Bob Lucier Music Co.?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Winfield

Bob Lucier Music Co.?

Post by Mike Winfield »

I have a Sho-bud LDG, 3 and 5. On the underside it has a sticker that reads Bob Lucier Music Co.
Missisauga, Ont., 1983. I believe that they added the left vertical knee on the guitar because it is not original. Any of you old Canadian steelers know anything about this store or this instrument?
Thanks,
Mike Winfield
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

Mike, I was at his store once in the 80's, & at that time he was working out of his home, & did a lot of work on Sho-Buds. He was an awesome steel player, & played steel for some time on the Tommy Hunter Show.. If you get in touch with Al Briscoe (Steel Guitar Canada), he could probably tell you more about Bob... Bob also has at least one record out & possibly more...
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Bobby once operated a music store in the Clarkson Ont. area called Southdown Music. He sold steels, accessories and other musical instruments. When the store closed down, he operated the steel end out of his house. I had 4 pedals installed on my S-12 Sho-Bud by him at the time (early 80s) and he did great work. He also was the most in-demand session steeler in the Toronto area playing on hundreds of recordings, jingles etc. He also held the steel chair on the Tommy Hunter show from the mid '70's until it's demise. A great guy and a great steeler, one of my mentors.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

AMG All Music credits Bob with these recordings:
Bill Amesbury Can You Feel It
David Essig Redbird Country & High Ground (1999)
John McDermott Danny Boy (1992) Guitar (Steel)
John McDermott Battlefields of Green: Songs Of... (1993) Guitar (Steel)
John McDermott Danny Boy Collection (1998) Guitar (Steel)
Anne Murray New Kind of Feeling (1979) Guitar (Steel)
Anne Murray Christmas Wishes (1981) Guitar (Steel)
Anne Murray Let's Keep It That Way/New Kind of (1999) Pedal Steel, Guitar (Steel)
Anne Murray I'll Always Love You/Somebody's... (2001) Dobro, Guitar (Steel)
Anne Murray What a Wonderful Christmas (2001) Guitar (Steel)
Ron Nigrini Ron Nigrini (1975) Guitar
Ronnie Prophet Ronnie Prophet (1977) Guitar (Steel)
The Rankin Family North Country [1994] (1994) Lap Steel Guitar
Silver & Degazio Just Between Us (1989) Guitar (Steel)
Stormin' Norman & Suzy Ocean of Love (1978) Guitar (Steel)
Jesse Winchester Let the Rough Side Drag (1976) Guitar (Steel)
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Bob released a great Cd last year. He can also be heard on the opening track of the Northern Steel CD.

He now plays a Fulawaka SD10 straight thru a Nashville 400. He sounds so great that you wonder why you'd need anything else.

Bob's well respected as one of the best anywhere. The store is long gone.
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Yes your right on the money Joey,I believe that Bob has an endorsement with Ed Falawka, great player, great guitar.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Just for the record:

Bob bought his 2 Fulawka steels from Ed, just like Ricky Davis did. Neither have an endorsement from Ed.

As well as the album mentioned above, Bob also recorded a couple of albums with Shot Jackson, Steeling With A Dobro and Straight Ahead. Also a steel album entitled Nerves Of Steel. I'm sure there is more but that is all I have of him. Good set of tracks available from his Eleven Favorites cd as well. Believe Al Brisco has them for sale.

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Graham on 10 January 2004 at 12:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I count myself among Bob Lucier's friends. I took lessons from him for my first two years on steel, and bought three Sho~Buds from him, including my current Super~Pro, which has 10 and 10.

Bob Lucier favored LDG models, so if you got one with his sticker on it, it is going to be a well built axe! The OP is correct, that the vertical Knee lever was probably added by Bob, because the factory shipped most of them with four stock knees, unless ordered otherwise. He also created a trick knee lever that was pushed forward by the left knee, but I don't recall what it did. I do know that he sold and modified more Sho~Bud steel guitars than I can think to count, and they all played superbly.

Nobody has mentioned that Bob Lucier played for Bill Anderson and The Po Boys. He was also the first steel guitarist with the famous Johnny Burke and Eastwind, which band I had the honor of playing with in 1983. Bob teamed up with Mel Aucoin and Cliff Short, also part of Eastwind, to open Southdown Music, with a lot of help from Shot Jackson.
Southdown Music was a Sho~Bud store from stem to stern. The pros and recording artists who dropped in at Southdown Music were the Who's Who of their day.

There is a lot more to be said about Bob Lucier, whom I consider one of the most important influences in my 30 year career as a steel guitarist. Hats off to you buddy, and "Nall Right!"

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
AIM Screenname: Wizcrafts
Sho~Bud Super~Pro with 10 and 10, L710s and aluminum fingers from Bobbe Seymour. Nashville 400 amp with Peavey Mod. and a Goodrich LDR volume pedal.
I use and endorse Jagwire Strings.

Keep Steelin' but don't get caught!
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 14 January 2004 at 09:56 PM.]</p></FONT>