FS1948 Gibson ES-150-SOLD PLS CLOSE DONATION FORTHCOMING

Guitars, fiddles, banjos, keyboards, clarinets, bagpipes, etc.
Bill Manning

FS1948 Gibson ES-150-SOLD PLS CLOSE DONATION FORTHCOMING

Post by Bill Manning »

Regrettably, I’m selling my 1948 Gibson ES-150. It’s a wonderful player in very good condition, with a very sweet, rich jazz tone. I purchased it from a reputable dealer in the Nashville area who bought it from a pro player—and it has been played. To me, it has “the tone,” and I would not be selling were it not for imminent financial concerns.

FON stamp inside the body puts it at 1948. It’s a full-depth 17” archtop with a scale length of 25.5 inches. Top, sides, and back are slab-cut maple. The neck is mahogany and the board is rosewood. The original P-90 is strong and clear, sounds great. Original rosewood bridge. The neck is solid and straight and the action is great, currently set low at approximately 2mm at the 12th fret, low E side (using Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 13’s), with room to screw the saddle down farther (not that you’d need to). The neck is a comfortable medium C shape, and the nut width is 1 21/32”. It plays real smooth and easy.

It has had a recent, very professional fret job, and there’s no fret wear whatsoever. The volume and tone controls are original and electronics are in good shape. The original tuners were replaced at some point with open-back Grovers, which work well. Trapeze part of the tailpiece is original but the base plate was replaced (prior to my owning the guitar) with an old Epi Frequensator, which is not a perfect fit and probably required re-drilling at least one of the screw holes. Nevertheless, the unit is solid and works fine.

Cosmetically, it shows wear typical of a 66-year-old guitar that’s been played but not abused. There’s lacquer checking but no cracking or flaking. The binding is in good shape and intact, with one noticeable split/gap of about 1/8” on the backside binding, but it was glued and is very solid. There are dings and scratches here and there but no splits or cracks or gouges in the wood. Somebody drilled a small hole in the back of the headstock; fortunately, he stopped short of it going through the faceplate (from the front, you don’t know it’s there). The original Lifton case is basically shot. It will protect the guitar fine for shipping but will need some work if you want to use it to transport the guitar on a regular basis.

It’s a great player, with price reduced to SOLD plus shipping and PayPal fee (if you use PayPal to pay). U.S. lower 48 only, please. Would love a NY metro deal.

Additional pix at http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/fireb ... t=6&page=1

Thanks.
Last edited by Bill Manning on 17 Sep 2014 6:56 am, edited 10 times in total.
Jim Saunders

Gibson

Post by Jim Saunders »

I had an ES-125 for many years and it was a sweet playing guitar. It is very similar to the ES-150. The ES meant electric Spanish, and the 150 was the original price range. A lot of jazz players used them, and Eldon Shamblin played one also.

Good luck with the sale. It should make someone a nice guitar. If you look at some of the "distressed" Fender guitars, they look like they were towed behind a pickup on a gravel road.
Bill Manning

Post by Bill Manning »

Thanks, Jim. Pretty funny how they numbered their models, back in the day. Agreed, there are some obvious similarities with the ES-125 but an extra inch to the body and the longer scale length make a huge difference. In my experience, the 150 is much more articulate in its voice.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Thats a wonderful guitar at a great price !! If i knew for sure my heritage guitar was sold i would be very tempted,,,and i agree the 150 is a lot more guitar than the 125. Check out ther listings for thes guitars, you will see it is a fantastic price !
Good luck on the sale, someone is going to get a great guitar !!!
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Bill Manning

Post by Bill Manning »

Thanks, Larry. Your Heritage is really beautiful. Please sell it fast so you can pick this one up.:) You wouldn't be disappointed!
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Plywood+mahogany+25 1/2"scale+P-90= my absolute favorite electric jazz guitar tone.
I have owned or own L-5's, Super 400's, ES-350's,etc. but my '52 ES-150 is my all time favorite.
Kevin McIntyre

Post by Kevin McIntyre »

Nice looking guitar. I wondered if you offer a 2 or 3 day trial period such as sellers do over on the Vintage Martin Forum? Also curious if this is the original pickup and if the pole pieces are adjustable. Thanks.
Bill Manning

Post by Bill Manning »

Kevin,

The P90 is original and it has adjustable pole pieces. As for a trial period, I am fully confident in the quality, playability, and tone of this guitar, but being a private seller and not a dealer, I'm uncomfortable with the idea. Nevertheless, I'm willing to consider it based on further conversation. Sending you a PM. Thanks.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I sent ou an email. Thanks
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Bill Manning

Post by Bill Manning »

Larry, I did not receive an email from you.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I sent you a pm now...the jest of it is that my heritage has sold on another forum but the deal wont go thru untilaug 16th when we meet in dallas and he approves of it...then i will have the funds and fould comit to your guitar
Bill Manning

Post by Bill Manning »

After giving it some thought, I would agree to a conditional 48-hour trial period for the right person. Please contact me if you're a serious buyer and want to go that route. Thanks much.
Bill Manning

Post by Bill Manning »

No takers? This is a nice guitar....
Bill Manning

Post by Bill Manning »

New price reduction.