Is Jay McDonald alive and well ??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Hoetker

Is Jay McDonald alive and well ??

Post by Gary Hoetker »

It's been awhile since there has been a post about him.
Troy Porter

Post by Troy Porter »

Gary, I would also like to know about Jay. He set up my first guitar for me. Fender 400. He played that guitar on one of the Buckaroo concerts at the Riverside ballroom in Phoenix Arizona. I think that was his last tour with Buck.
Gary Hoetker

Follow-up for Troy Porter re Jay McDonald

Post by Gary Hoetker »

Hi Troy,

Thanks for your reply.That's a cool story. I assume Jay was a good guy too. Do you know where he came from ? I think one of the best steel solo's ever recorded is his rendition on the Fender 1000 of "Release Me" featured on Buck Owens "On The Bandstand" LP released in 1963. He played with such creativity,and emotion. I hope someday Jay will receive due consideration for the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in St.Louis.
Troy Porter

Post by Troy Porter »

Gary, That was the first song I ever played on steel guitar. Thanks to Jay. He showed me how it was done. The pedal setup was kind of weird and I didn't have any knee levers. I don't know where he was actually from but he told me he was going to Las Vegas to be with his children when he left the buckaroos. I would sure like to talk to him again and thank him for helping me get started on the steel. If you hear anything about him, please let me know.

Troy
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

You can listen to Jay play Release Me at this link: http://magicjukebox.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... se-me.html
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Troy Porter

Post by Troy Porter »

Thanks Dave... That sure brings back some fond memory's. Haven't heard that in years. I still have the album but nothing to play it on. Don Rich sure sounded good too.
Gary Hoetker

Post by Gary Hoetker »

Thanks to all of you who responded. That's the real value of the Forum hearing from the other members especially those that like The West Coast Country era.
Best regards.
Don Euton

Post by Don Euton »

Jay played on Buck`s " Sweethearts In Heaven " and I believe on " House Down The Block" also.

Don Euton