. If it's a large place and mic'd, I usually have it to my left (or right depending on what side of the stage I am on), and have it off to my side pointing up at me.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Henry Senior

Post by Henry Senior »

I really struggle with this.

My amp always goes behind me, usually on the case so the speaker is head height.
I find it's usually too loud for my liking but in order to hear what I'm doing over the band it needs to be.

I sit too close to it, even though it's really loud, somehow it's less easy to hear what I'm playing.
I prefer to sit further, but as often as not the stage size does not permit.

Occasionally I get a monitor to myself, but on the occasions I have, if I put myself in the mix it's somehow confusing to listen to, so I stopped doing that. (Also, the rest of the band told me that it's highly egotistical to request onesself in one's monitor!)
Ray Montee

I might be strange...............

Post by Ray Montee »

I typically place mine on an available chair, about 3-6 feet behind me and on my LEFT SIDE.

I've placed it on my right side more than once and was never satisfied in the least as to what I was attempting to hear. I have 20/20 hearing so it's not a hearing loss thing but rather, a LEFT EAR PREFERRED
condition.

I've seen some who place the amp in front of them but I've NEVER been able to achieve satisfactory results or with it 10 to twelve behind me.[/i]
Richard Sinkler

Occasionally I get a monitor to myself, but on the occasions I have, if I put myself in the mix it's somehow confusing to listen to, so I stopped doing that. (Also, the rest of the band told me that it's highly egotistical to request onesself in one's monitor!)
Henry...

I think the rest of the band is clueless in your situation. But with that being said, I never, and I mean NEVER, want myself in a monitor mix that I can hear. I don't like hearing my guitar from 2 different directions with different tonality. In fact, I don't want any monitor anywhere near me. If I have been playing with a band for a little while, I know the material enough that I don't even need to hear much of the rest of the band. I know where my parts go and just need some reference point, and that is set by slightly hearing the rest of the band in the background. That is the reason I hate in-ear monitor. Unless you leave one off an ear, all you hear is the doctored tone set by the sound moron, I mean, sound man.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If I'm mic'd, I put it to my side aimed up at me, at a comfortable volume, with a monitor giving me EVERYBODY ELSE. I want to hear if I'm stepping on someone else's fills, I want to hear the guitar player if I'm gonna harmonize his/her licks.
If I'm not mic'd, I put it high and behind me. And try to judge my mix to the room.

As a side note, it was funny to listen to Bob and Sonny Osborne asking for adjustments to the monitors (their mics were next to each other, so they heard the same wedge). Sonny kept asking for more of Bobby, and Bobby kept asking for less of Bobby.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Behind me, just slightly right a couple feet, room permitting. Man i gotta hear myself. The ole hearing tain't what it onest was.
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

Henry Senior wrote:I really struggle with this.

My amp always goes behind me, usually on the case so the speaker is head height.
I find it's usually too loud for my liking but in order to hear what I'm doing over the band it needs to be.

I sit too close to it, even though it's really loud, somehow it's less easy to hear what I'm playing.

Henry, I wish I had a dollar, for every band that does what you describe.( They're all showing off, and walking on each other and you, and not using the least bit of teamwork!) IMHO, THAT'S egotistical, not you, who just wants to be able to hear himself! They probably don't realize, how hard it is to play on pitch, on a steel, without being able to hear! I recently attended a steel jam, and the staff band was doing just that. I had to turn my steel up, too loud, just so I could hear it! Then they had the nerve to ask me to turn my steel DOWN! When we finally took a break, I packed up my stuff, and took a permanent break! (Sorry for the rant, but that is a pet peeve of mine! :\)Ahem--oh yes, the topic! I almost always have to put my amp on a chair, close behind me, because of space limitations, but, like most of the others, I prefer to have it further behind me, and slightly to one side, or the other. Sometimes I think, it wouldn't be too bad to have a third ear on the back of my head! It would look funny, but probably would help solve the problem of hearing ones self! :lol: As a side note, the sound of an amp, will be louder, twenty or thirty feet out in front of the speaker, than directly in front of it, so if one is stuck close to their amp, because of limited stage space, that could exacerbate the problem, because now you're not only playing louder to hear yourself over the band, but also blowing out the audience, as well! -Jake-
Richard Sinkler

Lane Gray wrote:If I'm mic'd, I put it to my side aimed up at me, at a comfortable volume, with a monitor giving me EVERYBODY ELSE. I want to hear if I'm stepping on someone else's fills, I want to hear the guitar player if I'm gonna harmonize his/her licks.
If I'm not mic'd, I put it high and behind me. And try to judge my mix to the room.

As a side note, it was funny to listen to Bob and Sonny Osborne asking for adjustments to the monitors (their mics were next to each other, so they heard the same wedge). Sonny kept asking for more of Bobby, and Bobby kept asking for less of Bobby.
If it's a band I have been with for a while, I know exactly where my parts go, and I expect the same from other band members. The situation I was talking about, no matter where the monitors are, you can always hear one, or the mains enough to know what is happening. The last band I played with, and my current band, the guitar player is on the other side of the stage. I have no ned to hear him more than what I can hear from his amp, someone's monitor or the mains. If it is a band that I can't trust to have their parts down, I like to be next to the guitar player so we can communicate with each other.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I may be odd man out, but after trying several locations, find that I prefer (in mic'ed situations only!) to place my amp directly in front of me on an amp stand much as you would a monitor speaker. This I find enables me to use less stage volume and leaves both ears equally available to hear what the remainder of the band is doing.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Amp, beside me... speaker, to my left...
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Patrick Strain

Post by Patrick Strain »

Henry Senior wrote:I really struggle with this.

I couldn't disagree more. If you are asking for yourself in the monitor that probably means you're maintaining a reasonable stage volume. It has nothing to do with ego.
Sierra Crown D-10 8+4, Sierra S-10 3+4, Carter D-10 8+7, Carter Starter 3+ a lot of engineering problems
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i lay it on it's back at a slight angle ( like a wedge )
that way i can have the volume turned up & the volume goes up to the ceiling
Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 3 Sep 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

Both amps behind me on on very short amp stands that i made so i could tilt back slightly, one slightly off to my right, both about 3-4 ft back.
Rittenberry SD10, 2 nashville 112s with telonics speaker, behringer EPQ450 power amp, 705 pups, Telonics FP-100, live steel strings, mogami cords, wet reverb
John Peay

Post by John Peay »

I'm usually miced, so anywhere from 6-10 feet behind me and to left, floor level and tilted up towards me a bit. Based on this thread I'm going to try it closer, maybe 4 feet instead, I think I'll be able to hear myself better.

Often I'm the only one not using in-ears, I just don't like those things playing steel. Maybe I need to stay with 'em until I can deal with 'em, much as I did when I first put on fingerpicks!
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

I put mine right next to me on the left. The group I'm with uses in ears but I like having the amp right there to really hear how it sounds and have access to the controls
MSA Legend XL, Quilter Amps, Peterson Tuners.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

When I was younger, I used to put the amp 3 feet behind me on a chair or stand, and point it towards the back of my head. However, that works only with a pro band (who doesn't mike the drums and all that bullcrap). Nowadays, I set my tone with the amp like that, but then I just put it flat on the floor to play, speaker shooting under me and the steel. Volume peaks don't bother me that way, and it carries better out front. (Note: I seldom mike my amp.)
Adam Nero

Post by Adam Nero »

I use Cody's approach, too.

2 cheap dobros, several weird old lap steels, and one lifelong ticket to ride on the pedal steel struggle bus.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

just a few feet behind me, angled slightly toward me and tilted up slightly with a little rubber wedge i keep in the back of the amp.
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Henry Senior wrote:
(Also, the rest of the band told me that it's highly egotistical to request onesself in one's monitor!)
Your band mates have not played on a pro concert stage where a separate monitor designated mixer/soundman are to the side of the stage to give each player what they want in their monitors whether floor or IEM's ( in-ear ).

Even studios offer headphone mixers for each player to create their own headphone mixes.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 4 Sep 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Joe Naylor

What

Post by Joe Naylor »

If you have spent much time around lots of steel players. The main thing they say is ---- WHAT DID YOU SAY, WHAT

Maybe there is the reason - I know of a few that you NEVER have to say ;;;; TURN IT UP :)

NEW IDEA ---- set on it

just could not resist

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I want myself in my stage monitor. It keeps me at a stage volume that my soundman, whom I trust, to keep me balanced in the mains. In the GPN band I get my own steel/vocal monitor, with nothing else except lead vocals.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

My amp sits to my left, as in the photo below:-
That way I can reach all of the controls, make adjustments, plug in and unplug etc without leaving my seat. Works fine.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Depends on the room ambience and volume of the band. Behind me, sometimes on an amp stand leaning back, sometimes flat on the floor. Preferably to the left of me, since my right ear has a slight high tone loss.
I have all rack gear and can make all adjustments while sitting at my guitar, so it's just the speaker cabinet behind me.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Joe Naylor

most do

Post by Joe Naylor »

After talking to lots and lots of steel players and going to several shows. Most have a definite placement behind them or some to one side or the other. Many set them that way to (1) hear themselves but I think (2) habit from playing gigs.

I have had emails regarding the Seat-Amp and that was intended as a practice amp set up. Many use headphones, remote speakers, and more.

Some guitar players like it for small restaurant venues and churches for example.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP