Little Buddy

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Hargraves

Little Buddy

Post by Jack Hargraves »

Has anybody heard of a steel guitar called a little buddy? If so, is it a peddle steel?
GFI Expo SD10, Nashville 112, Steelers choice Pak-a- seat, Carter vol. pedal, Stage one vol. pedal, Peavey Deltafex. Goodrich volume pedal.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

That was my first guitar. It was ok. The Sho Bud Maverick was a better student model.

Tony
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

It's a pedal steel generally regarded as the second worst one ever inflicted on the market.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
David Rupert

Ditto, Tony....1st Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by David Rupert »

Tony Dingus wrote:That was my first guitar. It was ok. The Sho Bud Maverick was a better student model.

Tony
Man, you beat me by just a minute or two. Lol.

Ditto, Tony....this was my 1st Pedal Steel Guitar, also. It was pretty low end, to say the least. But, was better than nothing! Got my 1st Emmons, SD-10...about a month or so later. My Dad rented it for me from Sam Ash Music, in L.I.

I think it had only 1 or 2 knees. 3 pedals. It had a built in volume pedal, which was just another pedal, on the pedal board...that controlled a volume pot.

I have a picture, from 1975. I'll try to post it. I'm on my iPhone now.
David "DJ" Rupert

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

David, mine had 3 pedals and 1 knee and a built in volume pedal like you're talking about. It was better than nothing. I later traded it for a Maverick.

Tony
David Rupert

Post by David Rupert »

Tony,

I'll post a pic of me & the steel, later tonight. It wouldn't load it to the forum, on my iPhone 5s.

It's pretty laughable. From 1975!
David "DJ" Rupert

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

David Rupert

Post by David Rupert »

Here's the "Little Buddy" & me. 1975.

yikes! :lol:
David "DJ" Rupert

Jack Hargraves

Post by Jack Hargraves »

Thanks for all the input fellas. A friend of mine was just asking if I knew anything about them and I told him I didn't, but I knew where to look. And, as always you guys came through. Thanks.
GFI Expo SD10, Nashville 112, Steelers choice Pak-a- seat, Carter vol. pedal, Stage one vol. pedal, Peavey Deltafex. Goodrich volume pedal.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

I have sat down at one and it was the worst pedal steel I have ever played. Stay away unless it is priced at or below $100 and will be played by a rank beginner with no other option for a steel. I have unfortunately seen them sell for several hundreds dollars. :(
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Was it coincidence or a clever marketing strategy that this abomination was named the Little 'Buddy'?
Floyd Havner

Post by Floyd Havner »

A very good friend of mine and an accomplished steel player was passing through Modesto about 15 years ago and stopped by my house and dumped one of those "Little Buddy" steels on me and said "it's time you learned to play the steel". At the time Barry Thomas was still building steels here in Modesto so I stopped by his shop and told him about my acquisition. He looked at me and made an awful facial gesture and said, "boy you must want to learn to play really bad". I didn't know how bad it really was until a few years later I was able to acquire one of barry's steels. But if you want to learn to play really bad it will get you going.
Good Luck
2003 Carter D10, 2010 Carter D10, Digitech RP350, Nady stereo power amp, and Eminence EPS-15C speakers.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Anyone remember the child version, had six strings with three pedals but no changer, therefore the pedals were strictly for show. According to the ads. there were intended to teach the student foot placement.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Nice Dave. Mine was blue.

Tony
Terry Winter

Post by Terry Winter »

The Little Buddy was my first steel and I quickly moved up and traded it for a MSA Sidekick which I found to be a lot better but still needed to move on as soon as I could afford it......never regretted trading them both!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Tony Dingus wrote:David, mine had 3 pedals and 1 knee and a built in volume pedal like you're talking about. It was better than nothing. I later traded it for a Maverick.

Tony
They are only marginally better than nothing! :lol:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

David Nugent wrote:Was it coincidence or a clever marketing strategy that this abomination was named the Little 'Buddy'?
I always thought it was the brand of steel played by Alan Hale
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Lynn Gray
Location: Missouri by way of Virginia, a little Tennessee and with deep Texas roots, USA

Post by Lynn Gray »

My first "steel"...$125 from a pawn shop....learned string grips and basic AB pedal and open chords/notes/sounds.....lasted about a month before I got a StageOne....sold the Buddy for $125 .....that was 14 months ago :)
Zum Encore, Mullen G2, Walker StereoSteel, Peavey NV112
David Rupert

Little Buddy

Post by David Rupert »

Tony Dingus wrote:Nice Dave. Mine was blue.

Tony
Thanks, Tony! I've never seen any others, except for 1 on eBay, last week. It was WAY overpriced!! I THINK, around $800. They've been drinkin the Kool-Aid!! :)
David "DJ" Rupert

Jack Hargraves

Post by Jack Hargraves »

I Didn't think it was a very good guitar when my friend asked me about it, that's why I wanted to check it out for him. I told him what you guys all said and he was grateful. It kept him from getting a bad deal, so thanks again fellas.