Emmons or Day?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Are your E9th pedals Emmons (ABC) or Day (CBA)?

Poll ended at 21 Aug 2014 10:48 am

Emmons (ABC)
84%
Day (CBA)
14%
other
1%

Total votes: 251

David Cubbedge

Post by David Cubbedge »

I voted for Emmons as that's what I currently use, but my old Emmons S10 is a Day setup..so I have both!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Add one more to the Emmons count. My wife, but she is not a registered forum member so she cant vote.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bob Miano
Location: Bergenfield, N.J. (home of "some" country music) - deceased

Post by Bob Miano »

*** EMMONS ***

Bob Miano
Zum/Derby D-10's
b0b

Post by b0b »

Jack Stoner wrote:Add one more to the Emmons count. My wife, but she is not a registered forum member so she cant vote.
Can't do that. Sorry.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jim Means

Post by Jim Means »

Ian Rae wrote:I wonder how many Day players had a first guitar that happened to be set up that way, vs. how many made a deliberate change later on. (Won't start a new poll just yet.... :) ) - oh, and at the time of writing the radio buttons have disappeared again!
Started on Emmons setup, switched to Day setup about a year in.

Jim in Missouri
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Obvious question, Jim - why?
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Jim Means

Post by Jim Means »

Ian Rae wrote:Obvious question, Jim - why?
Comfort. The second guitar I bought was already set up Day. I thought about changing it but had wanted to try the Day setup because of stress on my left knee. It was unbelievably more comfortable. Try this experiment: Stand up and cock your foot to the outside (simulating Day setup), then cock it to the inside (simulating Emmons setup) and see which one puts more stress on your ankle and knee.

The Day setup is less convenient if you want to set in on someone's guitar since there are more Emmon's players, but I just couldn't ignore the fact that the Day was better for me. YMMV :D

Jim in Missouri
Last edited by Jim Means on 25 Jun 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Just goes to show the majority usually has it wrong :)

bob
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Jim Means wrote:
Ian Rae wrote:Obvious question, Jim - why?
Comfort. The second guitar I bought was already set up Day. I thought about changing it but had wanted to try the Day setup because of stress on my left knee. It was unbelievably more comfortable. Try this experiment: Stand up and cock your foot to the outside (simulating Day setup), then cock it to the inside (simulating Emmons setup) and see which one puts more stress on your ankle and knee.

The Day setup is less convenient if you want to set in on someone's guitar since there are more Emmon's players, but I just couldn't ignore the fact that the Day was better for me. YMMV :D

Jim in Missouri
It's like night and DAY, isn't it Jim.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Means

Post by Jim Means »

Richard,

Not saying it is better, but it sure works best from me after having played both. And it is like "night and Day" for me. :lol:

By the way Richard, I really enjoy your posts and hope this finds you feeling better physically.

Jim in Missouri
Jerry Hendrix

Emmons or Day !

Post by Jerry Hendrix »

I`m a Day set-up guy, been that way since 1959,thanks to my friend Mr. Norman Hamlet..& YES.. I have changed
over everything from Emmons` push pulls to Carters`
Rustlers`, GFi`s, & yes the easiest is the Mullen..
Didn`t mean to leave out the old Fender cable jobs..
We may be little in numbers, but we make up for it in Courage..Always fighting the system...ha ha..
Jerry Hendrix Manistee, Michigan :D
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

It might be of interest to know if the 80-20 ratio is maintained in the higher echelons of pedal steel, ie there might be a higher number of Day players amongst the professional/more competent players, who knows, it might be 50-50
b0b

Post by b0b »

The so-called "higher echelons" are mostly older players. I suspect that if I could poll young players, the results would be skewed more towards ABC.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Michael McNeill

Emmons or Day

Post by Michael McNeill »

ABC pedal set up. I also like the E's raised and lowered on the left knee levers. It took a while when I changed over from Sho-Bud.
Michael McNeill

Emmons or Day

Post by Michael McNeill »

ABC pedal set up. I also like the E's raised and lowered on the left knee levers. It took a while when I changed over from Sho-Bud.