Who could make a Van Eps-style string damper?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Am I right in thinking that you want to play without using any open strings? If so, a rubber nut would work, but it wouldn't be instantly removable. A length of rubber rod of the right diameter slipped under the strings would also work.

On an acoustic guitar, a screw capo at the nut tightened just enought to touch the strings but not enough to hold them down would have the same effect.

By the way, Fender cable-operated D10 pedal steel guitars came with built-in dampers, but they were at the bridge end to dampen the strings of the neck you weren't using.
Jim Myers

String Damper

Post by Jim Myers »

I have been thinking of doing the same thing for a guitar I'm building. I recently sold this Fender Bass VI which had a Fender mute on it and I think this will work for a steel. When you press on the back side it pushes up the rubber end and kind of snaps in so it mutes the strings. Something the Ventures did on some of their songs.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Thas what I'm talkin' 'bout! And one could use soft felt for even more deadening ability.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I have no problem with achieving that type of damping with my right hand for effect, but I need it to keep the open strings from ringing at the nut.

I have put a piece of foam there for now, but haven't really gotten into it yet.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I'm confused Mike! Which side of the nut are you trying to dampen? The strings in the key head? Or the playing length of the strings?
If it's the open "playing" strings, the damper can be at either end of the guitar. Of course if it's at the nut, you can still play the strings, just not open.
David Stilley

How 'bout this?

Post by David Stilley »

Chapman Sticks use a piece of Velcro (the fuzzy half of course) under the strings on the first fret near the nut. It's on all the time though. But I think the Velcro material is superior to spongy rubber insulation stuff that been suggested. That stuff changes the pitch intonation of the neck too much when activated. Kind of like you would if you used finger pressure. That changes the vibrational length of the string. I have an old 60's Japanese solid body electric banjo with that foam crap on the bridge mute to help create a more banjo like tone instead of the Strat like tone it has. I saw a guy on you tube who plays a like 16 string "Bass". He uses a hair scrunchy thing like some girls use for a pony tail holder that doesn't tear your hair up. He just slipped it toward the tuning heads behind the nut when he didn't want it to dampen. Then when he needed it it just slipped down the other side of the nut and ...Voila!
GFI Ultra U-12 7+5 E9/B6, Roland Cube 80XL, Telonics FP-100 Volume pedal with TMRS remote sensor (courtesy of Dave Beaty and Telonics)
Michael Breid

String dampers for arch top guitars.

Post by Michael Breid »

Since I couldn't find a Van Eps string damper I put together a thing I called SUSGARD. Sandy DeVito, and I think Chuck Wayne also gave me the idea. It's a small piece of hardwood (rosewood, ebony), and felt is glued to it. I used piano felt, but it was too thick and threw the damper off balance. I wound up using just regular craft felt. I first used a rubber band to hold it on, but it quickly rotted and fell off. I use quarter inch elastic now, with eyelets on each end. I put a small brad in one end of the wood sticking out about 1/8" and a small screw at the other end. The screw holds one end secure while the band can be attached and removed from the nail. Sometime I put a small radius in the wood before I glue on the felt. You can try different lengths of elastic until you get the right damping pressure on your strings. I've used these for over thirty years, and they work well for me.