Too Much Jazz!

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

as I said in a previous post; you go to hear the artist present their music.
if you don't like it, take a break?
but I have found out most times, if I stick around i'll hear something I like.
i could take jazz or leave it years ago, then Emmons opened up my ears to jazz..............
i hasn't been the same since. thanx buddy!
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
Don Lanier

Jazz Shoiw

Post by Don Lanier »

Totally enjoyed the Jazz Show, it was nice to hear talented Steelers playing great music other then Country, If this industry wants to grow it has to accept those that use the same instrument in different formats, I would love to see more jazz, one jazz show per day, those that dont enjoy Jazz can simply go visit the distributors, eat or take a nap....Doug and Dave I totally enjoyed your stuff...THANKYOU
Jerry Fessenden

too much jazz

Post by Jerry Fessenden »

" Mr. Justice it is quite in order to address me as Brian when you communicate with me on the forum. However, when I am teaching in class my students address me by my official college title, Dr. Brian Henry"

Does anyone know if Mr Fred Justice will be attending any classes that the "doc" will be lecturing ? BTW, what about bluegrass ?
Don Crowl

Post by Don Crowl »

Since this is a steel guitar music forum I find it appropriate to comment on perspectives related to steel & steeler's input relative to education addressed herein.

I too have earned a Doctorate. As many know, there doctors in many disciplines, not just in medicine, even though that is way it probably is commonly viewed. Since I had to complete a Master's degree on the way to a doctorate, in my humility, I desire to back-off from the doctor title. So just call me Master. Please don't really. Just kidding to make a point. Very bad joke probably, & hopefully not offensive to some folks.

When it comes to playing steel you can call me by a term related to being elementary, especially where I realize my skill has developed in comparison to the doctors of steel, whether they have earned a formal doctorate in music or not. They are at the very highest level. I can appreciate their skill in jazz improvisation, music education, & progress even though it might not ALWAYS please my ears. I suspect most of can & do so.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

That's funny Jerry, I wouldn't be attending B. Henry's classes no matter what he is lecturing.

I've read some of B. Henry's past threads, he likes to stir the pot if ya know what I mean.

Anybody that talks bad about my friend Doug J. automaticly gets on my bad side.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Thanks for saying it Fred, i sure wanted to, doug is everyone's friend, including mine. Look, this is the first year in our new home in St Louis. I think untill we get settled, find a place for everything, like seminars, and the jazz and hawaiian rooms, let's just all take a step back, take a deep breath, and stop the player bashing, and complaining. Lets give credit where credit is due, for the hard work already put in. :)
Graham

Re: Jazz Shoiw

Post by Graham »

Don Lanier wrote: those that dont enjoy Jazz can simply go visit the distributors, eat or take a nap....
Better that they save their money and stay home. You can listen to what you want to hear on the steel guitar radio.
Rebel�
Jim Cohen

Re: Jazz Shoiw

Post by Jim Cohen »

Graham wrote:
Don Lanier wrote: those that dont enjoy Jazz can simply go visit the distributors, eat or take a nap....
Better that they save their money and stay home. You can listen to what you want to hear on the steel guitar radio.
Nah, it's better still that they go and enjoy the parts that they enjoy and visit the exhibitors during the sets they don't enjoy. Nothing wrong with that and it still supports the event, allowing it to continue into the future. Listening for free on steelradio.com won't help keep the show afloat.
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Jim, Agreed!

There are plenty of opportunities to take breaks and do other things while at the convention.

I was extremely glad to attend this year! Of course, I enjoyed your performance with the aid of "Beetle Bob" cheering you on. Priceless!

:D
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
David Easley

Post by David Easley »

Well, I guess I'd like to enter into this discussion, not to defend anything, there's no need for that, (as others have pointed out, we all have the right to do as we please and listeners have the right to like it or not,) but just to share my own perspectives. The term "self-indulgent" comes up occasionally in regards to jazz music. I think of improvisation as a mining expedition and it's ultimately one's self that one is digging deep within but with the notion that whatever he digs up is intended not for private collection but for the enjoyment of all those in attendance. I'll try to add links to a couple of youtubes where the expeditions seemed successful to me. These are from one night in Boca Raton playing with my friend, Colonel Bruce Hampton's band.

In the standard, Pennies From Heaven, after the vocal and piano solo they handed it to me and I took 3 times through. 76 bars may seem "self-indulgent" when fabulous steel players in other styles often take 8 or 12 bars per song. Sometimes it may take 76 bars or more to play all the variations that seem appropriate to the place and time. A standard like this is always an exploration but within the confines of the song. Though I went further afield each time through, in my heart, I never left the song. The Colonel Bruce Hampton original, Zambi, seems to lend itself to more "far-out" explorations but still never forgetting the heart of the song, "Zambi has just one demand, peace and happiness throughout the land."

A selfish thing that Doug or I could do would be to accept gigs that are offered during labor day weekend. Why share what we know with other steel players who could take that knowledge and go out and play those enormously fun gigs in our stead? One reason I keep showing up is because Doug keeps showing up and Bob, Kyle, Jim, and others who enjoy jazz. Any kind of improvisational music involves unique, shared moments of joy. That's the root word of "enjoy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_o3nONp2ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpGhw_L3mGI

Thanks, Doug, Jim, Scotty, Scotty Jr and everybody for all you do for the steel guitar!
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Dave,

Great post! Thanks for the contribution to this popular commentary,as it appears.

And, thanks for your contributions during the show.
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Like I always say: Easley does it! :)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Great minds think alike. ;)
Earl Briggs

Post by Earl Briggs »

It Does Not Matter What Kind Of Music.It is great what Doug and David are doing.It is PEDAL STEEL,In conventions of the past.we had curly,maurice,julian,speedy,they all played jazz to.that was great.Doug was there then.and there now.and David....Wow........Earl
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

One thing that may be overlooked by many of us, who although listen to jazz players, don't necessarily play Jazz, me being one of them.

Dave E. properly stated the case..it may very well take 2 or 3 rides to get to the "groove"...One of my favorite guitar players, Robben Ford, states this often, he says it may take two solo's to build up to the third, where the good stuff arrives !
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Yes! I like it!
Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

I am having soo much fun reading all these posts..... (Sarcastic evil laugh!!!!!)
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Yes, Scott, I agree it is so hilarious.
Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Wow Dave! I never heard jazz steel played like that....awesome.
I especially liked Lucky Old Sun.
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
Greg Vice

Post by Greg Vice »

Those who stir the s---- should have to lick the spoon!! Really jazz got my c6 neck cleaned. Wow what a statement about one of the best players and gentleman
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

WOW!! I really don't know what to say about all this.
No, Mr. Cohen, not all great minds run in the same grove. I think that was a very unfair statement, it was as if you as a jazz picker was greater than all the honky tonk players. Music is music and should be enjoyed at all levels and not be beating some one up because they think different. I think Mr. Henry had the right as a paying customer to voice his opinion.
After all it is the everyday honky tonk picker that is there and helping pay the tab. Without guys like him and me their would not be a convention. It is a big undertaking and expensive for Scotty and his crew to provide this convention and everyone should realize that this is not about pleasing just a few with great minds but is for everyone. If we want this convention to stay afloat we need to open our minds and know that we all do not think alike. And for the record I am not a jazz lover but will listen to it and appreciate what that picker is doing and when I have had my fill I go somewhere else. It is that simple. Just my two cents worth, J.R. Rose
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

JR, I think you misunderstood my post. I was not intending to imply that I have a great mind, or that mine is any better than anyone else's. I was commenting, in a light-hearted way, on the fact that Brian had posted the exact same language that Charley had written a few posts earlier. Given their prior dispute - and their now apparent agreement down to each word - I thought it was humorous to comment that their two great minds (now appear to) think alike. It has nothing to do with me and my musical preferences. Sorry if that wasn't clear to you or others, JR.

By the way, it seems that Brian has since modified that post, so the same language as Charley's no longer appears in this thread. If you came into this thread after that change, and that's when you read my "great minds" comment, then you would understandably have no reason to have understood the basis for my comment. That's one of the risks inherent in being able to change one's post after others have commented on it. :(

Oh, and by the way, I agree with all your other statements about Mr. Henry having a right to voice his opinion, and how it takes all kinds of folks with diverse interests to keep the steel show funded and afloat, how the convention is for everyone and how those who don't care for the style being played during any given half-hour or hour-long segment can go elsewhere for a little while. In fact, I think I've made all those points myself in prior posts in this thread. You see, great minds do think alike! ;) ;)
Wally Moyers

Re: Too Much Jazz!

Post by Wally Moyers »

Brian Henry wrote:I have enjoyed most of the players so far and it's so good to hear the beautiful tone and sustain of the pedal steel guitar. Dare I say that I did not really enjoy hearing all the jazz numbers at the show. I am sure these players enjoy playing jazz and endless improvising but it just hurts my ears.
The original post that started this thread was totally different than the one above.. Makes all of us that made comments regarding the first post sound like we are nick picking… I didn't know you could continue to edit your post every time someone disagreed with something you said… Appears its been edited 4 times?Makes this thread kind of worthless if you ask me… I have enjoyed some of the side conversations though :roll: